close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CD/DVD Writer Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Aug 12, 2006.

1. pascal

pascal

Can anyone help? I updated and reloaded my W2K computer. The CD/DVD writer drive as I recall didn't work well when I installed it. It came with Pinnacle Studio 8 and Instant CD/DVD software. I'm looking for a backup to CD/DVD program (freeware if possible) and am having no luck. So far Pinnacle says the disk is write-protected and won't write to it. SimplySafe the same thing. Cobian doesn't see the drive as well as Handy Backup Trial. NTI works but costs. DVDInfo Pro can see the drive and erase it. DeepBurner will write to it but it is not a backup utility. I'm currently using Windows Backup and then burning it with DeepBurner. I have updated the firmware to the drive but it didn't help. Pinnacle which I own has not responded to Tech support emails (old version). BTW it is a Optorite DD0201 drive. Thanks for any ideas!
    pascal

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If the jumper is in the correct location, the drive may be dying.

Try it in another PC or on another IDE cable to be sure. Try it with the jumper removed entirely, too, if all else fails.

Even in Win9x, the CD drive will be autodetected. If not, something is usually broke.

3. pascal

pascal

Hello fastvfr,
    I didn't communicate correctly. I meant that several programs pop-upped an "insert a disk in drive d:" message while there was a disk in, while others indicated that the disk in the drive was write-protected and others indicated no problem an worked correctly. Why would several work correctly apparently all the time and others give various errors. I was initially thinking the software or maybe some disk compatability!???!??!!? Pinnacle software assigned the drive 2 drive letters but would say that the disk was write protected, still waiting on their technical support but not holding my breath. Can you write protect a DVD+RW?
    pascal

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sure, you can write-protect DVD-RAM, but that would not interfere with the reading of a CD/DVD in any way.

I have seen hundreds of optical drives fail, and they almost always go out like this. First, they can't write to disk...then they can no longer READ the disks at all.

A bit of dust is all it takes to wipe out the average DVD burner. Sad but true.

If you can get a different PC to test the DVD drive in, that would be good. You can install a new burner into that rig to test with, but know that most burning apps, like Nero, will need to be reinstalled in order to 'see' the new burner properly.

My money is on improper jumper settings or a bad optical drive.

Good luck!

PS. If you have already checked the jumper settings, I'd suggest you RMA that sucker pronto if that is an option...the burning apps not 'seeing' it are the red flags.

5. Thirties

Thirties

6. pascal

pascal

I follow the reasoning fastvfr but I can't get DVDInfoPro or Deepburner to fail to recognize, erase or burn CD's or DVD+RW's. I'll double check the jumper setting to make sure of that. Old system and I don't wish to spend anymore money on it. Your advice is always welcome and Thanks.
    Thank you also Thirties, more interested in just backing up my system though.
    pascal