close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Casual Carry"

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DeltaNu1142, Mar 2, 2010.

1. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I post this thread eager to hear opinions. I may get flamed for using the term "casual carry," but it seems to describe my situation, which probably isn't that unique.

I had a G26 which I sold to buy a G27. I purchased each with the intention of carrying, but I don't have an adequate holster yet, so each one was relegated to night stand duty. I just ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck, which, based on reviews on GT and talking with the manufacturer, seems like it'll fit my needs.

I can not carry in my office. I often go to bars & restaurants. So I've got a number of places that I can't carry, even once I'm equipped to do so.

Carrying for me will involve lots of transfers from holster to glove box/trunk (valet), leaving me wearing an empty holster... I've considered getting a cheap-o Mike's holster for semi-permanent concealed installation in the car for driving/parking time...

So what are my options--stop drinking? Get a new job? I guess I'd like to hear from people in similar situations, who carry whenever possible, even if that's less than 50% of the time.

2. The Wire Source

The Wire Source

I feel ya there. I don't drink too often, mostly Friday nights which is date night for my girlfriend and I. I leave my gun at home of course. I am a full time student, so I don't carry on those days of the week I head to campus. I find myself carrying when I head downtown, days after my classes are done by noon or something, and whenever I go someplace where I am unfamiliar of territory or neighborhoods of friends I don't feel safe at. It's prolly 50% of the time at best. I enjoy knowing I can carry and feel safer when I do, even if I don't carry all the time. And I certainly feel better knowing the gun is next to me at night.

3. chrisw

chrisw

I can't carry at work as I work at airports. After carrying smaller and smaller firearms due to the size and weight factor, I now carry a kel-tec pf9 due to its slim 12 ounce weight. I carry in a kydex hoster that is very quick to take off and put back on. This is so the gun stays in a holster that protects the trigger when I take it off. I would recommend a holster that you can quickly remove and put on for your purpose. Don't quit your job or change your lifestyle(unless it is unhealthy of course) just have something that is easy and quick to take off/put on. This will protect you from handling the gun too often ie on a daily basis.

4. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

I feel for you. I'm not sure what advice to offer.

I live in Communist NY, and I carry my G23 every single day, IWB in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster. We can legally carry in Bars and Restaurants here, as long as we aren't consuming alchohol. I've had a conversation with my boss, and I'm permitted to carry my handgun concealed at work, however if a customer building is posted, then I must leave it in the truck.

Your idea for a permanant concealed holster in the car, unfortunately could cause you some problems. It would be better to purchase some kind of auto vault to lock the gun in when you are not in the vehicle. The issue I see with that is the same that I face in my truck. I don't have a locking glove box, and if I'm going to install something that will secure the gun in the truck, it must be bolted to the floor of the truck, and the only way to transfer the weapon from my holster to the vault would almost certainly involve exiting the vehicle, and doing it in front of God and everybody.

5. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I love my job and my drink, so quitting those aren't options I'll accept. :supergrin:

Good input on the holster. The Supertuck doesn't seem to be something I can quickly remove--does anyone have experience with having to put on & take off the Supertuck continuously?

Agreed. My goals for a car holster, in order of priority, would be:

• accessible when needed
    • completely concealed
    • secure from theft
    I have a low, 2-door car, and under the driver's seat is where I had envisioned installing "something". I don't intend to leave my weapon in the car unattended unless I'm entering a place I can't carry (as you mentioned above).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  6. farley45

farley45

Carry everywhere you can.

If you can't, then don't

But, remember that when you are unarmed that does not mean you are defenseless. Situational awareness and trusting your gut instincts will go a long way. The best way to not encouner a bad situation is to avoid one, the firearm is for when all else fails.

Minimize your risk, and decide what you want to do. I wouldn't suggest just staying at home like a stick in the mud all the time just because you cannot carry somewhere. There are places where people either want to or have to go to everyday where they cannot carry.

I cannot carry at my university, but that does not stop me from getting an education. If you like your job, not being able to carry should not stop you from doing it.

Be safe, and carry whenever possible.

7. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Agreed. I want to better understand how I can fit my carry habits to fit my lifestyle, not the other way around.

8. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I work at a school, so cannot carry (none in vehicle either) during the workday.

I usually carry everywhere in the evenings and weekends.

Sometimes, when attending social gatherings, I do not carry (gotta get a pocket gun) for fear of over friendly hugs that I receive from female friends.

Carry when you can. stay alert. our actual concealed carry weapons are just one part of an overall mindset that can help keep us alive.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

First- carry where you feel like, where it's legal. It's not like you're statistically likely to need it. But you won't have time to go get it if there's an imminent threat to your life, so keep that in mind.

Second- a glovebox, armrest, or trunk is not a suitable place to store an unattended gun unless supplemental security, such as a lockbox or thick cable lock is employed.

Third- Don't feel too unique. I think most folks that get a permit to drive (driver's license) get one with the intention of using it everyday. Most folks that get a permit to carry a handgun get it because they might want to use it one day. If you only looked at glocktalk, you'd think that most folks carry iwb, most folks with permits carry everywhere, and that most ccw'ers were as knowledgeable as the police regarding law, training, and law enforcement procedure. None of the three is normally the case in real life. Do what makes you happy. That's why you got the permit, right?

10. FAS1

FAS1

I carry a G26 in a Supertuck and when I need to keep it in my vehicle it's locked and pretty secure. With some practice you can remove the holster pretty easily if you need to. Most of the time I just remove the gun and place in my container mounted to the floor. You can mount this box horizontally under your seat if there is enough room in your truck. Also have seen customers mount inside their console if it's large enough like the Nissan Titan. In my Explorer it's behind the center console where I can reach it from the drivers seat.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156669

Attached Files:

11. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

Funny--that's pretty much exactly my perception. It appears in reading GT that everyone with a CWP is armed 24/7, and I just couldn't get away with that. P.S., with my slim build, IWB feels like my best option. I don't know how I would go about OWB concealed...

Good to know!

12. xICEMANx

xICEMANx

Im sort of in the same boat. Really the only place I can't carry is work. I want a holster that can be easily removed while at work, and easily put on when I get back into my car. This would require something with a clip of some sort. I've been looking at the blade tech nano, RM lowrider, Raven phantom, Don Hume IWB etc. I just finished taking my class and am turning in my app this week. My first purchase will be a good gun belt.

13. pens-66

pens-66

Get yourself a Comp-Tac Infidel. Very easy to remove and put back on. I can't carry at work so I take off an put on a few times a day. IMO the Infidel is absolutely perfect for that :wavey:

14. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

15. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

i would suggest, if you would like to be able to carry in bars and restaurants, getting politically involved and trying to get FL law barring such carry repealed.

in the meantime, though, if i were stuck in your position, i would probably install a small gun safe in my vehicle and use a holster that can be removed without taking off your belt but is still secure when worn (like a c-tac or any of a number of other IWB holsters). when going somewhere i could not legally carry, i would remove the holster and gun together and place it in the safe.

i would really not like doing this as i would be worried about the entire vehicle being stolen. but, given the laws you face, your only other choice seems to be to not carry at all when you might go to a restaurant or bar...and that seems like an inferior choice to me.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  16. nky1129

nky1129

Agreed. The situational awareness and individual responsibility that embracing the CCW lifestyle has given me are equally important (IMHO) as actually having my gun on my person. Of course, it might be easy for me to say that, given that I'm allowed to carry at work and at the majority of my friend's homes. I also live in Kentucky, where carrying just about everywhere is more of a reality than in other states.

17. xICEMANx

xICEMANx

It looks alot like the blade tech nano but gives the option of belt loops or clip. Which do you use?

18. pens-66

pens-66

I like the single clip the best. For me that one is the easiest set up for sure. It holds nice and snug and stays put. I had a Bladetech and just prefer the Infidel.

19. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I have a G-19 hip side every day regardless of the length of trip away from home as long as the law allows. When i get to a no-firearm zone (school , Fed building, bar etc...) it goes in to one of these from Cabela's. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&parentId=cat20772&id=0045006
    It fits under the seat well and cables to the frame easily. It takes literally 20 seconds to pull the box from under the seat, put your gun in, lock it up and slide it away. Just wear your holster when you go into the no -zone and slip the gun back in when you return.If someone wants your gun they will certainly have to work for it. I am enjoying the winter months as concealing isn't an issue but you will have to change your dress style for the warmer months in order to carry. Don't let the thought of having to constantly remove the gun from your hip to store it while going in the no-zone turn you away from carrying. Its well worth the hassle if the time were to ever come where you needed it. With my job not allowing CCW and the numerous times a week i go to some school event for my son, i would have to say i remove my gun at least 3-4 times daily.

20. xICEMANx

xICEMANx

thanks I think Ill give it a go.