close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CC Friendly Resturants - AZ

Discussion in 'Grand Canyon Glockers' started by AZG30guy, Nov 30, 2007.

1. AZG30guy

AZG30guy

Howdy All,

I'm looking for chain restaurants in AZ, that don't serve alcohol. I know of Village Inn and Cracker Barrel. I'm looking for better places to take the wife.

Here in Tucson there have been a string of armed robberies taking place outside of restaurants. Mostly people gabbing instead of paying attention to surroundings. My wife is short, petite and disabled which makes her a prime target. I'm going to CC.

We do make it to Phoenix so please chime in on places up there.

Is there even such a thing as a Mexican restaurant that does not serve alcohol?

Thanks

Here is a list of places we have come up with:

General National Chain Restaurants
    The Village Inn
    The Good Egg
    The Eggery
    Cracker Barrel

Sierra Vista
    Ivy's Home Cooking – Sierra Vista
    Golden Corral

General Phoenix Area
    Baja Fresh http://www.bajafresh.com/temp.htm
    Deer Valley Airport Restaurant
    Some Burros http://someburros.com/

2. Daryl in Az

Daryl in Az Enjoying life!

Taco Bell? *grin* I know, that's not really Mexican food. ;)

Tough question. I'm in Sierra Vista, and the choices are limited as far as nice restaurants, much less ones that don't serve alcohol. I don't worry too much though, because my wife's a really good cook.

I'll have to think about this one some.

Daryl

3. justaguy

justaguy

4. zzzarkt

zzzarkt SARCASMOBLASTER

IHOP comes to mind, but for decent mexican food you are out of luck. There are a couple drive through places on the west side, (on Campbell specifically) that are pretty good, but no dine-in places I can think of.

Here's hoping next year we can finally get a sensible law passed that will put this "no carry where alchohol is served" nonsense to bed.

5. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer Silver Member CLM

The Eggery, and the Good Egg, are great for Breakfast & Lunch..

Einstein Bagels..

Subway..

Otherwise, you're pretty much S.O.L. :dunno:

6. jaws48

jaws48

Agree with zzzarkt! We need a more sensible law!

One of my favorite places (Richardson's) for New Mexican style is not in an area where I care to be disarmed at night but I do. I worry more about car break-in than a personal attack but I use a car safe, car alarm, etc but still not comfortable!

7. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer Silver Member CLM

Does anybody know a nice place where the Maitre D' will check your weapon?

Is that even legal?

8. AZG30guy

AZG30guy

Guys, Thanks for the responses.

I guess I should have defined resturants are places with metal silver ware and no drive thru. We're pretty well covered in drive thru senario's. Always a gun or two in the vehicles.

I noticed one thing about the responses, except for Cracker Barrel, all non alcohol resturants are breakfast places.

I'm on board with the opinion that the law just has to go.

Thanks again for your input. I guess it's Omlettes and Cracker Barrel meatloaf until the law changes.

9. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I live in Sierra Vista and travel to Tucson and Phoenix frequently so I'm watching this thread for suggestions. The selection here of restaurants the don't serve beer in about non-existant.

10. jaws48

jaws48

I have searched my feeble memory and came up with one more "restaurant" that serves B/L/D that does not serve alcohol...Deer Valley Airport Restaurant. No valet parking or white table linen but decent American food.

11. AZG30guy

AZG30guy

I remember being down in SV for a funeral. There was a Dinner, kind of a 50's motif. It was buy the fire station, I think. I don't remember alcohol on that menu. I might be wrong.

12. Daryl in Az

Yep. It was called "The Diner", on Hwy 92 just south of Buffalo Soldier Trail. The fire station at this end of town is a little farther south, on Yaqui.

It closed some time back. They had pretty decent food too!

They're now putting in a "Texas Road House" restaurant by the mall, and I've heard rumors about an Olive Garden going in somewhere. TRH will most likely serve alcohol, but not sure about Olive Garden.

For breakfast here, I like Cafe Ole in the Haymore Plaza, and I don't think they serve alcohol. There's also an oriental place in by Wal-Mart that's good for lunch, but I'm not sure if they serve or not. I don't think they do, but I haven't asked.

The sad part is that I don't even drink, but can't carry in places that serve alcohol.

Daryl

13. Lone_Wolfe

Olive Garden's all serve wine.
    Slim pickins on booze free eating here. Really about the only thing I don't like about the area.

14. Daryl in Az

Yeah, but from the posts, the same thing exists elsewhere in the state.

I grew up here, and SV has it's quirks, for sure, but I like it.

15. Lone_Wolfe

I've decided I like it too. In fact just today I accepted a civilian job here and rented an apartment so I'll be sticking around.

16. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

17. AZGlock13

AZGlock13

I hear what everyone is saying (I agree completely). I live in S.V. and in the same boat. I have my AZ CCW and it just burns me up that I can't go out with my wife and sit down in a nice restaurant and legally conceal carry (However, I comply as most CCW holders do and leave my pistol either at home in the safe, or lock it up in my car safe, which I have one in each vehicle, but I sure am not very happy about it I can tell you (just like the rest of you are upset about this whole issue)). Yep, about the only restaurants that don't have a beer/wine license is your fast food joints and breakfast places. The only evening place I found, that is not considered fast food, in Sierra Vista, is the Golden Corral on south highway 92 (just north of Foothills Dr.).

Daryl in Az, The Oriental Buffet and Grill, in the Walmart plaza parking lot area, which you are talking about, does serve alcohol (beer). I have never seen anyone in there drink a beer (only tea, coffee and sodas), but they have beer Neon signs on the wall (Budwieser, Miller, etc.) and one time I finally figured I ask one of the waiters what kind of beers they have (I don't drink either, I only asked to confirm if they serve alcohol or not) and sure enough he rattled off the usual selection (Budwister, Coors, Miller, etc.). I'm assuming The New China Buffet, down by the main gate area of Ft. Huachuca on Fry Blvd., also serves beer as well due to I'm pretty sure it is owned by the same people as The Oriential Buffet and Grill. I really like Sierra Vista a lot (I have been down here since 1990), even though I was born and raised up in Tucson.:supergrin:

As far as the law being changed any time soon, so CCW holders will be allowed to carry in places like restaurants that serve alcohol, I'm not holding my breath. I believe as long as we have the governor we do, Napolitano is not up for re-election until 2010 I believe, this type of legislation if/when passed, which has a fairly good chance of passing (IMHO), will just end up being vetoed by her in the end (I really do hope I'm wrong though).

18. Lone_Wolfe

AZGlock13 is right, New China Buffet does serve beer. So that leaves us the Golden Trough here in S. V.

We need a law like the one Virginia has about carrying in places that sell alcohol.

19. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Sonic the bad berger joint:wow:

20. Daryl in Az

Sonic isn't all that bad as far as fast food goes, and you can carry there. There was quite a shootout between a CCSO officer and an armed robber there about a year ago.

I've ridden with CCSO several times, but I'm glad I wasn't in that vehicle when the guy blew the windshield out of it. Anyone heard what happened to his accomplice who was charged with murder for his death?

My wife and I have stopped going to Golden Corral here lately. Their prices have gotten as high as some of the quality restaurants, and the food isn't that great. It's ok of you're really hungry and/or in a hurry, but it really doesn't even have a quality environment.

You can't carry there, since it's a sports bar, but my wife's really gotten fond of Buffalo Wild Wings. She makes up some pretty good stuff from the sauces they sell. ;)

Daryl