close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CCI Handgun Shotshells

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by firefighter4215, Feb 23, 2010.

1. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I searched and couldn't find any info. Has anyone ever used any of those CCI shotshell loads? Bass Pro has some in .40 S&W, but they were $13.99 for 10. I thought that was pretty high, so I didn't buy any. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the barrel to shoot very many through, and at that price I doubt very many would get shot anyway. Any thoughts or experience with these?

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I've used tons of them shooting rattlers out here on the ranch. Never in a semi auto though. They have mostly all been in a 357mag or a 44mag.

They "will not" hurt your barrel. Shoot away all you want to and do not fear barrel damage, it is just plastic and lead.

Good luck.

CM

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

they are know as "snakekillers" and should be illegal. Snakes around here don't stand a chance!

4. DonD

DonD

This question has come up many times and frequently gets answers that, in my experience, are just flat wrong. People will say that they won't cycle semi autos.

I've used the .40 S&W and .45ACP in Glocks and they have functioned flawlessly. The .45 Colt shotshells are even more effective (in a revolver of course). I have no experience with the 9mm shotshells but they may be marginal due to their smaller payload.

Some previous posts say they work on snakes and based on seeing what they do to soft drink cans, I certainly believe them. Don

5. fredj338

fredj338

They will function in most autos, but IME, the shot charge in anything smaller than the 45acp will require you just about standing on top of your snake. Buy a box, shoot them ojn a piece of 81/2x11 paper to see how much/little shot you'll get.

6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

This was the part I was mainly curious about. It just didn't look like there was a whole lot there to work with. Thanks for the replies folks.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted

CanyonMan

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  8. DonD

DonD

Even if you don't have an eminently worthy targets like rattlers, the shotshells are just plain fun to shoot! Don :supergrin:

9. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Hey CanyonMan, thanks for that reply with pics. Looks like they work.

Yeah they'd be fun to shoot, but at $1.40 a piece that gets expensive!

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted
    CanyonMan

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted

CM

12. tjpet

tjpet

Use to fly fish a couple remote streams out in the West desert. Plenty of rattlers in the area. I adopted a live-and-let-live attitude toward them until almost being bitten a few times. Started carrying an old Charter Arms .44 Spl. Bulldog w/CCI snake loads. Within 5' it settled the hash of any snake foolish enough to get that close.

I loaded them for a time but used so few it wasn't worth the bother. Easier just to stop by the local store and buy a box once in awhile.

Technically, it's illegal to kill rattlers in a lot of Western states. Never heard of anyone enforcing this. But it always pays to be careful.

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thank the good Lord it ain't "technically illegal in Texas.." ;)

Stay safe.

Cm

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I shot a rattler in my back yard this summer with a .45 ACP shotshell out of my Kimber. Worked fine at a range of about 5 feet. The CCI shotshells did cycle my S&W 4516, but don't cycle any of my 1911's. They did not cycle my Glock 19 in 9mm either.

I've patterned the .45 ACP, 9mm, and .38 shotshells. The 9mm and .38 were only good out to 3-5 feet, but the .45 patterned pretty well out to 6+ feet. I also picked up some .44 shotshells, but haven't patterned them yet. I suspect they will do well, and will be my default snake medicine this year.

15. DonD

DonD

I like Canyon Man's approach to rattlers. Better dead than near me.

If that offends some, it shouldn't. I like non poisonous snakes and species like bull snakes do all that rattlers do for rodent control and are not harmful in any way.

Years ago, I caught a bull snake so large that with me at 6' 2" and holding it gently behind the head and near the tail, he had a big droop between my outstretched hands. Several people around and admired the guy before I put him on the ground and he slithered off in search, I guess, of some tasty rodent snack. Don

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Yes sir. The only good rattler is a dead rattler. Especially when your walking out to your truck at night in the underwear to get something , and hear Buzzzzz ! Although I'm really used to them, I still need a change of undies every now and then. :supergrin:

Stay safe DonD.

CanyonMan

17. TWS G26

TWS G26

They don't cycle for me either in the G19, but no problem when I owned a G30 or G21. Wish I had of been the person to invent the dang things.....they are great. At a $1.40 per shot, you would think the ROI for CCI is pretty decent.

18. DonD

DonD

While there are definitely rattlers in my part of NM, my wife and I have been walking considerable distances in all seasons for the past 20 yrs and never saw any until recently. Our granddaughter had been playing on the back patio and about 30 min after she came inside, my wife said there was a snake on the concrete slab. It took about a second to ID the pig as a rattler as it slid off toward the grass. Grabbed a hoe and killed the sucker, no big one about 30" long but disturbing that had the timing been different, it could have easily bitten the little girl.

The severed head opened and closed it's jaws for nearly 30 min after death, very strange. Don

19. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

im jittery just looking at these snakes! I use the 22 shot for bee's.

"The only good snake, is a dead snake" comedian Jerry Clower

20. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I prefer to get close and just shoot 'em with my camera :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]