Casting out demons

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by jwagess, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jwagess

jwagess

Please forgive my ignorance. In the New Testament Jesus casts out demons, and gives authority to his disciples to do the same.
    Now the Roman Catholic church performs exorcisms, but I do not know of any Protestant churches that do so. Can someone tell me why?

2. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Because there really are no demons any more than there are monsters in your closet?

Nor Gods, Nor Devils?

3. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

http://www.equip.org/
    This is a good resource for this type of question. This organization is the Christian Research Institute. It’s a non-denominational Christian organization.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. Tommy Hanrahan

Tommy Hanrahan

That says it all. Forgiven.

5. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

It is still done. I never understood the Catholic rites that go with it. Scripture is pretty clear on the right ways and wrong ways of going about it, and the various methods.

It is not some grand mystery, engaging in spiritual warfare. I am not here to brag, but by Jesus' authority I have cast out demons.

I really don't understand all the drama associated with it. Hollywood I suppose.

6. Kingarthurhk

They're there. They tempt humans, mislead humans, make them bitter and turn against God. That was the whole plan from the beginning, that is how 1/3 of the Angels were deceieved and then cast down to earth as "demons". Demons are nothing more than fallen angels.

Please stop listening to them.

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Is there any point to asking for objective, independent evidence for the existence of these demons? Do you also spend time worrying about the actions of Frost Giants?

8. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

peeps doing an exorcism

[​IMG]

9. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

I don't know of any Protestant churches as such that perform these kind of rituals but there are many Evangelical churches that do.

In spite of Hollywood the Roman Catholic version of exorcism is rarely practiced.

10. Kingarthurhk

I knew a guy who had a similar attitude. He thought it was all a joke. A friend and I in college went to get rid of one that hung around the University library back in the day. It's main purpose in life was make people feel discouraged and depressed and potentially suicidal. At least it hoped.

It was one of those situations where in scripture it required prayer to remove it.

We all three went there in that isolated alcove in the morning. My friend and I sat praying silently. The skeptical friend sat there with a silly grin on his face, he was laughing the entire time before we started.

Well, let's just say that this particular demon liked it's spot. I guess a place of stress and studying for midterms and finals was like shooting fish in a barrel for it dpressing people.

It was pretty angry about the concept of being rousted. It tashed out at me, but I was covered by Jesus Christ, who I was praying to. It moved on to my friend, the same thing. He was covered by Jesus Christ, whom he was praying to.

It moved on to our mocking, skeptical friend. He left that place in unconsolable tears. It took us an hour to get him to calm down and stop shaking and crying.

He never again doubted.

Now, will you ever have that experience? I doubt it. Our particularly skeptic friend was in the wrong place at the right time. It did change his life for the positive, however, He is now a Christian, and does not doubt.

I knew another agnostic/atheist. He was an odd duck from Roswell (A lot of folks from Roswell are), he used to wear sweat pants continually and went barefoot anywhere he could.

He was hoping for an "experience". As revealed in the Gospels with one particular demoniac that broke his chains, graveyards are a favorite "haunt" for demons.

He said there was a grave in one of the oldest graveyards in the area that had a witches grave by rumor and tradition, and if you went out there at a certain time there would be some activity.

I told him there were no such things as ghosts, and filled him in on what exactly fallen angels did to impersonate people and appear as "ghosts". The witch of Endor raising Samuel in the Old Testament is a good example of that.

Further, I said, you can go there all you want, but nothing will happen.

He asked me why nothing would happen. I told him simply that why would demons waste their time manifesting to a person who does not believe in God? They already have what they want, why would they ruin it?

11. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

So demons are real, but ghosts are a fantasy? You offered two stories, but I can go turn on my TV and find at least that many shows about ghosts being real and people hunting for them. In your first story, the demon "attacks" the non-believer. In the second, you tell your friend demons won't bother him because he already doesn't believe. You can't even describe demonic behavior consistently across two stories.

I also can't help but notice you didn't actually answer either of the questions I asked.

12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

The power of Peep compels you!

:rofl:

13. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

It would seem to me that demons, if they were real, would derive more enjoyment in torturing believers than they would non-believers.

14. Kingarthurhk

Typically. Why bother with something you've already gained the victory over?

15. packsaddle

packsaddle

:thumbsup:

16. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape CLM

OMG, that's hilarious. I've seen The Exorcist a 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it -- director's cut of course, wouldn't want to miss the spider walk.

-ArtificialGrape