Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hilljack
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice as to how to pursue this situation. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. This is about a workplace situation.

Where I work is a union shop. I am a rep there, and will be representing the person I am talking about. The other day our union president told me a very disturbing story. We have a coworker who doesn't bother anyone. Management does seem to like to pick on him. I don't know why. Anyway, because of the way he is done by managment, he has filed several complaints against his superiors internally within the company. His area manager told our union president the other day that they knew that the said employee had a ccw permit. And because of that they were going to require him to take a psychological examination to keep his job. I was totally shocked when the president told me this. An evaluation just because of a ccw permit. What are his legal rights about this, and how should it be pursued?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Shocking.

Wish I could help, but while I'd have a whole lot of opinions on this, none would be helpful to you and your friend. Good luck. Please update this post as the story unfolds.

·
NRA Member
554 Posts
First of all your union should have a labor relations attorney available for questions like this. My experience has been that a company can do most anything as long as they are paying for it and it is not discriminatory. The employee may have grounds for civil action or grievance since he the only one being told to take the test and having a CCW is a legal activity. IF the company has reason to believe the employee is unstable or a threat then they are well within legal grounds to order a test.

·
Registered
374 Posts
On this situation I would definately get the union to bring in a lawyer and fast. Break out the latest contract and find out if psychological examination is covered in any way shape or form in there. Does it say anything about medical testing to keep one's job? Does it have a loop hole that reads something like "testing as management deems needed" in relation to keeping one's job? Heck does it mention anything about not employing people with a CCW? Not sure what can of worms is about to be opened....good luck

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmmmm.....I don't recall the state asking me to have a psych exam to wield my 1.5 ton car on public roads when they issued me a license.

I did however go through a extensive back ground check to get my CHL. :upeyes:

My guess is that one of the management types didn't meet the requirements to get his/her CHL and has sour grapes. :whistling:

I'm curious, how did they become aware of his status with a CHL?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Hello, I know I'm late on this post.

The said employee should definately seek legal councel.

If he has to take this test to keep his job, then he would be best to have one, by a non biased Doctor, one that has no ties to the Company or himself.

If he passes it with flying color's, guess who will Retire early.

Good Luck and Take Care.

·
Directiv 10-289
6,855 Posts
I wonder how they found out the employee has a CCW Permit?

They may have used unauthorized means, which could get a person in big trouble. hint

·
Registered
15,409 Posts
OP, please keep us posted how this goes if you can, OK?

I was thinking the other day at work that this could be simply a case of a very insecure HR manager or other manager who has problems themselves. People do strange things out of fear.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Harassment in it's most insidious form, get legal help ASAP!!

Cork soaking, motor forging, bastages! :fist; :rant: :burn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts