Glock Talk banner

Casting Hollow Points?

453 8
I was thinking of getting another mold for my 45ACPs. Something that lighter that would help stretch the lead over a few more rounds per pound.

I found a single cavity 180gr hollow point mold. Figure it must come with some rod to stick in the bottom to form the hollow point on the bullet tip. I know one bullet at a time is slow, but I enjoy the task and ain't looking to feed an army with my bullets.

Anybody ever used one to make hollow points? Any tips on how to use them and how well they work?

Wood Camera accessory Rectangle Font Leather
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,176 Posts
You are missing a pin. I cast a lot of hollow points bullets. I use NOE and MP molds. The MP molds come with a selection of pins. From flat, small, deep and penta five sides.

For even lead hollow points you need to get the velocity up to close to 1000 fps to work. Not a 45 ACP strong point. I just go with 200 grain SWC . I have been thinking of finding a 200 grain to 230 hollow point mold. Also can be used in 45 Colt.

· Registered
39,893 Posts
I have a bunch of hp molds. Some single pin & a couple with auto pins from Erik @ HPBMS.
The mold you show looks like a Lyman Devastator mold. Mine throws a bullet closer to 200gr & expands quite nicely down to 850fps if cast soft with 25-1 lead/tin. The trick with hp molds is to cast hot so the pins stay hot.
If just trying to save lead, buy a decent 185gr mold & just forget the hp.
Bullet Design Catalog | Accurate Molds

Reactions: FullClip

· NRA Life Member
6,811 Posts
I bought this mold years ago and now can't remember who made it. I have the box around somewhere but until I find it...

This was a modified Lee .358 158gr GC design. They cut the mold to fit a pair of hollow pointing pins, and it works great. I cast up a bunch using a mix of about 1:20 tin/lead and loaded them over 15gr 2400.

· Registered
39,893 Posts
This is big. If the mold isn’t sufficiently hot it won’t fill out and you’ll get wonky noses and messed up meplats. Be sure the mold is good and hot, including the pins. A hot plate makes it 10x easier
I also cast at a hotter alloy temp with HP. It helps keep the pin hot. With single pins like the Lyman, preheating the pin in the alloy is better than using a hot plate. Just stick it in the top of the pot for a few seconds & then start casting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts