CDC says breastfeeding rate is UP, but not exclusivity

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MB-G26, Aug 5, 2007.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291878,00.html

2. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Mel, you know I have pretty strong feelings on this issue. I'd like to see a LOT more education in this country about breastfeeding.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

I do too.

I see the world and tend to think in large patterns... and I see the low rate of breastfeeding in this country the same as I see the low rate of literacy. Breast feeding if free and the best choice for your child... given them thousands of life long benefits. Putting your kid on your lap once a day and reading to them is also free... and is almost a bullet proof guarantee that they will develop solid reading habits. No amount of in school exercises for instance can even begin to equate having a parent that consistently reads to you.

Anyways... my daughter was breast fed until she weaned herself around a year and a half. Then she moved on to eating entire livestock in a single sitting ;)

4. c-mama

c-mama

A lot has to do with the pediatricians. Mine encouraged me to supplement with formula.

I think they they are so afraid of leaving the feeding completely in the mother's hands, so they want moms to supplement with formula.

I think that the education needs to start with the pediatricians. They should be made to work side-by-side with La Leche League.

5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

+1 gazillion
    and
    +1 gazillion
    and
    +1 gazillion !!

Kiddo received my milk exclusively to 12-13 months. heheh It drove a lot of people crazy - but not *us*, and that's what mattered :supergrin:

We were a nursing couple for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg time, in fact, for a length of time that I suspect is virtually unheard of in this country/culture :thumbsup:

While I could not and would never condemn any mother for either chosing not to nurse or having severe enough difficulties that nursing was not an option, I will take my last breath deeply treasuring our nursing years.

m
    Formerly a card-carrying member of LLL and known to other mommies as a "Militantly Nursing Mother" :)

6. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

I've seen a couple of news segments recently where they have stopped giving formula, and replaced it with encouragement to new mothers to breast feed their babies! Apparently, they will give formula upon request but first advocate breast feeding instead!

Even though I had to go back to work after my babies were born, I chose to breast feed mine, and supplement during the day, for as long as my babies let me do that!

:hugs:

:thumbsup: