close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cast boolit sizing press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BK63, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BK63

BK63

Sorry but I am infected beyond recovery with this casting my own boolits thing and have been reading about it non stop. Just wondering what recommendations are out there for a press to size the bullets? I see some simple ones and others that also size and lubricate at the same time. What would you recommend? Thanks.

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Magma Star.

Mine just came yesterday. If you are going to be shooting a lot of pistol with cast bullets your eventually going to own one. My thought was why not just buy it first. I waited 4 weeks for mine.

3. BK63

BK63

It looks like is has a bunch of accessories you can order for it. What else did you get? Please elaborate :supergrin:

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I got the sizer and the die. I got a Lyman Heater from Midway USA. You only need a heater if you are using hard lube.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

The Star is, well, the star. I want one before I die.

6. Gokyo

Gokyo

Star is consiodered ther best.

Saeco is second best.

7. Beware Owner

Could you say what makes Saeco second best, please? Stars are super expensive right now.

8. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

How much is "super expensive"??? They're not exactly giving RCBS or Lyman sizers away anymore.

9. Beware Owner

$250 vs $165 RCBS and $135 Lyman.

10. hoffy

hoffy

but I own an RCBS I got 30 years ago, and a few years after that, I got as a package deal with a bunch of stuff really cheap, a SAECO, made well before Redding got them. The Redding/SAECO really is better than Lyman or RCBS, but the Stars are the best, the bullets come out the bottom, so no pulling up on the handle every time. A little fussier to set up, but I want one some day:whistling:. BTW, I have a Star Universal Progressive Reloader(Mike Dillion got his start modifying them to take standard size dies-7/8-14, and other things-the latest result is the super 1050) and man was the Star stuff well made.They got their start for reloading for Thompsons and police departments well before WWII. When the old guy that made them died,(his main business was sprinkler systems I think) Magma bought the rights for the sizer, and made improvements too, but alas the reloader press is in limbo-most probable never to return. With my wife helping filling primer and case tubes I have got 8-900 rounds per hour, and the machine was built like a tank, makes Hornady's LNLAP and RCBS Pro 2000 look like junk. Lee....well wont go there:crying: BTW my progressive presses, besides the Star, are an RCBS Ammomaster , and a Hornady LNLAP. I know the Hornadys have their following, but I was unfortunate enough to buy one serial # 200~, it was a floor sample. I did my research and thought I could get it up and running for 50-60$---NOT, parts just aren't available that I needed and ended up spending around 150$. At least when the toggle block broke, then later the handle, they gave me new ones. I think I am ready for the Blue koolaid.

11. jmorris

jmorris

I built an automated sizer for my cast bullets I use a dip lube though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

It's like shopping for a press, how much ya wanna spend?
    How much will you use it or how many bullets are you going to be sizing?
    How much time do you want to spend lubing/sizing?
    Yes the RCBS, Lyman or Saeco sizers are less $ then a Star.

But if it's something your gonna keep and use for years the difference in price wont matter later on, you'll be glad you have the Star!
    I wouldn't take my $ back for mine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

Bob

13. fredj338

fredj338

SOmething else to consider. The Star can size bullets nose first requireing only one base punch of 9mm to do all bullets from 9mm up (although I use a 9mm & a 44). So base first sizers like RCBS, Lyman & Saeco, require a diff nose punch for each bullet. That adds up. The $120+/- diff in cost is moot IMO. THe time saved using the Star is just so worth it.
    The cheap way to go is get a Lee bullet sizer that goes on the press,Alox lube or pan lube & size through nose first. Great for low volumn casting. If you cast & shoot a lot, the Star is easily worth the price & you need only sizing dies for the calibers used & one ot two top punches, a heater if you want to use harder lubes, that's it. With that, 1200-1500 bullets an hour is easily done.

14. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

What's a sizer/lubricator... is it something made by a subsidiary of Trojan? :dunno:

Jack

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Exactly, once you start comparing you see a couple things.

Lyman has a little bit of a bad rap. Read the midway reviews.

RCBS is a little more expensive but the same basic thing. BUT issues with top punch's not interchanging based on which press you have can be problamtic.

Just finding a top punch for your bullet is a PITA. Lee doesn't make punch's. People make them work but wouldn't you rather just have something that works?

16. zdogk9

zdogk9

I'm 36 days older than dirt. My star works just as smoothly as the day it left San Diego 8 years before I was born.

17. RustyFN

RustyFN

Damn that is old. :tongueout: How you doing dog.

I'm jealous Steve, congrats. I bought a Lyman with the heater and am happy with it but will own a Star some day.

18. BK63

BK63

Oh the hours I have spent online in the past week looking at casting equipment :wow: I have a lot of lead laying around in the way of muzzleloader ammo cast many years ago and tackle boxes full of lead weights also cast and never used. I'm wondering where I am going to get lead once I eventually use all of that up. One last question on lubing, as I looked a lot, watched a lot of videos but didn't find it.... I see the liquid alox lube which looks like that is used for sizing? Does one of these machines actually fill the lube ring for you when you are sizing?

19. ken grant

ken grant

The Lee Sizer and Liquid Alox works as well and fast as any and doesn't cost an arm and leg.
    No nose punch needed.

If you are shooting pistols, you may not even need a sizer depending on mold used. I use a Lee T.L. mold for .45ACP and shoot them unsized,just tumble lube.

I used to have both Lyman & RCBS sizers plus a couple of Lee's for all my rifles that I casted for but lost all my equipment to a fire and now I only cast .45's and the T.L. bullets work great.
    I now use commercial cast bullets for a Micro- Groove 30/30, already lubed,plain base and I still tumble lub them as well.

P.S.--- pure lead is not going to work by itself, you need a harder alloy.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  20. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Yes it fills the lube ring or rings on some boolets, there are many types of lube.
    I use the Carnauba Red from here, http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

This is what the lubed and sizes boolets looks like,

[​IMG]

Bob