Cats with UTI's

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Padre, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Padre

Padre

Hello:
    Got a question for the cat owners.
    We have a Maine Coon who constantly has a Urinary Track Infection. He will be OK for a while and then will start crying, and has a hard time urinating. Blood in his stool, etc.
    We have taken him to the vet and they give him an antibiotic and he's OK for a while..then he gets it again. They checked him for crystals, which was negative. They also said that he has a very small bladder...which doesn't help.
    He doesn't like Science Diet (he is picky) and will lick the juices off and leave a lot of the food. The doctor HIGHLY recommends a food that is specifically made for this problem.
    Are there any recommendations for food, other than Science diet?
    I've seen this discussed before on here....and would like to get any ideas.
    Thank you,
    <Padre>

SK2344 likes this.
  2. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Not a vet. Didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, either. But I do wish you the best for your kitty. The vet will be able to figure it out. When he's hungry enough, he'll eat the SD. My cat Colbie has a thyroid issue. I have some stuff to rub on the inside of her ears. She hated it at first, now she barely stops eating the tuna.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Stones/crystals in the bladder was out problem. Start feeding him something that raises the acidic level of his diet. There are specific foods that do this from a few manufactures.

railfancwb likes this.
  4. PBCounty

PBCounty

I had a cat with the same issue. It was solved by purchasing a food called C/D Feline Cat Food if I recall. It was a white, blue and yellow bag and only sold at veterinarian offices / pet pharmacies for about twice the cost of premium regular cat food.

Inyo Tim, railfancwb and RPK Clone like this.
  5. PBCounty

PBCounty

6. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

agree with going hills rx route; they generally make in both kibble and canned versions. obtain rx from vet for both and ween him off whatever he's currently being fed. follow vets advice regardless off all else. he gets hungry enough it'll sort itself out. my guy's been on rx kd for past several years and he's nearing sunset closing in on 17 y.o.

7. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

My girl cat (bunny wabbit) had problems for years. Vet kept treating her for a UTI, but it never helped. She had stones that didn't show up in x-rays, but they were in there. She had them removed 3 years ago? She used to pee all over the house, and she hasn't done it at all since the stones were removed. She eats this food to help keep them from coming back. It's prescription only, and expensive, but it works.
    61J4+bmMwoL._SY879_.jpg

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

[​IMG]

This is what my daughter the vet has me feeding.

She has told me cats aren’t big on drinking water so I supplement with wet canned food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Our 12yo male cat randomly wasn't acting "himself." Took him to the vet, bladder blockage.

A couple nights of 24/7 monitoring with a catheter, flushed out the grit and stones, and then a prescription for the C/D food listed above.

I use the dry food, but add in some water to make sure he gets some liquid in him. He eats his whole day's worth of food in about 5 minutes, a truly voracious eater, so that's a workable solution for us.

It's been six months or so, he's been fine since, hopefully that continues.

He's also been on Prednisolone for his whole life for asthma.

Detectorist likes this.
  10. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Wait, blood in stool is not a UTI.

11. dudel

dudel

Ask your vet if Mirataz might be a good idea. You rub a bit in their ear, and it makes them hungry. Best wishes to you and your kitty.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. podwich

podwich

Yeah, saw that too. I assume you told your vet about the blood in the stool? I'm no vet, but that would seem to take you along a different set of differential diagnoses than just UTI.

Upgrayedd likes this.
  13. Padre

Padre

Yes, told Doc about blood in the stool. Happens every time that he has this condition. No crystals...but did read an article that talked about the overprescribing of antibiotics for this type o disorder and how much wet food is than dry food (wet food=70% moisture as compared to dry food=5-7% moisture and how cats should be fed mostly wet food rather than dry. How this compares more to their natural diet.
    Interesting article and it does make sense.
    <Padre>

14. m6scout

m6scout

We have a longhaired rescue cat. He looks to have a lot of Maine Coon or Norwegian forest cat heritage. We had the same problem... repeated crystals & blockages. We eventually had his urethra surgically rerouted. It was really expensive, but it was 13 years ago and he's been great since. We were fortunate to have a really skilled veterinary surgeon.

15. Padre

Padre

I certainly hope that we don't have to do that for Tye....but, if we have to, we will.
    Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions. Hope we can figure this out.
    <Padre>

16. Sniff

Sniff

I had a UTI myself last week and was in hospital for it (and other issues).

It was like pissing razor blades for a couple of days.

I TRULY feel for your cat.

railfancwb likes this.
  17. ray9898

ray9898

That doesn't sound like a simple UTI....it sounds FLUTD. I had a cat die from it years ago after a couple of years of complications. It isn't an infection, the urethra actually gets blocked by crystals.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/FLUTD.aspx

railfancwb likes this.
  18. SK2344

SK2344

I picked up a stray cat in 2015 which was on my doorstep one morning. He was about a year old and I soon discovered he had the exact same condition which you have described. After using several anti biotics that did not work, my vet finally gave me one that did and he has been free and clear of this for about 4 years. He also has to eat a low protein diet of dry food only which I purchase from my Vet by prescription only! The Medication that finally wprked is as follows: SULFATRIM PD200-40/5SUS STI /// WHICH IS GENERIC FOR: SMZ-TMP 200-40/5 SUS. I GAVE HIM 1/4 TEASPOON BY MOUTH EVERY 12 HOURS FOR 2 WEEKS. Since then, he has been a very healthy and happy cat for over 4 years!