Celeron v Pentium

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by beefums, Nov 5, 2005.

1. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Im working out what I want for my laptop and I was wondering, which is better for me? A celeron or a pentium? Its basically going to be for word processing, internet, watching dvds, and listening to music.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'm not real familiar with Laptop CPU's, but with desktops, while hte Celerons have come a LONG way from where they used to be, the Pentium is still usually a better chip.

However, for your minimal needs, I would think a Celeron would be fine...

IGF

Edit: Actually, I just saw your previous thread, reference Washington DC's post on this. He knows his stuff, so I'd trust his judgement.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Memory might be more important than processor speed these days.Windows XP SP2 and current security software needs quite a bit of memory.Run at least 512MB of RAM.1GB would be best but you could get away with half that.

4. alank2

alank2

Hi,

Try to go with a Pentium M processor in a laptop these days. These processors run so much cooler than the Pentium 4 Mobile ones. They may have a lower clock speed, but they do more per mhz so they are the way to go. I think there are Celeron M's as well, but I'm not sure.

Good Luck,

Alan

5. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

my question has just changed. Ok here it is: which has a better rep and can take interchangable after market parts better? Toshiba or HP. Because I can get a HP with a faster processor AMD processor for less, but a more expensive Toshiba with an Intel Pentium.

6. podwich

podwich

Stuck with Toshiba or HP? I'm a fan of Thinkpads (IBM/Lenovo).

7. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Can HPs or Toshibas or even IBMs take after market parts? This way I can update after I buy it?

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Fpr the most part most notebooks can take the same aftermarket parts.

9. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

not Dell and Gateway. I found that out the hard way when I tried to update my Gateway a while ago. The computer guy down the street said Dell is the same way.

10. Toyman

Toyman

Run away from Toshiba. Run away!

11. alank2

alank2

Hi,

My first choice would be Compaq/HP because I am familiar with them, but I am considering a Thinkpad this time around... The Thinkpad I'm looking at is a few hundred less than the HP competing model.

Thanks,

Alan

12. jmatteau

jmatteau

I'm voting for Toshiba. It is a laptop and it is the best computer I have ever owned.

13. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Toshiba denied my financing. :( Still searching for a decent brand.

14. nikegolf13

nikegolf13 bumpy knuckles

My girlfriend just got a Compaq with a AMD Turion 64 CPU. I was very impressed as to how fast it runs! AMDs site claims it supossed to run around 1400Mhz. I keep my PC simple, not a lot of things running, very clean and simple. She has 5 billions things running and her little laptop boots faster and starts things faster than me! I was impressed.

15. atlp99

atlp99

i'll second that the AMD 64 chips are fast. My new laptop runs a Pentium M , My parents just bought a new cmputer runnig an AMD athlon 64. I am very happy with the speed and battery life with my laptop. The Athlon boots and runs FAST. It blew me away how much faster in runs. I know that it is kind of apples to oranges with the laptop vs. desktop but I did not expect this big of a speed difference.

16. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

HP/Compaq

;0

Those things are terrible.

try www.ibuypower.com

Not a big name, but every mag review they are in the score very well and they don't tack on the big name price. I bought a tower from them about 3 years ago. I was very impressed with what I got for the dollar.

As for the big names I would say Toshiba, but you said tehy denied your financing. Try for a personal loan from your bank if you can't get financing throught the computer company.

17. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I am a huge AMD fan (haven't owned an intel powered system yet), but the desktop style processors are quite different than the laptop processors. The desktop ones are designed to crank out the power and they suck down the power as well since it will be hooked to the wall socket permanantly. The laptop type processors (pentium M and such) are designed to conserve battery life and keep things cool in the cramped spaces of a laptop case. They have to sacrifice power to do so.

So as you said, yeah it's apples to oranges.