close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cat help please!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by G19Tony, Feb 7, 2006.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Our 3 year old cat Sammy, who was a stray when he came to us, has always pee'd in corners from time to time. Just recently, he has taken to doing alot more and in more places. A couple hours ago, he went on my desk, right in front of me!;P We don't know what to do. Here are his stats:

3 year old fixed Male.

All shot's up to date and in good health.

Both litter boxes cleaned once, usually twice a day.

Clean food and water at all times.

We love our little guy, and don't want to have to get rid of him, but we are nearing the end of our rope.

We also have two female cats. There is no problem with them and all cats get along well.

Any help you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Rub his nose in it or use a squirt bottle or maybe both. I don't know...we have one male, Mittens, who is ten years old and occassionally he gets a wild hair and pees wherever he feels like it too. Most cats absolutely hate being squirted and will do anything to avoid it...at least for a while.

If it continues even after the squirt bottle discipline you might take him to the vet and see if there's a problem, like a urinary tract infection. Maybe he's trying to tell you something ;g Just a thought.

Good luck

3. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

He was just at the vet with a clean bill of health. As for rubbing his nose in it... we mop up the pee with him. He really is a good guy, but man is this frustrating.

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Tony.........

I suspect a urinary tract infection too (UTI)........get him into the vet, and tell the vet that the situation is frustrating you. It could be a behavioral issue too.........talk to the vet about that too.

Cats peeing in places other than their box is one of the biggest reasons why people get rid of them.......

Let us know what you find out. Let's hope it is that.

5. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

The UTI thing is always the first thing you should look for in these instances, or other health problems. These are not the cat's fault, and the most common, and easiest corrected, cause of these things. They can happen anytime, so even if your cat was just at the vet, might want to take him back to look for this in particular.

A lot of things I've read on this subject say that rubbing the cat's nose in it is the worst thing you could do, because it just creates more anxiety for the cat, which in turn makes the problem worse. They don't associate it with punishment like you think they should.

6. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I called our vet and they asked us to bring Sammy in. You all are most likely correct, it's probably a UTI. I'll let you know later.

Thank you for your advice.

Tony

7. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Hope all goes well Tony. The cat I mentioned, Mr. Mittens, had a urinary tract infection when he was younger and responded really well to treatment. The vet did have us change food though. Nothing but IAM's for our cats since then. But no more UTI either.

8. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Sammy came out of the vet fine. We are still waiting on the results of Urine tests and blood work. He had to be sedated. I guess he went a little crazy. The vet gave us some Broad Spectrum Antibiotics. Sammy likes them with a big glob of margarine. ;f I think he will be ok.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Margarine is a special treat for my kitties ;f

Try a dollop of mayo too ;)

How is Sammy today?

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Sammy is fine today, laying around being cute. ;f

The mayo idea sounds like a good one. We'll try it tonight.

Thank you.

11. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I read somewher that mayo is no good for the kitties because it has onion in it. It will make them sick. Check the Stuff I can't eat sticky. I could be wrong.

One time I was making a baloney sandwich, which you absolutely CAN'T eat without mayo;f, One-eyed Jack jumped up on the counter, and started licking the mayo off of the bread I had just spread it on. So I gave her that piece of bread and then she didn't want it! Damn goofy cats! Gotta love em.

;g

;8 ;I

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have been giving Missy mayo for years. I heard that it is a treat that owners give show cats because the oils in it keep their coats nice and shiny. Are you sure mayo has onion in it? My jar don't.....but it has some garlic? Difference in brands?

13. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Maybe it was garlic that's in some of it. I googled it, and couldn't find anything that said you couldn't. It appears I was wrong. But if yours has garlic in it you'll probably want to switch to one without it to give the kitties.

;g

;8 ;I

14. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Jen, I just read the ingredients on my Jar of KRAFT mayonaise, and it says it contains BOTH; Dried onions AND dried garlic.

;g

;8 ;I

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I figure between the three of them combined, they get about a teaspoon a month. Maybe not that much. How much garlic could be in that?

I have been giving it to Missy for aobut 8 years, Fred for almost 4 and Iggy won't touch it ;Q

Do you think there is really enough in it to hurt them? They can't get much at all.......

I hate to take away one of Missy's favorite treats. She is very picky and she loves it so....

16. Redglocker

Redglocker

I had same problem with one of my cats . the vet who specialized in cats only suggested that I buy a large dog kennel cage and when I am not home to kennel the cat up with litter box, blanket, and water inside. which I did for about 6 months. it worked perfectly. good luck with what ever you do.

17. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Well, if it was me personally, I wouldn't want to chance it, which Is why I had stopped giving my cat mayo, but you may be right. I just always gave Jack some tuna for a treat.

;g

;8 ;I

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

They prefer thier tuna with mayo ~rf ~rf ~rf

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Walter,

What I am finding googling says that garlic is now a pretty common ingredient in cat food and treats. It seems that a large amount is required for toxicity.

Peachie!!! You know anything?

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I just checked again, here is the ingredients list for the mayo we buy: Ingredients: Soybean oil, eggs, water, vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, and natural flavors.

Garlic may be in natural flavors..... but isn't listed.