close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cast Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 8, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Going to give this a try next week or maby this weekend.

[​IMG]

for this recipe, you will need an 11 or 12-inch well seasoned, cast iron skillet
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
    • 1 (15 & 1/2 ounce) can sliced pineapple rings, undrained
    • 1 box pineapple-flavored cake mix (I recommend Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix)
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice (from canned pineapple rings)
    • 3 eggs, separated
    • 1/3 cup canola (or vegetable oil)
    • 6-8 maraschino cherries
    Melt butter in an 11 or 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar and pecans; stir well. Reserving 1/3 cup juice, drain canned pineapple rings and set juice aside. Arrange pineapple rings in a single layer over the brown sugar pecan mixture. Set skillet aside.
    Empty 1 package of pineapple-flavored cake mix into a large bowl. Add 1 cup water, 1/3 cup (reserved) pineapple juice, 1/3 cup canola oil and 3 eggs yolks into the cake mix and beat according to directions on package. In a separate bowl, beat remaining 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour (or spoon) batter evenly over pineapple base already in skillet. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until cake is lightly browned and set in the center. Remove cake from oven and let rest in skillet for about 30 minutes. When time has elapsed, run a knife around the outer edge of the cake to loosen from skillet, then invert cake onto a serving plate. Place drained maraschino cherries in centers of pineapple rings.

Note – If any of the brown sugar pecan mixture should remain in the bottom of the cast iron skillet after inverting, simply spoon it back onto the cake and spread gently.

2. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Yoda
    Do, don't do, but do not try.

BTW, that sounds good.

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I thought it looked good too!

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Someone in my office requests this for their birthday cake every year. It's pretty good.

5. shavedape

shavedape

Pineapple upside-down cake in a cast iron skillet = yes. Made with a boxed cake mix = no. Really House, must you offend my purist sensibilities this early in the morning?

6. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

thats how i roll

7. shavedape

shavedape

How common. Next you'll tell me you eat "canned" pasta. Heaven forfend!

8. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

"Sometimes"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I agree. I've been wanting to try out this:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005

Serves:
    6 to 8 servings.

Ingredients:

•1/2 ripe medium pineapple, peeled, cored, eyes removed and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (about 4 or 5 slices) (I'm gonna use canned)
    •3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
    •3/4 cup light brown sugar
    •14 pecan halves
    •1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
    •1 cup all-purpose flour
    •1 teaspoon baking powder
    •1 teaspoon baking soda
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •1 cup granulated sugar
    •2 eggs
    •1 cup buttermilk
    •1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    •1 tablespoon dark rum
    •4 fresh cherries, halved and pits removed (will probably use maraschino cherries here)

Directions

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium high and cook until the sugar mixture is bubbly, about 2 minutes. Arrange pineapple slices in the skillet in a pleasing pattern and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until the sugar mixture turns an amber color. Turn the pineapple slices over and remove the pan from the heat. (The mixture will continue to cook even though the heat is off.) Arrange the pecan halves in the spaces between the rings. Set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the remaining 1/2 cup butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches, mixing at low speed after each addition until just combined. Stir in the vanilla and rum.

Spoon the batter evenly over the pineapple slices in the skillet. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown and a tester comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool the cake in the skillet on a wire rack for 4 minutes only. Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake and, wearing oven mitts and working quickly, invert the cake onto a cake plate, keeping plate and skillet firmly pressed together. Carefully lift the skillet off cake and replace any fruit stuck to the bottom of the skillet, if necessary. Arrange the fresh cherry halves, cut side down, into the top of the cake, in the center of the pineapple rings.

Serve cake warm or at room temperature.

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

sounds great, may try this instead!

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Baking cakes from scratch is not rocket science and the results are far superior to boxed mixes. It is science though so be sure to measure accurately and follow procedure. I've never had one come out so bad that we couldn't eat it although sometimes the texture isn't exactly perfect. Good luck.

12. shavedape

shavedape

Here ya go. Rose Levy Beranbaum is the best when it comes to making cakes. This was the first recipe I ever made in my 10" cast iron skillet.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients:

Topping:
    12 pineapple slices, packed in unsweetened pineapple juice
    12 maraschino cherries
    ¼ cup unsalted butter
    2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice

¼ cup pecan halves

Tip: You may use fewer pineapple slices and cherries if you prefer, and depending on the size of your pan. I used 12 pineapple slices for this cake, 7 for the top and 5 cut in halves to ring the outer edge. A 20-ounce can normally contain 10 pineapple slices.

Batter:
    1½ cups sifted cake flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup milk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs

Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a 10 inch cast iron skillet. You can substitute any heavy 10 inch ovenproof skillet with an ovenproof handle, or a 9 inch or 10 inch round or square cake pan, or a 10 inch springform pan with the outside wrapped in heavy duty foil to prevent leakage.

Topping:
    Drain the pineapple slices and cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice. Place the pineapple and cherries on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. You will need 7 whole pineapple slices and 7 whole cherries. Slice the remaining pineapple slices and cherries in halves.

In the skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Use a pastry brush to spread a little of the melted butter around the insides of the skillet to help prevent the fruit from sticking after it is baked. When the butter is completely melted, stir in the brown sugar and pineapple juice until thoroughly combined; remove from heat.

Tip: if you are using a cake pan or springform pan in place of a skillet, then use a small heavy saucepan to melt the butter, stir in the brown sugar and pineapple juice until thoroughly combined, then pour the mixture into the cake pan.

Place one whole pineapple slice on top of the brown sugar mixture in the center of the skillet, and six whole slices surrounding it. Place a whole cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Place the half slices of pineapple side by side against the sides of the skillet with the cut edges down in the brown sugar mixture. Place a half cherry in the center of each half slice of pineapple. Tuck the pecans, rounded side down, into any gaps between the pineapple slices. Set aside.

Batter:
    In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk together to mix. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir the milk and vanilla together. Set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Tip: To cream, start by placing the butter in the bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed begin by beating the butter about 1 minute until it is smooth and light in color. If creaming by hand with a wooden spoon, use the backside of the spoon and move your arm in a circular motion to spread the butter over the bottom and up the side of the bowl. Move your arm quickly to beat or “whip” the butter.

With the mixer still on medium speed, slowly add the sugar to the butter, either one tablespoon at a time, or in a very slow steady stream, taking from 3 to 5 minutes to add all of the sugar, and beating until the butter and sugar are fully incorporated and the mixture is a light, or pale yellow color, with a fluffy texture. While adding the sugar, stop the mixer occasionally to scrape the mixture off the paddle and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly.

Add eggs one at a time, beating until thoroughly mixed.

Tip: For each egg, crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk with a fork to thoroughly break up the egg before adding to the creamed mixture. Start with the mixer on low speed so the liquid from the egg doesn’t splatter, once the egg is partially mixed increase the speed to medium. Each egg should be fully incorporated into the mixture before adding the next egg, taking about one minute to blend in.

With the mixer on low speed, add about one third of the flour mixture, mix just until the flour is almost completely blended. Scrape the bowl down, and add about one half of the milk mixture, blending just until mixed. Scrape the bowl down again and continue alternating with the flour mixture and milk mixture, ending with the last portion of the flour, and stirring just until blended.

Pour batter over the fruit in the skillet; use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly and smooth out the top.

Bake:
    Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown on top and a long toothpick, wooden skewer, or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the skillet from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack to cool for 5 minutes.

Upside Down:
    Run a thin kitchen knife around the edge of the skillet to loosen the sides. Invert the skillet onto a serving plate. Leave the skillet in place one or two minutes before lifting to let the syrup drip down onto the cake. Carefully lift the skillet off of the cake. If any fruit has stuck to the skillet, remove and place it back on the cake.

Serving Suggestion:
    This cake is best when served still warm, along with a dollop of whipped cream.

Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Source:
    Beranbaum, Rose Levy, The Cake Bible, William Morrow and Company Inc., New York, 1988,

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

The Cake Bible is an awesome reference. I had not realized there is a pineapple upside down cake recipe in it but there it is on pgs. 92-93. I guess I will have to make both and see which one I like better.

14. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

15. shavedape

shavedape

Rose is great! She's actually a food scientist. "The Cake Bible" is amazing! I've had really good success by following her directions.

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

hey guys, the cake was awesome!

Best ive had so far!

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

That's great! So, which one did you make? Rose's or Emeril's?

18. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

the one that I posted with rum added (box mix). :embarassed:

19. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

LOL, ok, but you really should try one from scratch next time or sometime at least.

20. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

i will, i promise!!