Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same weight bullet while increasing usable case capacity.
Are there fundamental reasons why this shouldn't be done or wouldn't work? I am not a caster at this point, which may be apparent from the question posed

·
Registered
21,888 Posts
As I recall, Hevi-shot contains tungsten, nickle, iron among other alloys. I don't think it would make a good casting material. The tungsten is, I think a powder mixed in with molten iron an the other alloys. Given iron's melting point, around 2800 degrees compared to lead alloys that melt around 630 or so degrees, it is a process that few can do without special equipment let alone in a home garage.

·
Registered
37,575 Posts
Hevi-shot is non lead, likely bismuth. Even if you get it to cast, bullets will be lighter than lead alloy. Bizmuth is heavier than steel shot but meets the non lead requirements for water fowl hunting.

Reactions: TheSlowLane

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Osmium would be great for this as it’s twice as dense as lead.

It would have its own casting problems to solve though as it’s melting temperature is about 4869.57 degrees F hotter than lead.

Gold is another choice at 19.3 g/cc, lead is 11.4 g/cc and a few thousand degrees lower melting point.

·
Native Mainiac
27,574 Posts
As I recall, Hevi-shot contains tungsten, nickle, iron among other alloys. I don't think it would make a good casting material. The tungsten is, I think a powder mixed in with molten iron an the other alloys. Given iron's melting point, around 2800 degrees compared to lead alloys that melt around 630 or so degrees, it is a process that few can do without special equipment let alone in a home garage.
Yup...don't think my RCBS molds could handle that temperture.

But I did score a whole bunch of depleted uranium...melts around 2070 F.

·
Registered
21,888 Posts
Hevi-shot is non lead, likely bismuth. Even if you get it to cast, bullets will be lighter than lead alloy. Bizmuth is heavier than steel shot but meets the non lead requirements for water fowl hunting.
Bismuth is different than Hevi-shot, however, I see that Hevi-shot is now carrying its own brand of bismuth. Bismuth is an alternative to lead shot but it used to be brittle. The stress, if you will, of the round going off would shatter the bismuth. Special buffers were used to offset this problem and I don't know if they overcame this.

Reactions: FullClip
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.