CCW while in a hotel

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by November Sunrise, Oct 21, 2010.

1. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I recently spent a few days away from home alone on the road visiting customers. I have spent many nights mentally running through "what ifs" regarding defending myself and family at home. I just can not come up with "the safest" plan of attack regarding defending myself in a hotel with a handgun. I can not put a safe direction to fire when considering the thought of a pass through shot on an assailant. Shooting in the direction of the window seems somewhat logical but impractical as an intruder would enter the room farthest from the window. I do carry ammo designed to limit penetration but it still plagues me.
    Any thoughts?

2. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Maybe a handgun could be the second choice. If you feel uncomfortable with your target zone then have a back up plan with maybe pepper spray or another less lethal option. Maybe even a taser. Just remember, if you are in a life threatening situation you may have to pick the lesser of two evils to survive.

Think about dropping to the floor so your shot path is more up toward the ceiling since many hotels have concrete floors/ceilings. Just a thought.

Good for you for thinking ahead instead of waiting till the info is needed.

3. SCC

SCC just me

thats what i was going to say ( be on the floor )

4. Six Feet Under

Six Feet Under

What if there is a second floor above you though, how do you know the ceiling in your room will keep the round from going above it?

I'd say making sure you don't miss would be the best option here... :)

5. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Your best option is to just secure the door at all times. If they can't get in the room in a hurry few BGs are going to stand around trying to work out an entry plan. Couple that with a nice loud "Go away, I have a gun" should take care of pretty much anything the average person will encounter. If it happens to be a drug crew trying to take down some opposition then you might be in some trouble, but if you aren't into that you shouldn't have much to worry about inside your room.

6. Riz58

Riz58

Most hotel/motels have concrete and steel floors, so the probability of penetration through the ceiling to another room would be small to non-existence.

Think also of the situation. Most hotels have death funnels in the form of the door and a narrow hallway-type area that then opens into the area with the bed, TV, etc. Shooting from a knee into this narrow area and very short distance, you should have a very high degree of hits and any misses would be angled so as to hit the ceiling at least by the time it made it across the hall.

7. G21ACPBeliever

G21ACPBeliever

Check out, I think boxoftruth.com, I was always under the assumption that buckshot wouldn't go clear through a wall that was say average quality drywall with insulation. Boy was I wrong! Shotgun for home defense? Think I'll stick with my .45. My friend has just gotten his first home defense firearm, a remington or something from his dad. We built our own box 'o truth & the ammo we used went through 5 thicknesses of drywall and into a water jug. Granted due to home dimensions and such this is only a controlled test, but with small children in the house... I'd select ALL ammo wisely!

8. Jon_R

Jon_R

If I reach a point I have to fire to protect myself then I fire. I would try and avoid it by keeping the door locked with all the locks available and such.

Could something bad happen sure but if I don't do something then something bad is certain to happen. IF I miss and IF it goes through the wall and IF the room next door is occupied the person in there is probably consuming 1% or less of the volume of the room so 99% of the room volume is not a person. I take my chances.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  9. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Stepping down to the gin palace

This. Life is risky.

10. The Hawk

The Hawk

I would try and find out what type of ammo your local PD carries and use that. I realize nothing is perfect, but if the SHTF and you find youself in court later, I would think a good defense as to your ammo selection would be "this is what our PD carries".

11. ComeAndGetThem

ComeAndGetThem

I don't really disagree but understand that someone in the room next to yours might be thinking the same thing about your room and the small chances of hitting you.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  12. -gunut-

-gunut-

Shoot and try not to miss. What is your other option? Die? **** that!

Most hotels have pretty solid doors with about 3 locks on them. It would be difficult to gain entry if the door is secure.

13. Igiveup

Igiveup

Have one of those shotgun pistols with bird shot loads for those times when there are liability's everywhere you point.

14. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

A Claymore, either sword or anti-personnel mine and a Glock 20 should cover all the bases.... :)

15. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

I think you misread the Box article. While buckshot can over penetrate, it penetrated less than .45 in their test.

OP, consider this. I use this when I stay in Hotels, and it's been pretty amazing. A friend and I tested this thing out on a demo house and it is a brutal little thing to get past. I takes more than a few minutes one hell of a lot of noise to bash through it.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/swege.html

16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have a hotel ccw story that is a little funny. It shows how in the heat of the moment, you dont think- you react.

Once upon a time, I was staying a few nights in a nice hotel in a not so nice area of town. I always ccw where my State has permit recoprocity no matter where I am staying. On this night, I had my overnight bag beside the bed in a chair. It was slightly unzipped and my ccw was holstered where I could easily get to it if need be. Well, around 2am I awake to a slamming banging to my room door. I hear a guy cussing- saying "you better let me in @#$!!!%%^&*!!" all the while he is putting his shoulder into the door and turning the door knob. I remember reaching into the bag and then I was knelt by the bed with gun in hand and facing the door. I thought about getting on the house phone but it was on the other side of the room and not where i wanted to be standing if the guy busted down the door-so i waited. I hear some shouts from down the hall of other guys calling the one who was beating on my door. Then there was laughter as a group of people came down the hall and got the drunk guy off my door and took him to the correct room.

This is the funny part: As I sat there with my heart beating out of my chest, I started looking for my holster but couldnt find it. I looked all around the bed, in the bag, under the bed, in the bed, all around where I was knelt but no holster. I made a larger circle and looked around but no hoslter. I even looked in the garbage can but no holster. I just kinda sat there wondering where on Earth my holster could have ran off to. Finally I pushed the curtains and there it was behind the a curtain on the far side of the room. I must have poped the thumb break and just flung the hoster like a mad man. In the heat of the moment I do not remember poping the thumb break removing the pistol or anything, I just remember I went for it and then it was ready in my hand.

In the end, I just kinda laughed at myself but was glad that all the times I ran the situation through in my mind- that I actually did what I needed to do when faced with a stressful and possibly dangerous situation.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. kensteele

kensteele

Personally I can't believe we are even talking about this.

The guy next to you with his wife and three children in the room? He doesn't give a crap about you next door, he spends his time and energy on how to stop the threat. He knows it is nearly impossible that the event will occur and even more impossible that you get shot and killed next door (instead of the perp) when it finally does happens. When two ugly criminals are crashing down the door with the intent of cutting the throats of the occupants it is NOT the time to be deciding your field of fire and where your bullets are going...besides into the threat. You have to open fire and keep shooting until the threat is stopped. You're not going to have the control you think you have anyway, bullets always end up flying freakily; so they are basically not going to go where you work so hard to plan them to go, so don't waste any time. Lucky for everybody, it is almost unheard of to read about an occupant next door being killed by friendly fire during a break-in somewhere else in the hotel.

He's not worried about you, why should you worry about him?

I understand the consequences of shooting an innocent person but if you can say with a straight face that you believe that a person with a weapon in a hotel is a potential danger to all the other residents of the hotel, then you are simply feeding into the liberal fears that basically say guns should be banned from the hotel because innocent people might get hurt....so lock your hotel door and leave the gun in the car.

Again, I don't wish to see anyone hurt but I'm not going to hold my fire or swap out my ammo or put away my gun just to confront a pretty much non-existant situation. So I take this into consideration by leaving my dealing at home, not leaving my hotel door "cracked" open, not playing loud music and going in and out of the hotel drawing attention to myself, not carrying expensive items to and from the parking lot from my expensive car parked right up front....that's how I "protect" the neighbors. Most criminals won't even know my suite is occupied. ;)

18. kensteele

kensteele

When I am in my hotel room alone at night, my loaded handgun is underneath the pillow next to me. I've had those loud bangs at night as well, they really get your heart racing.

19. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

A while back my dad was in a hotel, and about 5am, some police knock on the door, ask him if they can make sure he is alone in the room. some guys had tied up the woman at the front desk, taken the staff key, and then raided the suite of an "asian businessman" (drug dealer) who had just checked in. The police wanted to make sure all the invaders were gone from the hotel.

20. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

During a hotel stay one night someone hit my door so hard it showed light all the way around the frame. Then dead silence. The door held but the impact sounded like a battering ram. That one scene from the movie "No country for old men" (where Anton Chigurh got the drop on the Mexican drug gang in the hotel room) was an eye opener. I know. That was a movie. But that's exactly how fast a room/home invasion happens. If they get that door open on you, its gonna stink on ice. A proper door brace is a must if you travel a lot and use hotels/motels. I use both locks and throw the chain for good measure.

Gray_Rider
    Deo Vindice!