CDC removes guidance saying coronavirus spreads through air

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Mr981, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey

I have posed that very question to my masker friends. Their response - it provides at least a lil protection and then I am the a..hole because I don't care about infecting others

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday and Sherlock913 like this.
  2. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I’m over the masks, but not over the respirators. I deal with it all day every day.

Westexas likes this.

3. TxDave

TxDave Senior Member

So, it' no longer spread via aerosolized particles? Was it ever?
    Does anyone in the medical established really know what they are talking about?

Why in h*** are we still wearing masks?
    :dunno:

OttoLoader, Doc Holliday and Sharkey like this.
  4. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

Well, not entirely, if you want to rob a place.

I modelled the data from Italy in March and told everyone how overblown they had made it.

Like this one?

[​IMG]

5. thespork

thespork

People tryy to figure out tough problems will change their minds a lot...
    It goes with the territory

6. Lampshade

Lampshade

Well, ebola is studied in the same labs and a simple piece of saran wrap can stop its transmission so I'm not sure your logic really holds up.

7. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Not trying to be offensive, but I got this. I deal with it for a living. I’m telling you how it is classified to conduct research. Just making a point. If they are so effective, why are researchers not wearing cotton masks?

Westexas, Sharkey and Doc Holliday like this.
  8. UncleDave

UncleDave

Perhaps I missed something about the aerosolized particle thing, but all I ever found for actual reporting indicated that spread by aerosolized particles was only theorized based on particle concentrations under specific clinical or controlled laboratory conditions. In other words, it was suspected it might occur, but no real-world evidence of spread by aerosolized particles was ever observed or proven.

Regardless, preventing spread by aerosols was never the primary purpose of wearing a mask, so really, it should have no bearing on the face covering issue.

In other news, I was heartened by talking to my Dad the other day. We had both received our CT Absentee Ballot applications in the mail, and I was curious whether he was going to go that route. But even my 89-year-old, blue-blooded, dyed-in-the-wool Democrat-party-line-voting, Trump-hating father plans on voting in person. "We stand in line at the grocery store every week, for crying out loud," he says. Pop still has some common sense after all.

Mr981, BigBluefish and Sherlock913 like this.
  9. p.d.

p.d.

People trying to cause wreck and ruin will change their tactics a lot...
    It goes with the territory.

elkhart and OttoLoader like this.
  10. Lampshade

Lampshade

Why don't they wear cotton masks in the labs? Because there are still better options.

That being sad, just because something has to be studied in a BSL-4 lab, doesn't mean that there can't be very simple ways to stop or radically reduce transmission.

The question "how can you think a cotton mask will stop it if has to be studied in a BSL-4 lab?" is therefore not raising some kind of salient point.

n2g likes this.
  11. racerford

racerford

Within 24 hours, a complete 180? Then they are incompetent. If you are that unsure, don't release the information or recommendation to the public until you are. If I flip flopped like that in my job, I would have been fired long ago. This is not a singular "mistake", it is one in a series of many.

elkhart, Sharkey, GRR and 1 other person like this.
  12. thespork

thespork

well remember, their boss is the guy who draw on hurricane maps with sharpies...
    Could it not be that they were "corrected"?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

[​IMG]

elkhart and redneck ron like this.
  14. racerford

racerford

The haven’t followed his desires on anything else why would they now? If they were doing what he wanted them to do, they would saying the shutdowns are stupid, we made a mistake, and only very limited shutdowns should have occurred briefly in hot spots.

Sherlock913 and elkhart like this.
  15. Mr981

Mr981

Precisely. If the state health agencies can agree to allow people to visit grocery stores with masks and using social distance, voting in person should not be an issue if using the same guidelines.

n2g likes this.
  16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  17. racerford

racerford

I hear it wasn't hands, but nobody wants to talk about it for some reason. :outtahere:

czsmithGT likes this.
  18. Lampshade

Lampshade

I would suggest googling airborne vs droplet transmission.

n2g likes this.
  19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I would suggest you understand that droplets travel through the air, and I would also suggest you provide proof that COVID-19 is not transmissible through the air via “microdroplets”. Oh, that’s right you can’t. Of course I can’t prove it is, but then I don’t have to- I will leave it up to actual scientists to do that.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798

“There is significant potential for inhalation exposure to viruses in microscopic respiratory droplets (microdroplets) at short to medium distances (up to several meters, or room scale), and we are advocating for the use of preventive measures to mitigate this route of airborne transmission.”

20. Lampshade

Lampshade

I understand that completely.

Although droplets do travel through the air, that is not considered "airborne" transmission.

Airborne transmission refers to smaller aerosols which hang around in the air for much longer periods of time.

Your post, wondering how people contracted Covid from choir practice if it was not "spread by air" (airborne), suggests that this is not a distinction that you understood, hence my suggestion to google airborne vs droplet spread.

n2g likes this.