close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CD/DVD/ media what the heck?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BilltheCat, Jan 1, 2007.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

Ok. I am in learning mode again folks. Sorry in advance!

What is the difference in these formats? I assume They must have some differences since they sell them seperately.

My Imac will use them all but for what specifically?

Optical Media
    CD-R
    CD-RW
    DVD-R
    DVD-R for Authoring
    DVD-RW
    DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD-RAM
    Blu-ray & HD DVD Optical Media

+ this and - that! another language!

:shocked:

2. Cassius

Cassius

All of those are examples of optical media, so the "Optical Media" is just a category heading I guess.

CD-R is a write-once blank CD, they cost like 10 cents these days.

CD-RW is a rewritable CD. Costs a buck or two, but the unfortunate drawback of most optical media (including CD-RWs) is that you can only write on them about 100-150 times before the disk will degrade and you can't write on it any further.

The others are varieties of burnable DVDs. DVD- are the single version (4.6 gigs or so) and DVD+ are the double (9.2 gigs or so I think, although I might have these two backwards, I forget). The R is "recordable" i.e. write-once, the RW is "rewritable".

Not sure what DVD-RAM is... RAM is Random Access Memory, the sticks of memory that attach to your motherboard, not sure what that would have to do with DVDs, but maybe there's some weird new thing

Blu-ray is a new technology by one of the companies (forget which, Sony or MS i think) that so far I think is proprietary only and hasn't been adopted as a standard per se.