Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own both a G17 and G27. The G17 is loaded with 17+1 rounds of 9mm 124 gr +P Golden Saber JHP. The G27 is loaded with 9+1 rounds of .40 165gr Golden Saber JHP.

Most of the time I carry the G27 due to its smaller size.

However, if I am wearing clothes that will conceal either the G17 or G27 equally well, would it be better to carry the G17 with its 8 additonal rounds in a smaller caliber? Or just stick with the G27?

Assume I don't want to carry an extra mag and don't want to put a mag extension on the G27.

Thanks for your opinion!

·
Some Dude
567 Posts
G17, no contest.

IMHO, most can land 3 or 4 good shots with a 9mm in the same time as it takes to hit 2x with the .40 and it's "ugly" recoil (especially in a little G27).

Plus, if you can conceal it, being able to miss more than a few times coupled with the advantage of a longer/better sight radius, not to mention the stability of the full size frame... should be enough to pick the G17.

·
Registered
14,199 Posts
Also, the current 9mm defensive loads are pretty hot, far superior to the 9mm rounds whose somewhat anemic perfromance led to the development of the .40....

Some of the Cor-Bon and Speer Gold -Dots post results that are not that far off from that of the .40, and you get a smoother shooting round with greater capacity to boot.

I'd go with the 17 if I were you.....

·
Stiffy
7,711 Posts
G17, no contest.

IMHO, most can land 3 or 4 good shots with a 9mm in the same time as it takes to hit 2x with the .40 and it's "ugly" recoil (especially in a little G27).

Plus, if you can conceal it, being able to miss more than a few times coupled with the advantage of a longer/better sight radius, not to mention the stability of the full size frame... should be enough to pick the G17.
"Ugly recoil" , "stability of the full size frame" ...........:rofl:If you can't handle a 27 just say so.IMHO, the 27 is the finest ccw ever developed. Save that 17 for plinking at tin cans and carry a 27.:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
If they will both conceal equally well, why then assume that you would not use an extension on the G27 or even a G23 mag w/ sleeve? If you are going to allow the G17 to have a large platform for conceal, why limit the G27? Get a G23 mag and the sleeve adaptor from Lonewolf....13+1 on the .40...no brainer...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I would go with the G27 and carry an extra mag.

·
Polymer Butcher
8,097 Posts
"Ugly recoil" , "stability of the full size frame" ...........:rofl:If you can't handle a 27 just say so.IMHO, the 27 is the finest ccw ever developed. Save that 17 for plinking at tin cans and carry a 27.:cool:
+1, I agree 100%, all I would add is carry a G23 mag with an A&G grip sleeve and you're good to go.

:wavey:

·
NRA Life Member
1,758 Posts
G17 = more rounds + faster follow-up shots.

·
Polymer Butcher
8,097 Posts
Many responses in this thread list "more rounds" as a main reason to go with the G17. If you can't stop the threat with 10 shots of .40S&W, then either:

1) You're some where you should not be
2) You need more range time

One person even wrote in their response, you get to have more misses with the G17! :wow:

Hello!!! You should be training so you don't miss. I'm not perfect and can miss a target just like anyone else, but do you really need that many shots in case you miss, be serious.

Most CCW incidents happen around 7 yards, and are over within 3-4 shots being fired. Even if you have an issue with a small group of people, after the first one gets shot, the rest will usually take off. Thugs are just that thugs, they are not looking for a gunfight, they want the easiest target they "think" they can find to not have a hassle.

Not to mention to begin with that the comparison here is between a Full-Size and compact gun both of which are different calibers.

People watch too much TV, and think well what about the military. The military does not use handguns as their go to weapon on soldiers, your handgun is there to get you back to your rifle.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
It really comes down to which pistol YOU handle and shoot better. The rest of the variables (number of rounds, caliber, mag extensions, etc.) don't really mean much in comparison. Practice a lot with both, and carry the one you feel the best about, or pick one now, and shoot that one a bunch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are questions about the effectiveness of the 9mm that led me to choose the G27. I have 2 9mm that I use for target practice but won't carry since I have the 27.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lots of great info on this topic. peoples opinions on WHY to carry what gun. Gun is a Gun. You can miss your target with any gun. Your all hyped up. Excited. Adrenaline is pumping. I agree with the other post. Carry and protect yourself with what you feel safe with and what you can handle. Who cares how many rounds. Your not fighting a war ! lol . Just my 2 cents as well ! I know my shooting now I need more practise so I only need 2-3 shots. Not the whole mag lol

·
NRA Member
1,537 Posts
There are questions about the effectiveness of the 9mm that led me to choose the G27. I have 2 9mm that I use for target practice but won't carry since I have the 27.
Have you heard of Winchester Ranger 127+P+, Winchester Ranger bonded 124+P, Speer gold dot 124+P, Federal HST 124+P or Corbon 115gr+P DPX????????? The nine is just fine for concealed carry

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Lots of great info on this topic. peoples opinions on WHY to carry what gun. Gun is a Gun. You can miss your target with any gun. Your all hyped up. Excited. Adrenaline is pumping. I agree with the other post. Carry and protect yourself with what you feel safe with and what you can handle. Who cares how many rounds. Your not fighting a war ! lol . Just my 2 cents as well ! I know my shooting now I need more practise so I only need 2-3 shots. Not the whole mag lol

I have heard that most gun fights are over after a few shots being fired, and I am sure this is true, especially in civilian situations. If what I shot best was a G36, I would carry that, despite the mag "only" holding six, rather than say a G17 with the triple the capacity, if I did not shoot it well. Spend more time at the range, and less time worrying over caliber and mag capacity.

·
Premium Member
42,134 Posts
I have heard that most gun fights are over after a few shots being fired, and I am sure this is true, especially in civilian situations. If what I shot best was a G36, I would carry that, despite the mag "only" holding six, rather than say a G17 with the triple the capacity, if I did not shoot it well. Spend more time at the range, and less time worrying over caliber and mag capacity.

I think djegators has it nailed!
Carry what you shoot well! G17 or G27,......

·
Polymer Butcher
8,097 Posts
Have you heard of Winchester Ranger 127+P+, Winchester Ranger bonded 124+P, Speer gold dot 124+P, Federal HST 124+P or Corbon 115gr+P DPX????????? The nine is just fine for concealed carry
I am not knocking the 9mm nor saying that the .40 is better, but having owned both I can tell you that the +p 9mm rounds feels just like a non- +p .40S&W round, which is one of the reasons I came back to the .40 round. I was at the range with a friend and shot my corbon 9mm ammo from my G19, and then I shot some 180gr .40 SW right after and they both felt the same. So I decided at the end of the day why not have a bigger hole you're making, and also the .40's in the Glock platform allow you to shoot 9mm as well with a conversion barrel.

:wavey:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts