CCW while backcountry camping

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HFD190, Dec 16, 2005.

1. HFD190

HFD190 Tenifer

OK, first what’s the best handgun to take with you on a 2-3 day backpack? I have been stowing a G23 in my pack for years. I just bought a Sig Mosquito and am thinking of taking it on my next trip. It’s a little smaller and lighter but I’m not sure about the .22 round vs. the .40

In my mind, I am not carrying so much for protection from animals, etc. Instead I am always a little weary of running into a group of wackos when I am 15 miles from the nearest road.

Also, does anyone carry on the waistband or do most just pack it in the top compartment in the backpack?

2. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

IMHO stay with the .40sw, a .22 is only adequate if you can make perfect head shots under duress (on most decent sized 2 and 4 legged animals). I'd rather have a sharpened machete or large fixed blade knife than a small .22 pistol. That's just me, some might feel differently.

3. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Oh yeah, I usually carry a G20, G23, or 1911 IWB (Comp-tac CTAC), all the time including hunting/camping/hiking.

4. Phlybox

Phlybox

Ditto on the vote for 10mm! Then again, I'm in bear country and too much of a wimp to carry a .41 mag or .44 mag. If you have no bears to worry about, a good 9mm or .40 ought to handle just about anyone or anything you might run into but would rather avoid. If bears weren't in the picture for me, I might carry a G19, as it offers a good mixture of firepower and portability.

I have a holster that fits nicely on a strip of webbing on the waistbelt of my pack. That's where my G20 rides--right there where a holster should be for easiest access. The two spare mags ride on the other hip and are attached to the pack in the same way. I don't know about other towns, but Boise has at least two companies who will do custom sewing--such as affixing a holster of your choice to a bag of your choice in the position of your choice. If your pack isn't set up to accept your holster in the way you want, send them to Buck's Bags.

Also, I am a huge fan of tactical lights for hiking/backpacking applications. If you wake up to something stirring outside your tent, the last thing you want to worry about, once you decide to confront the source of the sound, is about twisting that stupid Maglight so that it casts a beam instead of a flood, and then holding it in your weak hand while trying to aim both the flashlight and a gun. Buy a Streamlight or a Surefire or some other reliable, durable light that mounts directly onto your gun. As a contacts/glasses wearer, I have enough midnight disadvantages when called from my tent in a groggy, frozen stupor at 3:30AM by something I have not yet identified other than to say that it is large. Buy a tac light, period!

I have put considerable thought and research into this topic. That doesn't mean I have all or even correct answers for your situation, but maybe I can help you ask some of the right questions anyway. Don't be shy about asking.

5. HFD190

HFD190 Tenifer

Thanks, I like the idea of affixing a holster to the pack strap. I certainly am not in bear country –well, lots of black bears but no grizzly’s.

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I think you answered your own questions.

Respectfully, "a pack of wackos" would require more firepower than a .22 if they were set on harming you.

Concealment in a location for lightning fast access is "always" your best option.

IMHO it is hard to beat the G23 for a good compromise of caliber and capacity. Even though I wouldn't want to bet that dumping 13 rounds into one would fix a momma sow if you got between her and cubs.

When I am camping, I usually have a rifle or shotgun but it isn't always within arms reach.