Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ambassador 01
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is old news.. but I have my fingers crossed that the pile of parts I bought a week ago will fix the brass to the face (btf) issues I've been having for months on my Glock 19 Gen 3.

Here's what I've done thus far..
- Tried different new / factory ammo. 115g, 124g, JHP, etc.. still same issues.
- Cleaned and lubed the pistol. Tested.. still problems.
- Replaced the 336 ejector with 30274 ejector. Tested ... still problems. Actually this time one casing got me really good in the face and burned my cheek.. ouch.

Here is what I'm going to try now.. before testing again...
- Replace springs on trigger housing
- Replace recoil spring
- Replace extractor with Lone Wolf extractor (LWD-1895)

Any other suggestions on things to try? If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas. The pistol has always operated reliably .. it is just this one issue that I'm having trouble sorting out.

Thanks for any sage advise you may have.

·
Ambassador 01
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've cured this problem (so far) on two 9mm Glocks by replacing the extractor with the earlier version (pre loaded chamber indicator.)

Don't forget the spring loaded bearing.
Thanks for reminding me about the loaded bearing indicator part. It was only $2 so I had to buy some other goodies to make my order worthwhile.. LOL

I have a good feeling that these changes will fix things.. fingers crossed!

·
NRA Member
1,537 Posts
I replaced all my Gen 3 with the new ejector and apex extractor (7-9mm's) and I have zero brass to face

Reactions: red devil

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I agree that the Apex extractor is very effective, and likely a complete fix. Their heavier spring is part of the equation, and the longer bearing also helps.

The 30274 does seem to help, but my experience is that the extractor changes pretty much take care of the problem.

·
Ambassador 01
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the Apex extractor is very effective, and likely a complete fix. Their heavier spring is part of the equation, and the longer bearing also helps.

The 30274 does seem to help, but my experience is that the extractor changes pretty much take care of the problem.
I chose to try the Lone Wolf extractor before the Apex one. The Apex is $50 versus $15 Lone Wolf.

If these repairs work then I'll be frequenting the range much more often!

·
NRA Life Member
6,671 Posts
This is by no means meant to be derogatory in any way...

If the gun works reliably, why start changing all sorts of internal parts on it? Just because the brass does not all eject into a nice neat pile next to you? One of the reasons I love Glocks is because they work, and work, and work under any conditions with limited attention.

Is this brass to face thing really that much of an issue? Is it being caused by a less than ideal grip?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
BTF is a very big deal when it's hitting a brand new $500 Docter Dot. The fix was an Apex extractor and Gen 4 ejector. It will actually throw the brass up and out without a magazine. OEM Glocks will throw it down the mag well. My kid has this issue with his late model Gen 3's.

And it's not a grip issue, he is a USPSA A Class shooter. And my 20 year old Glocks don't do BTF.

·
Ambassador 01
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is by no means meant to be derogatory in any way...

If the gun works reliably, why start changing all sorts of internal parts on it? Just because the brass does not all eject into a nice neat pile next to you? One of the reasons I love Glocks is because they work, and work, and work under any conditions with limited attention.

Is this brass to face thing really that much of an issue? Is it being caused by a less than ideal grip?
To me I would like to have the pistol function without throwing brass at my head. Most of the time it doesn't bother me but a couple of weeks ago at the range I had one hit me on the left cheek and it left a burn.

I know I'm holding the pistol correctly as I've had it for several years and this is a relatively new issue. I even had a friend try and he confirmed the behaviour.

I guess I just want it to operate as it used to.. :) Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is a lot of myth and mystery to the BTF problem. I wonder if it's a problem that can ever be truly resolved.

As I alluded to above, one of my shooting buddies bought a new Gen 3 19 and it worked fine for awhile. Without warning it started flinging hot brass right into his face. Different ammo was purchased, we polished up the extractor and cleaned/lubed the pistol without avail. It was not his grip, as the BTF plagued everyone who shot the pistol. After replacing the extractor and SLB with the earlier version the BTF went away. Not really sure though if it's gone forever - or is lurking in the shadows to make a reappearance. It's a very annoying problem and for a serious self defense shooter, impossible to get used to or ignore.

I first suffered BTF with an older Gen 2 17, it was all original and it consistently planted each empty casing right between the eyes. In my experience BTF seems to span all the generations of the Glock - at least in the 9mm versions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts