close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CCW or Open and

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Crawdaddy, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

you are in the corner store grabbing a coke or chips. All of a sudden a guy comes in and robs the cashier at gun point. Do you just hold tight or draw down? No threat was made directly to you. No shots were fired either.

Now what if the same thing happens and you are in line with this guy 3 feet from you? Do you wait for the threat to be made to you first?

Would hate to be in this situation thinking after words "What If"

2. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

You could be saying "What if I had just stayed out of it" too. It's a decision that is going to have you asking a lot of other questions too. Only you at that moment will be able to decide whether to engage or be a good witness.

The least likely outcome will most likely be what you get. Taking the perfect shot and dropping the bad guy is usually a movie scene. If you don't drop him in his tracks chances are he is going to start shooting wildly without care of who gets in the way. Can you handle people being killed by the bad guy because you shot first?

Just a few thoughts.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

What do you mean by draw down?

4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Crawdaddy
    Easy if I can get the drop on the perp I do it and shoot him/her! Perfectly legal in ID to stop a forceable felony in progress with deadly force! And I wouldn't shed one tear for them either!:upeyes:

5. macville

macville

You've got to understand that no two situations are the same and you really can't decide until you get into a situation. Some things to consider. First, is it legal in the state you are in to shoot someone who is threatening a third-party? Do you have a clean shot (not going to hit the threatened person, other people that might be outside/behind a wall, etc) If you have a clean shot, will you physically be able make an accurate shot repeatedly? And lastly, can you mentally pull the trigger?

Matthew

6. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Infinite number of scenarios could play out, but...

unless there is a direct threat on your life, you probably should not think of drawing a weapon and firing on someone.

If the "bad guy" starts shooting, and you have a direct line of fire....

It is sad that we have to consider "liability" issues when thinking of attempting to stop a criminal act, but unless you are a LEO, save the heroics for immediate threats on your life.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. kda

kda NRA Life Member

I've already decided to not play cop. I've got a kid that does that for a living. If it is just a robbery with the BG firing no shots, then it is only money that is involved and the police can work on catching him after I give them a good description.

That doesn't mean that I won't be ready should he start shooting. For me, being ready includes having my pistol in my hand but discretely out of sight, behind me if necessary.

I'm sure others feel they should take a more assertive role and I respect that. I carry to protect life, my own and if necessary (and possible) the life of another. But if someone comes into MacDonald's and starts rifling the cash register, I am just an observer unless the situation escalates.

8. Legion Etrangere

Legion Etrangere

Excellent reply. I thank your son/daughter for his/her service. You sound like a proud father.

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

I only take action if the event turns violent or I am fairly sure it is getting ready to turn violent and it is in my immediate area. It would be a judgment call and regardless of my decision would be second guessed by me and others. I could not stand by and let someone defenseless be killed while I had the means to help. If the bad guy shoots or kills the clerk I am sure he will continue to me anyways.

Having said that if I am not in the immediate area I do not rush toward the problem so it is in my immediate area. My responsibilities to my family trumps a stranger always and that to would be hard to live with listening to someone being killed while I cling to cover and hope to go unnoticed.

The best you can hope for is the bad guy takes the $50 and runs which is probably the case in 90% of the case. Those willey bad guys are just unpredictable and they probably don't even know what they are going to do.

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No. If a person's life is threatened at gunpoint a lot more than money is involved.

And you won't know if it is a "no shots fired" incident until you are using the 20/20 vision of hindsight. That is the problem.

I have no idea what I would do. SO, SO many variables. I probably would not actively do anything.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

:wavey:

??????

12. PSUEng

PSUEng

I don't know what I would do but all I know is this:

If some perp pulls a gun and points it at someone, I have to assume they are willing to pull the trigger. Furthermore, if they pull and point at someone else I have to deduce that they will pull and subsequently shoot me, given the chance. That said: If they draw, I would shoot to kill. If they shoot the clerk, I DEFINITELY will shoot to kill.

13. DYLANB80

DYLANB80

That is almost exactly what I was going to say. Good Post
    :cool:

14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

excellent replies. Replies I'd expect from this site. Most likely what I would do. Evaluate the situation and be ready if the threat turns my way.

I started this thread because I hear guys all the time say when I get my CCW someone better not rob the clerk when I am in there. I thought there is no way there are that many trigger happy people out there trying to be an action hero.

15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Crawdaddy
    It's not about being trigger happy, it's about stopping a violent criminal! Cause if you don't stop them, then who else has to die cause you didn't want to pull the trigger! They have already threaten everyone in the store with death force by pointing the weapon at you and everyone else! I hear it all the time "Don't do nothing an be a good witness"- thats great if you live!

16. BobbyT

BobbyT

You're asking about a very open-ended scenario.
    How bout this:

Tell me how you'd handle a fire that broke out in your house (nevermind where it is, where you are, how big it is, whether it's night and your kids are asleep or if it's afternoon, etc).

Or tell me how you'd respond to a car accident (nevermind what kind of car hits you, where it hits, your speed, his speed, fender bender vs rollover, etc).

17. napp32

napp32

I feel fairly safe in saying that most of us have no idea what we would really do in such a situation. It's easy to sit here and visualize our reaction; but there are just too many variables to predict what will happen when the stuff hits the fan. How many other people are in the store? Where are they in relation to your line of fire? Will innocents be hit if you miss; or if your rounds go through the BG? Is the BG alone; or could one of the other customers be an accomplice lying low until something goes wrong in the robbery? You are going to need to evaluate all these considerations very quickly.

You also should know ahead of time where you stand legally in such a scenario. Does your state allow the use of deadly force in defense of a third party's life; or is it only a reasonable fear for your own life? What do your statutes say about civil liability? In a legal defense of life shooting, my state doesn't allow the BG or anyone assisting him in the crime to bring a civil suit. However, the statute doesn't address the right to sue of the innocent bystander you might hit...nor, does it specifically address the rights of little Tommy's mother who might say, "Little Tommy was always such a good boy. What am I going to do without him to take care of me when I get old?".

Of course, the most important thing to access is your own ability and mental capacity to take decisive action. Remember, the BG already has a gun in his hand. He's probably gonna be really pissed if you draw on him and can't pull the trigger....or, pull the trigger and miss.

18. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

While, I have no idea how I would react in the OP's scenario, I do know that I would be justified in using deadly force against the armed robber in Tennessee.

19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

my post wan not about him pointing the firearm at me. That is a different story. That is when it becomes my business. That is when it comes down to me defending myself.

My question was if he came in and you were an isle over waching this armed robbery. I did say No threat was made directly to you. No shots were fired either.

20. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I think the police would rather have you be a good witness than a hero. If I'm not in danger or the clerk, let him go. Just be a good witness for the police. If on the other hand he starts shooting or knocking the clerk around, then all bets are off. He's mine.