close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cat trivia

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by MrsKitty, Dec 7, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Got this in an email today. :)

Lipped from: www.cats.alpha.pl

Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.

Cats are sometimes born with extra toes. This is called polydactly. These toes will not harm the cat, but you should keep his claws trimmed just like any toe.

Newborn kittens have closed ear canals that don't begin to open for nine days.When the eyes open, they are always blue at first. They change color over a period of months to the final eye color.

Most cats have no eyelashes.

A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor.

You can tell a cat's mood by looking into its eyes. A frightened or excited cat will have large, round pupils. An angry cat will have narrow pupils. The pupil size is related as much to the cat's emotions as to the degree of light.

It is a common belief that cats are color blind. However, recent studies have shown that cats can see blue, green and red.

A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye. White cats with orange eyes do not have this disability.

A cat can jump even seven times as high as it is tall.

Cats lack a true collarbone. Because of this lack, cats can generally squeeze their bodies through any space they can get their heads through. You may have seen a cat testing the size of an opening by careful measurement with the head.

Mother cats teach their kittens to use the litter box.

Neutering a cat extends its life span by two or three years.

Cats can't taste sweets.

Cats must have fat in their diet because they can't produce it on their own.

Some common houseplants poisonous to cats include: English Ivy, iris, mistletoe, philodendron, and yew.

If a male cat is both orange and black it is ( besides being extremely rare ) sterile. To have both the orange and the black coat colors, the male cat must have all or part of both female X chromosomes. This unusual sex chromosome combination will render the male cat sterile.

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

That last one is interesting........(all of them are for that matter, did not know most of them!!) because I like to tell the story about when I was living in Utah, a MALE calico kitten was born to a shelter mother cat.......well, the vets knew he was rare and he was auctioned off for some BIG bucks to fund the shelter..........it made the local newspapers in fact, that is how I know about this all. I did not realize that male calicos are usually sterile, so there was probably NO need to neuter that male calico in Utah huh?????

The fact that cats with "Morris the cat" markings are almost ALWAYS male and Miss Kitty has a female with these marking makes that baby VERY rare as well.

Interesting stuff..........

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Peachy, we think itty bitty kitty with no name may be partly deaf, or tone deaf. She does not respond when you call her. She perks up at some noises but not all of them.

Then again, she could just be even dumber than Fred is :supergrin:

It isn't a major concern because we plan to keep her in the house where she won't be eaten by dogs or harmed from deafness. We can't decide for sure but we think something is up with her hearing :sad:

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

some things you guys can do Jennifer is when the kitten's back is to you make some noises, you know, noises that are not common and see if her ears twitch and turn toward you........

I know when my 2 are sitting and looking out the window I will sometimes make some noises with my mouth and their ears will slightly turn toward me briefly as if they are tuning in to what I am doing........they don't turn to look at me but their ears turn toward me.

It will tell you if the kitten has a hearing problem. I know WHITE cats are often deaf........I wonder if there is a gene for female "Morris marking" cats having a certain amount of deafness too?? hmmm.......interesting.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Kitty responds to bells in toys being jingled and hearing the front door open but she is oblivious to voices. Then again, she is a cat! We aren't worried because she will be safe in the house and we love her just as she is but we wish she were "normal" but it has had no influence on our decision to keep her :)

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh, she still doesn't have a name. Until she starts responding to words, she won't have one. I call her Pipsqueak and itty bitty kitty. Others here call her Pest, Baby and Sweat Pea but she ignores us all equally :rofl:

7. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

My cat was such a brat as a kitten. I was constantly yelling at her to stop whatever it was she was doing. Now every time I call her name she looks at me like "What??? I wasn't doing anything!!! *cowers*" But if I call her kitty, she'll give a little kitty smile and come over.

Princess the new puppy will respond to her name if you can get her to focus on you. I have taking to calling her s***face cuz she can be an ultra pain at times. What can I say though, I love her:hearts: Damn I wish I could keep this dog :crying:

8. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

:sigh: Must be nice.

9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Miss Kitty,

Do you have any recent pics of IBK? What a cute cat. :hearts:

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

No. I can't track her fast enough to snap any now.

Maybe we ought to name her "the streak" :rofl:

I have been trying to get at least one of her down with all four of Fred's legs wrapped around her and him washing her head but so far, no luck :sad: