close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Catfish Fat?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Chevytuff19, May 22, 2006.

1. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

How much fat does one supermarket catfish filet generally have? I usually grill some for lunch but have heard that catfish isn't really very healthy for you.

Thanks,

Wes

2. noway

noway

The fat isn't the issue, it's mercury. All farm raised fish have more mercury than their non-farmed raised versions.

I would even bet a 1oz of catfish has less fat than a equal oz of chicken,prok or meat. Probably in the 5-8gram range.

3. 97guns

97guns

+ i think fish fat is actually good for you.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

I stopped eating farm raised catfish years ago. I worked with a women who grew up in the South (the state escapes me). She won't eat catfish because they are raised in flooded, former cotton fields. The old cotton fields are full of pesticides that leach out into the fish pond. Good enough explanation for me.

5. noway

noway

That's agood explanation, when humans intervine no tell what you get or not getting.

I had the oppurtunity to eat farm and wild tilapia ( you know the fish that will replace catfish one day and only if noway had his way ;) and man what a big difference.

Overall, if you let mother nature make the items vrs man's attempt to helping it, then you will normally get a better, healthier and tastier product ;)

just my 2cts observation.

6. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Could it be that they were talking about catfish not being as "heart" healthy for you as some other fish is in Omega-3s?

Here's a chart that compares mercury levels and omega-3 levels on different types of fish. Generally speaking, larger fish have higher mercury levels. Cold water fishes are usually associated with having higher Omega-3 levels.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3013797

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

Not counting contaminates like mercury or pesticides, eating fish is generally a healthy diet.

Deep fried catfish with hushpuppies & fries is not.
    "Grilled" can mean lots of things. The sauce or butter added will be much worse for you than the fish.

All food sources have thier own issues of polution vs saftey. Beef/chicken/fish/veggies etc.

I like catfish, but all bottom feeders & shellfish are suspect. I'll take my chances with salmon & tuna.

:patriot:

8. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

I often buy catfish pieces out of the seafood case. I suspect this is the leftovers from trimming filets. In any case, I put them in the skillet with NO oil. I normally have to drain it off TWICE, THEN I will add seasoning.They will become brown and reasonably crispy, from their own fat that leeches out.:upeyes: