Cat Shaving?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Str8shootr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Does anyone here shave their long haired cats?

I am not talking about "shaving" per se, but a nice trim with some human hair clippers. I have a pain I got from my parents and I was thinking of giving Leo a "trim" to get rid of some mats and maybe cool him down for the rest of summer. I could cut maybe 1/2 inch off and don't think he would mind.

Any thoughts?

2. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

sorry about that, meant "pair" not pain.

3. walkin man

walkin man

Put your vest on and get some kevlar gloves and sleeves. Then mayby if you have about 8 hands you might have a chance. :)

Sounds like a good idea though, go for it.

walkin man

4. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I know that's the only way to go with some longhaired cats when their fur gets too matted, but I'm not sure that you'd want to give a crack at that yourself, unless your cat is relatively docile.

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My aunt has a Turkish angora. This cat gets mats all the time. so my aunt get some scissors, sits with Vanilla in her lap, gently pets her, and talks to her while she's trimming her, and Vanilla just thinks she's getting some lovin'. Doesn't suspect she's being clipped. Try that. Personally, my cat was (She died Friday evening. RIP One-eyed Jack.) a shorter haired cat. So I don;t have any personal experience with this kind of stuff.

;g

;8 ;I

6. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Sorry to hear about One Eye Jack, Walter.

I still haven't gotten the courage to attack Leo, but his days are numbered. I have the clippers out on the table now, and he is "investigating". I don't think he will know what hits him. I plan on shearing him a little bit at a time.

7. glockgirl19

glockgirl19

I worked in a vet clinic for over 5 years and saw many cats come through our door that got shaved or the "Lion clip". Most cats do not tolerate clippers without some sort of sedation to calm them down. I presonally would find a vet clinic with a groomer that can sedate the cat to clip him. If you decide to shave your cat and it moves you may end up cutting him pretty badly. Most mats adhere pretty closely to the skin and you can end up cutting the cat unintentionally. So if your cat really needs a shave and it sounds like it does, i would find a groomer to handle it. It will be worth it in the long run.

8. DrJRiddle

DrJRiddle Uffda!

Glockgirl19

Looking at your profile, you must be at the ISUCVM. I graduated there in 2000. Say hi to Drs Merkley, Jergens, and Noxon for me. Oh, and Dr Draper. He's the reason I own my own clinic today.

Doc.

9. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

We had our long hair Russian Blue shaved about five years ago because his hair got matted so bad. He got the 'Lion' cut I guess it's called which leaves the head, the tip of the tail and the feet unshaved and the rest is zipped down to the skin. It worked well. We've had far fewer problems with furballs since the 'event'. He looked like Garfield.

I've never seen a cat look embarrassed before but he did. Wish I'd taken pictures.