close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cat was killed , need suggestions please

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by hangmans joke, Nov 30, 2004.

1. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

hi , im really sad at the momment, i found my cat killed today, he was missing since saturday night. we found him 10 feet from the house in the woods . we live back in the woods and he stays in mostly and goes out sometimes because he loves being outside, i know its my fault hes gone ,but cici was a great kitty ,who was only 8 months old..i own alot of land here and i searched from 1pm to 430 pm and my girfriend searched the other side of woods and she found him ,yesterday we went door to door thruout neighborhood and posted pics and flyers everywhere,not long ago he had a to have a 3,000 surgery . but money is no object o pets and companions,and now i have to live with it was my fault.he had puncture marks on and around his neck ,and several puncture marks on his body,

here my question , i have researched on the net bout foxes and bobcats, my girlfriend have seen them in the daytime before, but i havent , i have seen several deer time to time jump by the road. my question to anyone out there is , what would the suggested cause be bobcat or fox ??? he wasnt eaten on at all.just looked like broke neck and several large punctures on him. i do take blame , but this has never happened in my yard before , i mean im in the woods but you can see buildings and main road from my front door , i shouldnt have let him out that night ,but i did and hes dead because of it. now is time to try to find out what happened. there are alot of leaves here , and i havent found any viable tracks. any suggestions ? his mommy cat is now strictly indoor. shes lost at the moment, please say a prayer for cici and for me , im devastated and lost right now . thanks hj

2. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

Sorry to hear that pard, I have a situation much like yours, my cat has to go out every night or he goes bananas, I would strongly suspect a dog in your cats death, a wild animal would likely have eaten something, cats are a favorite of coyotes but again they dont kill for sport they kill for food.

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Sorry to hear about this HJ.......really sad........

It does sound like he was attacked by some wild animal larger than himself and you can only figure the horror he felt........

I hope you adopt another cat soon....and for hell sakes...PLEASE leave said cat INSIDE (knowing what wildlife you have in those woods).........if they do NOT get a taste of the great outdoors they do not miss it. My 2 are just fine as inside ONLY cats......and I feel better knowing they are in.......

It's possible your little buddy was killed by a wild animal and then the wild animal got spooked by humans before it could consume your cat......another thought was wild dogs???? Could that have been it????

I am so sorry for your loss, he was your buddy and your best friend.......;1 ;u

4. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

thanks peachie, im gonna get a motion activated camcorder soon and so some surveilance . hinsight i guess really is 20/20 , for years the woods have been safe and my mom lives in part of same estate, and has an outside cat for 18 years , go figure, and i have personally seen 8 to 10 different cats that either got thrown out of car, or just let go come by house,in the coming days i got some ideas and i have already set up some big live traps so hopefully ill find out what is doing this. cici loved the outdoors so much ,i wish i could have that night back.

also , my moms cat has been put inside only at her house , shes really upset and said never had this problem with domestic pets getting killed and my family has lived in same place for 50 years, the woods are a changing , around here more and more woods are cut ,i blame partly that, the 100 acres i own has never been cut , i guess the animals know this and come here.

5. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

So sorry for your loss.

6. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

thanks glockgirl ,and everyone . i know most folks in the world think im a animal fanatic and i get to upset when something happens but i cant help it. im proud to know i love animals and not ashamed to cry.

hj

7. TMK

TMK Let God Sort'em

Sorry to hear of your loss! I hope you do not beat yourself up over this...a confluence of events on the great circle made it your cat's time...it is sad but hardly your fault!!

Regards, Ted

8. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that you gave your cat a good home and some good times, along with the freedom to roam, which no doubt he loved.

9. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

thanks tmk ,miss maggie, im still looking for him when i come home , i kep thinkin if i would hae done something diferent. around my home has been safe for pets up until now , its a shock to the system to realize after all this time here at my homeplace it has now changed forever. cc loved to go out soooooooooo much , we couldnt just kep him bottled up in the house . he so much enjoyed chasing leaves and anything moving on the porch. to every one that has responded you have no idea how much your words have touched me and my family, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

hj

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Hi hj,

I am so sorry about Cici... Especially when you are so burdened with China's problems right now :(

You said Cici loved to chase anything that moved. I have brought that fun iside for my kitties :) Video Catnip is a DVD I got them for their birthdays about a year and a half ago. It is about two hours of nothing but footage of squirrels, chipmunks, birds and more birds. Some of it has corney music the cats recognize from another room! The last hour or so has the birds sounds (and other outside noises but the cats don't mind...). They will sit and stare at the TV when it is off wanting to see their movie. Thought you might want to check into this for you next kitty.

Again, I am so sorry about Cici.

11. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

thank you so much miss kitty. i guess the good lord doesnt give us to much we cant handle. i guess. ive been told that by so many and im graced to live in a tight nit little community. china fortunately is doing better ,thankfully ,she has to go to the vet weekly for tests and blood work .but shes a fighter and has alot of prayers going .again thank you for the kind words. you take care and give those kitties alittle extra hug , thanks hj

12. 16vmkII

16vmkII Whipped

I live in the suburbs right by the ocean and I have seen bobcats. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't what it was.

13. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Sorry you lost your kitty. Would have to say that most any animal that would leave puncture marks and not devouring at least part of the carcass would more than likely be a dog. A Pet dog. One that is fed. And not need to eat. Most of the other animals will either consume or drag back to their den. Very few wild animals pass up a meal. I know its harsh and that its tough to lose a loved one. But if you will keep your eyes open you will also find domestic dogs running around in the area where your kitty was. Or was tossed by someone who knew what happened.

Hard as it is any time a kitty is out there are many dangers from other animals. Our kitty has a door he goes and comes and I have a constant fight with unleashed dogs in my neighborhood. They even try to get in his door. Raised on a farm with many outdoor savy cats I never saw one killed and let lay unless it was shot or killed by a dog. I love dogs too but its their nature. Now if the dog is ferral then it too will consume some of the kill. :(

14. BigBadBear

BigBadBear

Sorry for your loss. Some people don't realize how close some of us get to our pets. Mine are like my children.

Don't let this get you down.