CD rom drive not autorunning,not running at all.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Another Miller, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I tried removing it then letting windows refind it,its there but for some odd reason,I put in a cd and it wont run.

Im getting a series of different error messages.I managed to get it to run once but it stopped at 80% trying to install a microsoft combat flight sim for my son(ww2 europe series).The error message was "cannot finish process,unspecified language cant be found",then another about a missing dll.I've got 9c directx on it, ran a test and everything was fine yet still no good.

lastly, I put in the disk and heard it run for 2 seconds then it just quit so I waited and nothing happened.I ejected the disk and got a blue screen that said please insert disk with seriel number blah blah blah back into the cd rom,which I then did(assuming it was the same cd as the one previously in there) and hit ok.nothing happened.I had to reboot it again to get it off the screen.

I also tried right clicking on my computer,properties,device manager,cd rom,highlighting the manufacturer and settings.unchecking the far right box,dma in the options and checking sync data transfer. the auto insert notification and disconnect is always checked.

This is win98.The only other thing I can think of doing is cleaning the cd rom which I havent a clue how,it used to work fine.Thanks for any help.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Thanks, Ive already used those utilities and there were no issues found,its very odd.I also defrag once a week.

This is why it has me baffled,everything on the computer says its ok and there are no issues yet it isnt ok.

maybe its possessed.:rofl:

On the cleaning thing, is there a special way to clean the cd rom?Ive taken it apart years ago to upgrade some things and am comfortable working on electronics so is there a certain way?

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

They can collect dust in them that might cover the laser. The laser is located in the top half facing downward towards the disk. Maybe blow it out a bit or you may or may not be able to reach in there with a long Q-tip. I wouldn't do much taking apart of the CD drive. Also try restarting the PC three times and see if it works.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Do you know what video card and driver you have?

6. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Its a mitsumi cd-rom drive fx322m!B

the video is an STB velocity 128

The drivers are all stvb profiles and dll files,theres a bunch of them.16 bit and 32 bit are all installed and working according to the checks.(yes,I know,its an OLD computer lol)

It just doesnt seem to recognize disks anymore.I ran a few tests today and came up empty,conflict manager says aok,trouble devices says aok.memory is aok.

maybe the cd rom is crapping out.I dunno,it acts like it starts then just quits and locks it up.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I was thinking maybe the video driver is interfering with the CD driver. Some of the newer ones have some strange "protection" that causes all sorts of problems In Windows 98 if there are more than one CD drive it can often get "confused". If there two drives unplug the other one. Sounds like you have only one drive though.

8. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

After more than 20 years of electronics experience I can say with about 90% accuracy, giving homage to Dr.McCoy, [color=ccc300]"It's dead Jim!"[/color] replace the CDROM or better yet the whole PC!

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I had an old CD drive that would need a smack every once in a while.

10. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Yup, I now think its dead too.A virus nearly wiped it all out a few years ago.Thanks for all your help.

Its the original config that was new back in '98.