close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caught a "few" bass

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by sharpshooter, Jul 7, 2006.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I did some bass fishing yesterday at my favorite hole. The bass are still young and small, but there are TONS of them everywhere. Didn't catch any "big" ones this trip, most of them were in the 8" to 10" range with a few up to about 12". I caught approx 100 bass and approx 50 bluegills from 1pm to 7pm. :)

The bass were biting on my custom made "sharpshooter special" 2-inch worm with a split tail and a few beads on a #6 hook fished on the surface. They can't help but attack that thing. I also caught a few on 8" black Power Worms, 6" natural colored Walmart worms, 6" melon Yakomoto worms, assorted jigs and rubber swim baits. They won't touch a buzz bait, never have. My homemade "sharpshooter special" catches more fish than anything I've seen after fishing this lake for 16 years and it's what I use 90% of the time unless I'm going after the big ones.

The bluegills stay tight to the shoreline guarding their nests. This time of year, they attack just about ANYTHING that hits the water. Cast within inches of the shore and if there's one there you'll hook him garanteed.
    [​IMG]

This is about med/large size for this time of year. Not real big but they're pretty fat. Lots of fun, especially on my ultralight rig and 4lb line. They'll grow by the time Sept rolls around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried one of these rubber swim baits and caught this guy on the first cast. Didn't catch anything else on that lure all day. ???
    [​IMG]

I started counting my percentages of casts vs catches. A few times I'd catch 4 bass in 4 casts. That's the highest I got. I caught 24 on the same 2" rubber worm before it finally fell off the hook. I caught 12 bass on this one, it ripped in two so I salvaged the tail end and caught 9 more including some bluegills before I retired it.
    [​IMG]

At the end of the day I kept a few bluegills for the frying pan for me and the Mrs. I think they're yummy fried in butter and fresh garlic, but hardly worth the work. It takes more time to clean them than it does to eat them.
    [​IMG]

2. noway

noway

Nice story and looks like some beautifull waters. btw are those fishes in the last pictures Pumpkin Seed? The coloring on the chin, organge bottoms and lack of a prounounced black bars makes me believe they are more of the pumpkinseeds sunfish vrs a bluegill.

Either way a very nice catch ;)

3. sharpshooter

I always thought they were bluegills. In that pic, they've been dead and gutted and sitting on ice chips for about 3 hours. Straight out of the water, they look like this. (it's a small one, I use them for live bait to catch the big bass later in the summer)

[​IMG]

4. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

I was going to say they look like Pumpkinseed to me as well.

5. noway

noway

Pumpkinseed are one of the best fighting and great eaters when compared to the plain jane bluegills. The bright unders and sometimes the orange tips on the gills plate is what you use to positively I.D them from being a common bluegill. Without a closer up photos, I still sliding on these are pumpkinseeds even tho I haven't see any with prounouce vertical stripes like that one photo with smaller fish. One of the best and rare ( depending on where your at sunfish ).

Either way a nice catch ;)

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

See how big the mouth is? Definitely a punkinseed variety.

A true bluegilled sunfish has a tiny mouth in comparison.

Great catch! I wish there was someplace even remotely like that near my AO.

BTW, I have always 'stuffed' and baked bluegills or any other panfish rather than filletting them out; this goes for perch and crappie too.

I just behead, gut and de-fin them and place them on a cookiesheet covered with aluminum foil.

Then I mix some butter with freshly-crushed garlic and onion and slather the insides of each fish liberally with the stuff. Salt and pepper the inside of each fish, where the butter mix is, and close them up.

Bake uncovered at 350F for 35 to 45 minutes.

When the fish comes out the skin will be very loose. Let them cool for 3 to 5 minutes and pick up the fish, one at a time, with a spatula.

Let the fishmeat slip out of its jacket and onto the serving tray. Try not to allow any scales to come loose and fall onto the platter. Pick up any you see.

Alternately, you can peel the skin from belly to back and lift the meat out with a spatula--this leaves the scales on the Al foil at all times and works better with smaller panfish.

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with your favorite tartar sauce, and show the young'uns how to 'comb' the meat from the ribs with their forks.

In this way, you get all the meat from each fish, with no bones, while leaving a perfectly intact skeleton on your plate for each one you devour.

NOTE: Make sure you catch enough for a feast! Even people who normally don't care for fish will usually devour this stuff!!

Simple, quick and delicious. Not only that, but it's far healthier than deep frying the little blighters!

Enjoy!

7. noway

noway

I might try that my nexk time out. I've cooked mind the same but with head on and stomach gutted but de-scaled.

i perfer bacon and onion in the inside cavity and I rub them with salt/butter also. 10mins wrapped in foil on a fire grill is all it takes. The skin should be easily remove like paper.

8. sharpshooter

When they're live and fresh, they all have that pronounced vertical striping just like that small one in my hand. Seems like no matter how big or small, their mouths are just big enough for my to stick my finger inside, no bigger.

9. what_stanger?

what_stanger?

pumpkinseed sunfish have the same mouthsize as a bluegill, but do look like the fish you caught, with the blue marks and such, some more pronounced.

'green sunfish', 'warmouth' and 'rock bass' have the larger mouths.
    green sunfish are usually pretty dark, somtimes confused with warmouth.

I've got a pic somewhere of a gargantuan pumpkinseed, in the picture it looks the size of my head (its not, but it was huge). I caught it on an ultralight with a decent sized fathead, it rocked. Talk about a fight, on my ultralight it was a blast.

10. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

I agree that Pumpkinseed taste the best of all the panfish. My personal preference anyways. I just pan dress them since I usually catch some small fish that don't fillet well. Simple flour, salt, pepper mix breading and fry in butter. Mmmm, good.

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I cut my fishing hooks going after bluegill off of the docks as a small child.

Little corn meal, flour, and salt and pepper and you are golden.

Dinner last night:

[​IMG]

12. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

duncan, that looks delicious. ;)

13. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

My wife sometimes complains about all of the space my cast iron cookware takes - in the garage!

But cooked fresh fish is the best.

Love those little pan fryers?

Best way to get little ones fishing too.

14. Razoreye

Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Dude, cast iron is the only way to go, IMO when frying fish. You need something that thick. Keep 'em around!