close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ccw residency reqs

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by glockess56, Mar 5, 2010.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

My niece went to get her CCW yesterday. She had the paperwork, certificates and the money order with her application. She has been an Ohio resident for 31 years. When her husband was active military, she and her children relocated to the different posts. During this time, she maintained her Ohio residency and voted in Ohio elections. She has been back in Ohio for a little over four years, living in Hilliard. However, she had this problem. She had to go over to the ATM and get more money for the permit application, because the deputy (Franklin County) told her that she had been in Ohio a little over four years and not the five needed and she had to pay the extra like people who have moved from other states and have not been residents for five years. He said that it is in the law. Active military deployed are exempt from this, but not the spouses. He said that it is written in the law. I looked online the AG website and looked up the laws for the CCW permit, and indeed found a section for military, but I couldn't find out about anything else concerning this situation. I have never heard a case where someone is an Ohio resident and votes here, but is not considered an Ohio resident. Has anyone else experienced this situation.

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

interesting.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010

3. Linda

Linda

Unfortunately, there is nothing written in the law for active duty spouses. I suspect she put her address of where she was living out of state 4 yrs ago? The sheriff's dept would have no way of knowing that someone has voted in Ohio for 31 yrs. So they were going off of the information that she provided to them. They do a more extensive background check on those who weren't "residents" for the past 5 yrs. Now before you flame me, I understand that YES she was a resident. They went off of the information she provided them. So yes, she would have paid $91 instead of the $67 for her CHL. In retrospect, I imagine she should have used the Ohio address that she has used for as her residency. Since that technically IS her address of residency.

4. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I'm not flaming anyone. Someone told me that is situation can be at the descretion of the deputy. It's just a situation I've never heard of before. By the way, they called her and she picked up her license Thursday. She's excited about this "rite of passage." It was like getting your first driver's license at 16 or 17! All is well now!