Cat health: Sudden dramatic weight loss.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Grimsi, May 4, 2015.

1. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

One of my cats, a DSH tux spayed female, has recently lost more than half her weight.

I took her to the local vet and found that my cat had hyper-thyroid .

She will have to take anti-thyroid from now on.

(http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/How-To-Give-Your-Cat-A-Pill-Humorous/show/1364044)

The reason I post this is to alert other cat owners to be mindful of sudden weight changes.

The vet said I waited far to long ad my cat may now have kidney problems.

Remember that we animal lovers are caretakers first.

Gregoire G likes this.
  2. Glockwork Orange

Glockwork Orange

Amen brother! Thanks for actually taking her to the vet and following through with the treatment...my oldest, a 17 year old siamese male suddenly lost alot of weight and was diagnosed with diabetes last week...I lost his brother over a year ago to FIP...now gets an insulin shot twice a day...he would pis like a race horse which was good...his body was flushing excess sugars...vet said recent studies have shown indoor cats get too many carbs and not enough protein so they are developing problems when they get older...suggested switching to one of the newer hi protein designer dry foods like science diet or iams...boil or grill a plain chicken breast and give to him throughout next few days....there is also a protein paste in a tube (petcock, petsmart) that you can add to their. food...tastes like chicken....

All this on top of the other three I have plus the pack o strays n kittens living outside that I help until I relocate them!

Keep us updated!

3. Koba

Koba

Old cats get one of three things, hyper thyroid, diabetes or kidney failure. Any weight loss def needs looked at

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

[​IMG]sorry, wrong thread exploring updated software

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  5. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

Our 12 year old cat went from 12 to 9 pounds pretty quickly in the last few months. We took her to the vet and he put her on Clavamox because there was a suspicion of a UTI due to out of box peeing. After I read your post we took her back and had bloodwork done. She indeed is borderline hyperthyroid and we started meds on her yesterday. They put her on methimazole. We are hopeful she will gain some weight back. Thanks to your post we are getting her proper treatment. Thanks!