close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cat losing fur? Help!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Lynn D, May 16, 2007.

1. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

So, I'll be calling the vet tomorrow, to get this checked out, but thought I'd check with the brain trust here first.

I noticed that Lena had left a large clump of fur on the couch the other day. It looked like there was some large flakes of skin attached. I thought nothing of it.

Tonight, I found what I thought was the site....on her right hip. A patch about 1/2 inch by 1 inch...naked right down to skin. Flakes noted on the border where the fur still exists. Then I found a second "naked" patch about midway up her back. Bare right to skin also.

She's not scratching. She's not grooming more than usual. She's an indoor only kitty. She does not seem to be "suffering" at all in any way. Eating fine, drinking fine, purring fine. All fine.

Thoughts????

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

It can be a number of things, but the first thing that comes to mind is ringworm. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. darkside852003

darkside852003

Sounds like ringworm, I had a rescue cat with it. Sometimes its a pain to treat, seems to pop back up once you think its gone.

4. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

yeah, I would think about some sort of rash first too. On a side note what type of food are you feeding her?

5. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

Mmmm...ringworm seems to be what I can come up with too....I'll be calling vet later as soon as they open. I don't have any symptoms, though. But then again, I also recently treated a patient with it....hmmmm.

Diet? She eats a combination of either Purina Salmon/Tuna, IAMS regular, and Fancy Feast dry. Depending on what I buy. And she's been on these all for quite a while.

Oh, I hope it's not a food allergy.

6. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

If she has been on those foods for a while it is most likely not food alleries. Is she an outdoor cat?

7. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

Spoke with vet's office late this morning. The tech that answered the phone remembered us from a recent visit. She does not think it is ringworm. Here's why.

A few weeks ago, Lena fell off my living room radiator, and was trapped between it and the wall for several hours. Her theory (and it does make sense) is that during that time, Lena suffered some very minor burns, and the hair is just now falling out. Especially since the areas are both on the right side of her body (which was in contact with the radiator) and the fact that they are fairly rectangular in shape.

So, for now, I'm comfortable with just watching. I've saved some of the hair for studies if and when I need them. Thanks all. :cat: