CCW Thoughts.....

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by profiler999, Feb 5, 2010.

1. profiler999

profiler999

It appears from my research and reading here, plus watching you tube videos of actual crimes and CCW, the following can be surmised:

Most acts of crime are very quick, thus giving you very little time to react. Therefore it makes sense to have a round in the chamber plus very easy access to the gun. I don't have a problem with the round in the chamber theory, however, I am required by work to tuck in my dress shirt and slacks. How do y'all deal with that?

Also, from watching the videos, usually only 2-3 shots are fired either way. A shoot out with 10+ shots seem rare unless you are a LEO in the line of duty. What I'm saying is person to person, rarely would you have a shootout. Therefore, it makes sense to have the most stopping power in those 3 shots, vs. 10+ rounds of something less potent. So my impression is a .45acp with a single stack should be sufficient in most CCW situations. Am I on the right track?

Obviously these are just an opinion, and your response will be welcome.

2. BobKat

BobKat

3. trifecta

trifecta

Looks like you understand the reality.

Your reaction needs to start before the confrontation. Not sure which videos you have viewed, but many times you can see the situation coming ahead of time.

4. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

I think you have a good understanding. That is why I will often carry a 5 shot revolver in .357 mag. The .357 mag round is a devastating round. I find the revolver much easier to conceal than my .45 auto which I often carry also.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

The vast majority of situations can be resolved without a firearm at all. Odds are you'll never pull it in your whole life. That would argue for no gun at all, it would just be easier all around.

If you're going to carry then the fact that most situations where you DO draw are 2-5 rounds max and <10' might lead you to believe you could get away with a 5 round revolver as a carry piece. That line of thinking has done people well for about 100 years or so, so far.

If you think further that there is a millionth of a chance you will be in the one encounter this year that having over 7 rounds would be beneficial with then you might want to consider a higher capacity firearm and/or another magazine.

What you carry and how is entirely up to you after you've taken the data you've posted plus about a bazillion other things that you'll dig up on your searching.

6. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I wear a dress shirt and slacks to work every day. Go to post #43 on this page to see some photos. In this case, I'm wearing a polo shirt tucked in. But, I do the same thing with button-down dress shirts.

Gun: Glock 27
    Holster: Crossbreed Supertuck
    Belt: Crossbreed

I've been carrying a spare G27 mag in my front left pocket in a Desantis Magpacker. It took a few weeks to break in the Supertuck and figure out the magic spot for me to carry it. It's essentially unnoticeable to me now except when I'm sitting in my car. But, even then it's comfortable. I just know it's there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Are you on the right track to what?

As long as the rounds penetrate to the vitals, you might want to have many shots that you can quickly and accurately put on target.

As many shots as you can carry, in your tradeoff between concerns of concealability, weight, size, and the ultimate desire to have a gatling gun in your pocket.

8. Jhawk412

Jhawk412

The trouble I have with a .45 single-stack is most often you're talking about a 1911. However, the presence of the manual thumb safety to me seems counter productive to draw and shoot when your life is on the line. I've tried carrying 1911's from time to time since they look so cool and shoot so well, but I do not want to have to worry about taking a safety off in the heat of the moment. So I'm back to carrying a S&W 686 .357 magnum revolver 2.5 inch. I feel very comfortable with that for pull and play.

9. CZ guy

CZ guy

That's where training comes in. If you shoot IPSC for instance, the draw and thumb taking off the safety becomes one motion and it gets to the point it's just automatic and doesn't require any thought at all...

10. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I think you have it well thought out but there are always variables. I for one would be uncomfortable with just 5 rounds eventhough I know I'll probably never need more than 3. My G30 goes everywhere with me and in many cases I have my G27 tucked away too.

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

That is a very big YMMV. :whistling:

If you have to draw and fire it will probably be as you described as "typical" but then again it might not. Nobody knows for sure so make your decisions and take your chances. I am sure nobody who got in a gun fight wishes they had less ammo or a smaller caliber / gun at the time.

I tried some different things to include a .380 in a pocket holster but settled on a G23, IWB, M-Tac, 12 +1, no spare magazine, and benchmade folder. Seemed a good compromise for me given my surroundings and my threat assessment. I am willing to carry this setup any time I am legally allowed to. If it ends up not being enough I guess I will suffer the consequences of my decisions.

I live in a hurricane area. If it got bad enough with mobs and looting I would be open carrying my Mossberg 590 with my G35 on my hip and bring a friend....

12. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Wow only 31 posts and you've already got comfortable around here...pass the salt.

:popcorn: