close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by MrsKitty, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am working with a large Hispanic population right now. Yesterday I was explaining to them the value of an old perfectly seasoned cast iron frying pan. When I told them that is is a killing offense in the South to wash one I recieved blank unbelieving stares. They were fascinated :)

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I have three... When I'm done cooking with em', I soak in hot water without soap,
    simply scraping off any cooked-on burnt bits...

Then I dry it with a clean-dry dish towel, spray it with cooking spray, rub it in,
    then rub off the excess with a clean paper towel in circular, clockwise motions...

Shiny and ready for the next go...
    They're pretty black and slick...

I love them, but I need to use them more...
    Thanks for reminding me...

:beer:

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Having a late supper here. I just stuck two in the oven with cornbread. I made too much for one pan. It will be eat so no biggie.

We just wipe with a towel after using as nothing sticks. Of course, they are older than I am. One of ours is over 100 years old :)

4. noway

noway

Will I clean mine by running hot water thru them and drying. Since I cook with oil 9 out of 10 times, I don't have the risk of a re-seasoning.

I'm getting ready to buy a 9qt iron dutchpot by "lodge" for about $50.00

one they for cast iron is they don't wear out. One of my favorite aunt has some hanging off her back porch room and I was cooking with them until she told me it was her mother-inlaw and they where about close to 80years old :shocked:

She had no problem with me using them but I couldn't ;)

5. Mild Bill

Ooooooooooooooo......

:beer:

6. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I have seen too many articles about the non-stick, teflon pans making people sick and such. We now use cast iron fry pans. Love them.

7. major

major Rejected member

Nothing better than cornbread cooked in a well-seasoned iron skillet.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I put the butter in the preheated pan pour in the batter then into the preheated oven.

If something needs to be scrubbed after soaking I pour in about 1/4 cup of salt and scrub with a paper towel then rinse.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Yup, melt the crisco and a tad of bacon grease if you got it or fry out fatback in the pan to preheat it. Add it to the batter then the batter to the pan. Bake.

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

if you are using crisco I hope it is from the green can(no trans fat)

11. Mild Bill

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Wally World brand. No idea...

The only time we use crisco is for cornbread and the rare green tomato I fry. The rest of the time we use olive oil.

Now I am all paranoid!

13. W Turner

W Turner

When my grandmother passed all I wanted from her house was her cast iron skillet, dutch oven and cornbread stick pan. My dad was just going to give it all to goodwill. That cast iron pan is so well seasoned that the bottom is completely slick.

Bull

14. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Both of my comals and all six of my tortilladoras are cast iron and all are made in Mexico.

www.tortillacocina.com

15. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I read a post years ago by a guy who came home to find that his girlfriend had spent all day SCRUBBING his cast iron with Brillo pads and harsh chemicals - so that his pans shined. :shocked: (or as close to it as cast iron can get) He said she looked so proud of herself, she though he was some hapless bachelor who simply did not know how to keep his pans clean. He was kind to her and explained that his pans are SUPPOSED to be black... as he put it, he had to throw that fish back into the sea.

I admired his poise, would not have been able to maintain my cool.

I have more than 50 pieces of cast iron... here are a few...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

You got any more pics of that stove? Wood burning? :)

BTW, that cordless phone with caller ID is so out of place in that log walled kitchen :supergrin:

17. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Yes that is an old wood cookstove! I cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal for 7 people on/in that stove.

Yes I am ashamed of the modern conveniences I have such as the phones! But believe me we don't have many modern conveniences. My wife is lucky to have a microwave. I refused to have a microwave for a long time. Then when I had some family visiting, my sister brought her own microwave. I started to protest, and my brother-in-law warned me "Iif i were you I would not mess with the pregnant lady" knowing my sister, and the way he said it I figured she might hit me with one of my pans if I gave her grief about the microwave. Okay I figured, it is only a few days... but when they left however, she left the microwave behind. It did not take long before I was using the damn thing! See! I comprimized a little bit and I was corrupted! :frown: A couple of years a later a curmudgeon neighbor gave me grief for having a microwave in my rustic log cabin - I was so ticked off that microwave almost went flying down the stairs to the basement... my wife could see it in my eyes, and she said she was ready to kill our neighbor as he was about to cause her to no longer have a microwave! lol

[​IMG]

18. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

That stove is beautiful!

We were in a kitchen appliance store a couple years back. They had replica's of that era stove. You could order either gas or electric and pick from a ton of colors. For about $14K :shocked:

I can't remember where, but I can remember seeing a stove similiar to that in somebody's house at some time...

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I could live without a microwave but they sure are handy for popcorn and boiling just a cup of water for tea.

20. keeper85

keeper85

Unless it is fried chicken. My Grandmother, God rest her soul,
    use to make the best fried chicken in a large cast iron skillet.
    What I would not give for a plate of her chicken now.