close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cell - a short review

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Glockness Mnstr, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Glockness Mnstr

Glockness Mnstr

I got CELL, by Stephen King, for Christmas and just finished it a few days ago. I enjoyed the book a lot and thought a lot of people on here would enjoy it as well. The plot involves everyone going crazy after they use their cell phones. Its a large scale SHTF situation with a majority of the population in a zombie state. Of course the main characters get their hands on some guns and get multiple chances to use them.

I do know that a lot of you are driven crazy by anti gun liberal speak, so I feel I should warn you as well as point out something that was said that drove me nuts.

One character thinks as he finds a gun, "He shook out one of the other loads, knowing just what he would find. Beth Nickerson's .45 was loaded with highly illegal cop-killer bullets. Fraggers."
    I know this is not exactly King's opinion, just a display of his characters ignorance, but I really wish he didnt perpetuate this myth.

I loved every other page of the book other than the one I just mentioned.
    Anyone else read this book?
    What did you think?

John

2. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

I don't think King cares much about gun research. I have been reading his Gunslinger series, wherein one of the main characters is armed with a Ruger 44 Auto pistol.

3. Glockness Mnstr

Glockness Mnstr

I read the series and loved it. I finished it about 5 or 6 months ago. Right after I finished the series I began reading up and learning as much as I could about guns (and becoming what my friends think of as a gun nut) as I was going to be turning 21 and would finaly have a chance to own one. I am sure that if I were crazy enough to reread the entire series King would probably drive me crazy with how he talked about the guns.

Are you talking about the gun Jake got from his father? After I was done reading the books and learned more about Rugers, I guessed that it was a Super Blackhawk he was refering to.

4. Chuck Perry

Chuck Perry

Yes, that's the one. There are only two possibilities for a 44 Auto handgun. Either one that chambers the 44 Magnum cartridge (Desert Eagle and LAR Grizzly) or one that chambers the 44 Automag cartridge (AMT Automag and Wildey pistols). The only 44 semi auto that Ruger has ever produced is a carbine. All the other Ruger 44's are revolvers for the 44 Magnum. Ruger never chambered a firearm for the 44 Automag cartridge.
    Still, it's a great series and one that I have been enjoying immensely. I have yet to read the final book in the series, so no spoilers please. Probably pick it up in the next month or so. I usually need a break after finishing one. I just finished Song of Susanahh and am currently reading a few Higgins "Dillon" novels right now.

5. Dandapani

Dandapani

I'm reading the book now and just hit this part. I was going to post a new thread but I googled search first and found your post. I about slipped off the toilet while reading this line you quoted above.

I knew where this was headed when I came across the gun description:
    And then later King wrote:
    And
    Sheesh...

6. Oasis

Oasis

Like so many other good writers, King undermines his credibility through inaccuracies in his descriptions of firearms and their use. However, he is far from a rabid anti-gunner. I think he is pretty neutral on this particular issue.

"Cell" represents some of King's better writing in quite a while....right up to the point where he slapped on that cheap, abrupt, sell out of an ending that would deserve no better than a "D-" in a Junior College "Introduction To Fiction Writing" class.

7. Glockness Mnstr

Glockness Mnstr

I totally agree with you. It was such a great book right up until the last page. I'm not all that big on happy, sugar-coated endings, but what he did seemed like he just got tired of writing and stamped it with a "the end"

8. ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

lol, im reading 'The Ambler Warning' by Robert Ludlum and i just got to the part where Ambler meets a guy in an airport lounge and relieves him of his "...small Glock.". which he (Ludlum) then describes as "...the body was made of plastic and ceramic; the slide contained less metal than was found in a typical belt buckle. the odds that it would set off a metal detector were low..."

lmfao...

[/semi-hijack]