close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cats eating dog food

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by LongGoneDays, Jan 29, 2007.

1. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Sometime in October, this 8 to 10 week oldish kitten adopts me and my Labs. I bought it cat food in a can, and he loved it. Then it got to where he started eating with the dogs in their food bowl.

I got into a habit of not buying cat food and it didn't seem to bother him at all. He goes outside with the dogs, sleeps with the dogs, plays with the dogs, so eating with them was no big deal.

But I've heard that dog food can cause stomach problems with a cat. So I started buying him the canned food again. Serving says to give 2 cans a day, and even still he'll leave part of uneaten, once it turns dry he turns his nose up at it (unless he's outside and I won't let him in).

So, cat food or not, he keeps eating the dog's food. Unfortunately, there was a period of time where my dogs were eating Ol' Roy that was donated by a family member while I was in between jobs. Yesterday I officially bought their first bag of their normal dog food.

All three of them went wild on it CRUNCH CRUNCH MEOW BARK CRUNCH CRUNCH OH MY GOD REAL FOOD CRUNCH CRUNCH.

Should I worry about him since he's eaten dog food off and on for a a month, nothing but dog food for a month, and now continues to eat it even though he has his own food ?

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Try dry catfood. If he is happy with the dog's food, which is dry?, he might like it better.

Stay away from too much of the canned foods: there is too much of something in there that he will get over time. My cats get a couple cans a month as a treat. That is a couple cans divided among four cats.

He really NEEDS catfood. His stomach isn't what you need to worry about, it is him going blind. Catfood contains taurine which dogs don't need so it isn't found in dogfood. It is added to catfood to keep cats from going blind. You can feed a dog catfood and be just fine but a cat eating dogfood won't get the taurine he needs.

3. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Also, I was told by my vet that a dog/cat can become malnourished after eating the other's food for too long. The proteins are not formulated the same and are often not digestible. I too had a cat that liked dog food, and a dog that was willing to share his.

The vet's advice, "Don't worry if she eats the dog food, as long as she is eating her food as well."

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Thanks, I've never even heard of taurine until today. I posted this on another forum and they talked about it as well.

I think my plan is to buy a bag of dry cat food, for everyday feeding, and use the wet food just sometimes. He'll still scavenge on the dog's food, but I'm going to start separating them when I feed the dogs. At least he's proved he'll eat anything lol.

5. sniper350

sniper350

Well don't skimp on your dog's food and your cat will get the Taurine he needs. Many [ some ] high end dog food suppliers recognize that dogs have a need for this amino acid also ----- so they have started adding Taurine. Check your dog food ingredients and see if this additive is there ?

Wet food [ unless it is the super premium ] is not good for your pets in general. Dry food supports a firmer stool......and helps keep teeth clean. Bad teeth can effect your cat's health dramatically. I have found that most cats need a dental cleaning at least once in their lifetime ....if they are to stay at the top of their health. But I am going off on a tangent now.........

JF.

6. mr.burt gummer

mr.burt gummer

my cat gets a can of friskies everyday for the last 21 yes twenty one years plus all the dry she wants

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Ditto for my girls, vet said that would work for me too.

8. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Taurine - http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/taurine.php

9. John97

John97

Natural Balance dry dog food is fortified with taurine. But, as others have said, make sure the cat eats cat food.