Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been looking at houses and I've noticed (~$300K to $500K range) there are no pot racks hanging from the ceiling anymore.

Was that another fad that came and went?

Reactions: CAcop and Rotn1

·
Registered
14,310 Posts
I think so. At least the big ones that would hang over the Islands.

When we moved into our current home in 2007 there was a big hanging pot rack over the center island.
I thought it was cool.
It took about a year before I realized all it did was restrict the sight lines and make the room look smaller / constricted.
Took it out and much better
(Our House was built in ‘97)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I’m the dishwasher and my wife is the dryer/putter-awayer. When I wash and place item on drying pad next to sink, the items are soon put away in the cabinets or drawers so fliers won’t land on them.

I would go crazy if my dishes, pots, pans, cups and utensils were left in the open. I think the racks look good, but they would remain unused in our house.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Reactions: pgg00

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
So going back long long ago (go look at medieval and pre-refrigeration days) , thing were hung from ceiling to keep critters (i.e. rats) from getting on them. They even hung food from ceilings.

So it has been a trend for a 1000 or more years...

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
In South Florida it was a thing in nicer, larger homes / kitchens in the 80's. It had a BRIEF revival in the early 00's new construction but it seems to have quickly died out. But hey, I still have popcorn ceilings.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,030 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
My wife and I have been looking at houses and I've noticed (~$300K to $500K range) there are no pot racks hanging from the ceiling anymore.

Was that another fad that came and went?
might have been a fad.. might have been for someone that does a lot of cooking, like professional chefs at home, and needs them/wants them in a nano second, like in his/her restaurant..

to me, it says you have no storage space. think about all the tv shows about home remodeling, flipping, building. storage, storage, storage is what they build into every kitchen now. cabinets up the whazoo.

you don't want to sell your home some day, and let potential buyers, see that you have NO storage.

·
NRA Life Member.
3,508 Posts
I don't worry about what other people think or like. I do what I like to do. If I like it, I do it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Show off.

Bet you got a 50 round drum mag for your Sig P365 too.
Stainless pans got very popular but people were too lazy to clean them right. Just throwing them in the dish washer around here leaves them coated in mineral buildup.

Most of the copper came from a local classified site. Mostly real tarnished stuff from cleaning out family estates. I just had to clean them right.

I got lucky to get a lot of good pans for next to nothing when people dumped them. It’s fun to have just the right pan for the job.

My kids have big dinner parties here where everyone brings ingredients and food all the cooking here. We have had up to seven people cooking all at once.

Most of those pans will eventually go to my kids when they are ready for them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts