Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you work in a "catch and release" jurisdiction? Are you sick and tired of arresting frequent fliers or violent criminals only for them to be granted pre-trial release by some bleeding heart judge? I know I am sick and tired of it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
38,704 Posts
The way I look at it most of our arrestees are from out of the area. My plan is to tag them like invasive species as soon as them come in. Document they are out of the area with DL showing on tickets and booking paperwork. Then when the local social services gives the local ID tag that too. Then when they stab someone in the neck in 6 months we have proof they we not locals.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
I've become particularly jaded lately when I have made numerous felony arrests in the last week. Two of them were felony battery charges. Not one of them was given a bond higher than $500 cash.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I would argue that any felony cost you at least $1k to get out of jail. If you can't afford the cash, maybe you shouldn't commit a felony?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vigilant

· Registered
Joined
·
17,442 Posts
I've become particularly jaded lately when I have made numerous felony arrests in the last week. Two of them were felony battery charges. Not one of them was given a bond higher than $500 cash.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I would argue that any felony cost you at least $1k to get out of jail. If you can't afford the cash, maybe you shouldn't commit a felony?
Far be it for me to accuse anyone of anything, but setting bail so high it can't be met means the bail bondsman has nothing to share with friends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
Far be it for me to accuse anyone of anything, but setting bail so high it can't be met means the bail bondsman has nothing to share with friends.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not of concern here, since Wisconsin does not do bondsman. You better have good friends if you don't have the cash.
 

· Lifetime Newbie
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
:mememe:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,833 Posts
Yup, 90% of everything I do is complete BS. Of the remaining 10% the courts screw up half of that...

I once saw a judge give a fugitive from out of state a PR bond...


Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,885 Posts
How many of you work in a "catch and release" jurisdiction? Are you sick and tired of arresting frequent fliers or violent criminals only for them to be granted pre-trial release by some bleeding heart judge? I know I am sick and tired of it.
By "pre-trial release" , do you mean bail/surety, or are you talking about some type of plea/probation deal?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
Really? there are no bail bond businesses in Wisconsin?

Damn, I could only wish for that here in FL....
Nope. Commercial bail bonding is not allowed in Wisconsin. No bondsman, no bounty hunters.

We also have no exception to law for bounty hunters. They cannot make arrests in my state. If they want somebody that has absconded to Wisconsin, they find them, watch them and call us to make an arrest IF there is a valid warrant. If not, too bad, so sad.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ranger1968, in this jurisdiction pre-trial release, unless they can make bond, is that they are released from jail with orders to report to pre trial, and they basically have to check in with pre-trial (run by misdemeanor probation officers or techs), some by only by phone and some, when they need to give a piss sample, in person.

Some judges appear to live in an ivory tower and are clueless as to what goes on in the streets.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,667 Posts
Job security. It is what it is.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I pretty much gave up on the 'results' end of things when I arrested the same party for the dozenth (12th) time. Between plea deals, continuances, and bond reductions, he was able to bond yet AGAIN, on multiple felony counts.

When the judge, DA and defense finally put together all the myriad cases against him, which should earn him a maybe not life, but I'mma be retired before your dumb ass sees daylight sentence, he'll probably end up with 5 in the pen and parole. In the meantime, he's out again. I have no doubt we'll catch him AGAIN, the only question is how many houses and how many people get their property stolen in the mean time.

It's awful to say, but I have concluded my job ends when the jail cell door closes. I will always build toward beyond a reasonable doubt in every case I work... But so many cases have been flushed for an easy plea, I take no responsibility for what happens post-arrest. I put him where he belongs. Other powers let him out(again, again, again...again...again.)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top