Cavalry Arms Is run out of gun business by BATFE

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by scottlang, Feb 21, 2010.

1. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Call it what you will "some regulatory compliance mistakes were made".
    In my eyes is a problem with the PAPERWORK, manufacturer not complying with a written regulation.

Care to explain the last time they got raided?! :dunno:

2. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

The BATFE views its job to be the prevention of gun sales - not to provide for orderly gun sales.

In short, they view themselves as there to shut dealers down, not to assist dealers in complying with the law.

From their point of view, if you are not BATFE, you are the enemy.

Like the IRS, the BATFE is not necessarily the friend of the honest citizen, nor even necessarily the enemy of the criminal.

They are simply a faceless government agency, with their own independent agenda to garner power and budget.

-ET

3. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

dude, this is Glocktalk and Obama is President. The evil Gov is obviously comming for our guns.

...I mean look how many new gun laws his Administration had enacted!!!

4. scottlang

scottlang Millennium Member

GOOD!!!!! Hopefully they will be firing some of those Jackbooted Thugs!!!!

5. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Don't know much about the health care bill, do you?

6. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  7. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

And how is this not factual? Do you have first hand experience in the subject? Name a single Law Enforcement agency at the federal level that has had substantial hiring increases in the last year (ie back to jan 2009). Normal attrition and hiring to fill those voids doesn't count.

I'll go ahead and help you out.....the answer is none.

8. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Huh? Since you don't have all the facts, how is it that you came to such a "clear" conclusion?:dunno:
    I'm no fan of the ATF, btw.

9. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

That's actually an Obama quote that I threw out there to be funny.

10. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Gotcha.:supergrin::wavey:

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

We have a new health care bill passed through Congress??

12. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I remember when Bill Clinton stated that he was going to reduce the number of FFL's. It looks like the .gov has returned to that policy now that the Democrats have power again. The only difference is that they are keeping it out of the news.

13. nmk

nmk

What a loaded thread title.

14. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

"I suspect" equates to "I guess," or "I assume," or "I speculate," or really more specifically, "I'm speaking without foundation or credibility."

Untrue, and without basis of fact, yet entertaining in a false, inflammatory sort of way. If your aim is to be untruthful and to speculate inaccurately, then well done.

this is your opinion, and of course a bald-faced lie, isn't it?

It is.

This is not a matter of harassment. This is a matter of failure to comply. Do not blame the agency if the manufacturer failed to comply.

Not required. The involved parties have their own attorneys and representation. What Cav Arms did do was post publicly their own compliance failure, and the discussion may end right there. They weren't "driven out of business." They failed to comply with the regulatory requirements for operation, and elected to close doors. Cav arms states that they made mistakes. Nothing here points to persecution by the BATFE, nor to an effort by the government to shut down this operator. Mindless comments blaming the current presidential administration for this only speak to the ignorance of those who make those comments. Whereas the manufacturer openly stated that their dispute has been ongoing for two years, how does one blame the current administration for the manufacturers mistakes? If one is capable of rational thought and doesn't engage in foolish speculation, one does not blame the present administration, or the agency, or seek to put blame anywhere other than at the feet of the manufacturer.

After all, the manufacturer has placed this blame there, themself.

15. my762buzz

my762buzz

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

"The BATFE views its job to be the prevention of gun sales - not to provide for orderly gun sales."

I have worked with some ATF guys who have done an excellent job of putting career criminals (drug dealers armed robbers) in prison for a long time. I don't know what the agency culture is, but these guys have done a good job.

17. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Good job or not---there is something inherently wrong with an agency set up to block,regulate,and/or administrate a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

Imagine the screeches there would be if there were the Bureau of Free Speech Police or something of the sort.

18. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Do you really think they wouldn't take away all of our guns right now if they had the chance?

That said, this is sad news. I own a couple of CAV ARMS receivers, they are supposedly "blems" but I can't tell. They work great and are very light. I am sad to see these guys run out of business...

19. moeman

moeman

What a bunch of BS on this thread--everyone who claims its BATF excess, Obama, UFOs...

Need to do a little research before mouthing off-- "in federal court last week, owner Shawn Nealon admitted that he and his company illegally sold as many as 40 weapons". He did this to himself. Personal responsibility.

Calvary Arms had a major ****ue up:

Gilbert firearms maker admits to illegal sale of weapons
    Complex gun regulations led to owner's violation, his attorney says
    47 commentsby Robert Anglen - Feb. 22, 2010 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic
    A Gilbert firearms manufacturer will cease its gun operations after the company's owner pleaded guilty to illegally selling rifles, shotguns and handguns.

Cavalry Arms Corp. says on its Web site that it has been "engaged in an ongoing dispute" with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or ATF, for two years over "regulatory and compliance mistakes."

But in federal court last week, owner Shawn Nealon admitted that he and his company illegally sold as many as 40 weapons to an out-of state buyer, and he voluntarily surrendered his federal firearms licenses, meaning Cavalry will no longer be able to import, manufacture or deal in weapons or ammunition.

"This is not some individual setting up a stand at a gun show," U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke said Friday. "These are the preliminary steps that individuals take to get around federal laws in order to traffic in illegal firearms."

Although none of the Cavalry guns has been linked to a crime, Burke said such cases are a particular concern for the agency.

Illegal-firearms sales are steadily increasing in Arizona, with much of the market driven by demand in Mexico, said Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona.

"The activity - southbound guns into Mexico - is very robust," he said. "We have (several) very active investigations going on now."

Nealon's lawyer, Mark Vincent of Chandler, called the charges against his client ridiculous.

"This is by no means a great victory for the government," he said, describing federal gun regulations as arcane. "In my opinion, no gun dealer in the United States could comply with the myriad of regulations. . . . It's almost impossible to determine what the law is."

Vincent said as much as 90 percent of the government's original case against Cavalry was dismissed, leaving his client pleading guilty to selling to an out-of-state buyer.

"It's a minor problem. . . . If that had been the only (charge), I don't know that they would have bothered with it," he said, adding: "Nobody was hurt. Nobody was almost hurt."

Nealon faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine when he is sentenced in April.

But authorities say the bigger victory in this case is stripping Nealon of his firearms license.

Cavalry's primary gun operation involved creating a polymer mold of a part for the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle. The "lower receiver," the piece between the barrel and the stock, contains the firing mechanism. It is defined by the government as a firearm. The receivers were sold to the public and to other manufacturers for commercial and law-enforcement use.

According to a memo from Cavalry's lawyers included in court documents, Cavalry employed six people and sold as many as 6,000 receivers between 2000 and 2006.

In a criminal complaint in 2008, ATF agents accused Nealon of illegal-weapons manufacturing for making the receivers. In addition, he was accused of illegal sales and export of other guns and possession of unlicensed firearms.

"To cover up this widespread illegal activity, Cavalry Arms and Nealon have failed to keep records, falsified records and lied to ATF," the complaint states.

The ATF cited violations dating to 2000, including failure to keep a weapons inventory, failure to conduct background checks on at least 25 purchasers and failure to report a multiple-handgun sale.

Another problem: The ATF said Cavalry had outsourced the production of its molded receivers to an unlicensed company.

Following a search of Cavalry's offices and Nealon's Mesa home in 2008, agents said Nealon had illegally sold weapons to out-of-state buyers, more than 40 of those to a California resident who often stored those weapons at Nealon's home.

Those weapons included: nine 9mm handguns, five .45-caliber handguns, five .22-caliber handguns, five .223 rifles, three 12-gauge shotguns, two .38-caliber handguns, two .44-caliber handguns, a .380-caliber handgun, a .308 rifle, a 7.62x39mm rifle, a 5.45x39mm rifle and a .357 rifle.

"Given Cavalry Arms' . . . willingness to falsify records to cover up illegal activities, including illegal sales, it is difficult, if not impossible, to determine exactly how many illegal sales Cavalry Arms and Nealon have made to out-of-state residents," the criminal complaint states.

Nealon on Friday referred questions about the case to his lawyer. But he said Cavalry is not shutting its doors.

He said the company will sell off its inventory of weapons, which it will be allowed to do with ATF oversight, and concentrate on developing firearm accessories and medical products.

"The firearms portion of our business doesn't make up a large part of what we do," Nealon said.

However, news of the shutdown prompted posts of outrage and well-wishes on Cavalry's Web page.

"CavArms has some righteous dudes working there and the ATF has screwed you over since they don't have the guts to take on street and prison gangs," one person said in an online post.

Burke had another take on the subject.

"This isn't the first or the last time a defendant is going to try and redefine his culpability," the U.S. attorney said. "For the rest of the gun industry, it's a sign to other bad actors that we are going to focus on them."

20. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

So he violated draconian communist Californian laws which are unconstitutional and was charged by an agency that operates above the law and should not even exist to begin with.

I legally own weapons here in free America that if I went across the border five miles away would make me a felon. Gotcha.