GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GTers.
What do you prefer for CCW while carrying IWB? A red dot as far back on the slide as possible (dovetail mounted) or a red dot mounted in a milled slide in front of the rear sight?
In my experience, the first type of sight mounting tends to be above the waistband and is more comfortable to carry. Co-witnessing tends to be out of the question, so the front sight will fit standard IWB holders.
Also on my experience the second type of mounting allows for quicker dot acquisition, less compensating for increasing range due to distance from bore axis, but the lens of the holstered gun tends to be at belt height, applying pressure to the waistband area.

Currently I carry mostly a Sig P365XL with a Shield RMSc instead of the rear sight. Before that I dabbled with an M&P 2.0 Compact, Glock 17 MOS and CZ P10C OR, all with RMRs. All the guns have their respective pros and cons.

Opinions are welcome!

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
400 Posts
I carry a P365 with the slide milled in place of the rear sight. Have a Holosun 507k mounted. This is a great setup; carry IWB with a stealth gear holster. In the hospital, I carry it under scrubs in an aliengear belly band. Very comfortable.

I do not worry about co-witnessing. Take a good red dot class and you will find that you can make effective hits out to 10 yards easily if your sight goes down.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I much prefer the RDS in front of the RS. Accordingly, I simply adapt to that setup (adjust the holster to find the most comfortable postion) with appendix carry. It does not impede draw from the holster or presentation. I would say, go with the RDS location you prefer and them find a way to make it work for you.

Reactions: Lior

·
Registered
35,108 Posts
My g19/rmr2/milled slide, cowit sights, rides in a sightly modified Comptac Mtac @ 3:30. Its comfy & conceales under an untucked shirt.

Reactions: hardluk1

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
One more Comp-Tac MTAC fanhere . I wear mine at 3:00 . I notched the front edge of the kydex body to clear the optic . I mostly carry a stock 6 years old sig p320 but we have a M&P 4.25" CORE carrys well in it too . We also have an older MTAC that wears a m&p body that was notched 7 years ago but I don't find the need to change as I don't carry an optic equipped handgun very often . I only train with one to stay some what sharp with it .

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Size/location is the only thing stopping me from trying it. My front rear sight is ~1" over my belt line with my pistol holstered. If I put a dot on my 19 or 48 the lens will be below my belt line. Until I lose enough weight for aiwb or find a new holster that magically carries my pistols @3 but higher and without printing, a dot is out for me for ccw. I'd like to see something like the noblex MOS sight but with the lens biased to the rear as that would clear my belt line.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I carry P365XL.

Optics like Holosun 507K have a rear sight notch that co-witnesses. Better than nothin. Don't have mine yet.

My AlienGear Cloak Tuck 3.5 IWB holster comes with a little molded cup in the kydex for the Romeo Zero optics. Not sure if a Holosun 507K will fit in that expanded cup but I will find out when the Holosun is available. This holster rides high enough for the optics to clear the belt by a good bit. Even in the "middle" position of the height-adjustable clips.

Just got a Foxx hybrid IWB(for P365XL);not sure if I can whittle down the kydex for optics or not. Just wearing it around the house right now. Don't think optics will work IWB with this holster but it is quick drawing and comfy enough with irons.

I can't come up with any cons regarding the P365XL;so far. Getting a full master-grip(combat grip) from the holster is one of the things I really like about this gun.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes, I carry in the hospital under my scrubs. Against policy, but the head of security has trained with me and I have his “blessing.” There are a few of us who are part of an unofficial rapid response team.

·
Registered
35,108 Posts
Size/location is the only thing stopping me from trying it. My front sight is ~1" over my belt line with my pistol holstered. If I put a dot on my 19 or 48 the lens will be below my belt line. Until I lose enough weight for aiwb or find a new holster that magically carries my pistols @3 but higher and without printing, a dot is out for me for ccw. I'd like to see something like the noblex MOS sight but with the lens biased to the rear as that would clear my belt line.
Having trouble visualizing your setup?

Reactions: drumgod

·
Millenium #3936
6,298 Posts
Well if you welcome opinions I will offer that

On a fighting gun which is carried for relatively close range engagement, I see no practical purpose of adding a red dot. In a fast moving violent confrontation, I doubt there is going to be much occasion for a tradition site picture. I might feel a little differently if I were carrying a rifle but on a handgun, I wouldnt bother.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Yes, I carry in the hospital under my scrubs. Against policy, but the head of security has trained with me and I have his “blessing.” There are a few of us who are part of an unofficial rapid response team.
I commend your gutsiness. I don't know if I'd want to get fired and have that kind of thing follow me to every future hospital staff job. I'll have to think about it more.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Having trouble visualizing your setup?
lol! Good point. That should be "rear" sight not "front". I will correct the post shortly... Just in case anyone was confused:
Code:
    ________
    \       \
     \       \
      \       \
owb    \       //  <-- Standard *rear* sight location
------3----------- <-- Belt Line
iwb   /      //
      \     / \    <-- Reflex sight lens
      /    /           trapped by belt
     /    /
     \___/

·
Registered
35,108 Posts
Well if you welcome opinions I will offer that

On a fighting gun which is carried for relatively close range engagement, I see no practical purpose of adding a red dot. In a fast moving violent confrontation, I doubt there is going to be much occasion for a tradition site picture. I might feel a little differently if I were carrying a rifle but on a handgun, I wouldnt bother.
True, I was concerned it would slow my response at contact. What I found is Inside 7y, I am shooting off the slide as index, no dot, no front sight. Beyond 7y, its faster for accurate hits, static or moving, especially with older eyes & useful in poor light.

Reactions: oldmick and pgg00

·
Registered
400 Posts
I commend your gutsiness. I don't know if I'd want to get fired and have that kind of thing follow me to every future hospital staff job. I'll have to think about it more.
Not gutsy at all. I am very, very careful. I never signed a contact agreeing to be bound by the policy manual; I never signed the policy manual. Staff hired today have to do both. Staff hired in the late 80s do neither. My conscience is clear and I have the blessing of the head of security. NYS has not seen fit to give our hospital security officers “peace officer” status. We are, therefore, on our own...

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Not gutsy at all. I am very, very careful. I never signed a contact agreeing to be bound by the policy manual; I never signed the policy manual. Staff hired today have to do both. Staff hired in the late 80s do neither. My conscience is clear and I have the blessing of the head of security. NYS has not seen fit to give our hospital security officers “peace officer” status. We are, therefore, on our own...
Right, we have to abide by the legalities of our individual circumstances. And they can certainly differ a lot, as you point out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts