close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cat declawing - laser procedure

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Catbird, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

We have a 4 month old female kitten that will be strictly an indoor cat. In about 2 or 3 more months, I plan to have her spayed and declawed (front only). I recently found out that some vets can now use a laser for the declawing procedure. This sounds less traumatic for the animal...does anyone have any information that they can share on laser declawing?

Not that it really matters, but the laser procedure is about $55 more expensive than the traditional method.

2. blasto

blasto 7 of 9 (lives)

You could use Soft Paw claw caps instead of declawing.

Just a thought.

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I was reading online about those a little while ago. My cat/kitten would NEVER allow me to put those on!

4. blasto

blasto 7 of 9 (lives)

That's what I thought too with my girl. But it is possible. =)

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

wanna bet?? My 3 month old kitten fought me (I put him in a mesh laundry bag and stuck his arms out to apply the soft claws) bad when I put them on, but he doesn't even pay attention to the fact he has them on now. Kittens adapt better to them than full grown cats, but my 2 year old siamese wears them too......he leaves them on, but will occationally pull one off. I put the bigger cat int he mesh bag too to apply his nail caps, works really well.

For the first 30 or so minutes your kitten will shake it's paws trying to get the caps off.....and he/she may try and pull them off too for a bit, I just played with him that first 30-45 minutes after I applied them and he soon forgot he had them on. Now my kitten now like I said is oblivious that he even has them on.......

I ordered SMALL red ones for him......my other cat Max is 11 pounds and wears LARGE......

www.SoftClaws.com

6. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

7. tony4311

tony4311

don't do it.
    read me

then me

EDIT: this links better then those two.

Picture of whats cut off from the second link. I tried to find a better picture but I couldn't. Reason being is this one doesn't show the tendons that are cut also.
    [​IMG]

Random cute picture found while searching google for those articles.

[​IMG]

8. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Sorry for being a cold hearted B***ard, but I wish I never would have listened to a vet some fifteen or sixteen years ago.

I've tried every technique imaginable, including professional "claw use" training. (at a greater expense than declawing) I've tried soft claws, much to my disfigurement. The cat has destroyed more recliners and furniture than you can shake a declawed cat at.

I submit, if you are concerned about having your cat declawed because of "indoor use only", do it. It is a very adaptable critter, and will not even know the difference a month or so after it's done.

I have wanted to buy new furniture for several years now, and refuse to do it because a pro can't even teach the animal to keep his paws to himself.

Now, fire away at this inhumane guy. I don't care.

9. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Thanks, Bogey1155 and everyone. I wanted to hear both sides of the issue. I particularly wanted some information/discussion about the laser procedure vs. conventional surgery.

I've had cats (my favorite pet) all of my looooong life. I never had any declawed until 5 years ago when we had my daughter's kitten (cat, now) done. We are all glad we did it. The only pressing declawing question is HOW not IF.

FWIW, I don't consider spaying or neutering cruel, either.

Observation:
    Some owners cut puppy tails or clip puppy ears, etc. and that isn't considered cruel by many people. (interesting)

10. tony4311

tony4311

I think part of the reason think that it's not cruel to the dogs is that many don't realize the short tails and ears are cut/cropped to be that way.

11. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I haven't heard anything about a laser procedure, I bet it's easier on a cat than the traditional procedure. I didn't know how they did it, and took my cat for front de-clawing. She doesn't even have her thumbs anymore, I swore I will never de-claw another cat. If I ever get another cat, I will have to look into this laser procedure.

12. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

The "Soft Claws" are working well with the 2 cats I have now as I said earlier......the kitten still has all of his on now for almost a week, he does not try and pull or chew them off. I am glad!!

BUT.....can anyone post what this laser procedure is and if it is less painful and what exactly is done, and how it is done...??? I guess I don't understand it......

Good links to read?? please post!!

13. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

If one checks with breeders of pure-bred Cats almost to a person the will consider de-clawing to be Barbaric. None I know of will let you buy a cat or kitten from them if you are going to have this done.

While the 5 Cats I have occasionally go after the upolstery there is little or no damage as they get their claws trimmed weekly. They have many large scratcing posts as in Tony's post photo to tear the crap out of.
    IMO, if one has to have a cat declawed they'd be better off with a dog.

14. tony4311

tony4311

found a few
    http://valleyanimalhospital.com/laser_procedures.htm
    http://www.pethealthcenter.org/showpracfaq.cfm?FAQID=31&Private=0
    http://www.adobepet.com/library/declaw.htm

15. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥