close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Caspian Glock Slide ?'s

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FJR, Jan 31, 2007.

1. FJR

FJR

I see that Caspian is going to have Glock slides available soon. I was thinking of picking up a Caspian G22 slide. I would like to try out a red dot optic (Doctor/JPoint/Pride Fowler), and if I like it I would eventually have it melted down into the slide. I'd rather do this on a Caspian rather than my factory Glock slide.

Can anyone tell me if all of my factory G22 upper parts (barrel, fp, extractor, recoil spring)will fit/function in the Caspian slide? Also, if I ever wanted to make a cheap Open class gun for IPSC is it as simple as adding a KKM Comp barrel to my Caspian slide?

Like so.

KKM

Will this work combined with the rest of the factory upper parts, minus the factory barrel?

Thanks for any and all advice.

FJR

2. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Yep, all the factory components will fit/function in a Caspian slide. Yep, if the KKM comp barrel is "drop in", it is as simple as removing the stock barrel, replacing it with the threaded KKM barrel & screwing the comp on after the KKM is in the slide.

You'll like KKM barrels. I have several & Kevin McIntyre was both pleasant & fair to deal with. I also have several Caspian 1911 frame/slide sets. To my knowledge, they are simply the best available.

Ghost Tracker

3. FJR

FJR

Ghost Tracker, Thanks for the info. I just received some advice from the Competition section of GT, advising me not to try and make a competitive open gun out of .40 cal.

I am going to have to reevaluate what I want to accomplish with this gun. Thanks for the Caspian/Glock part info. It takes a lot of the guess work out of what I want to do.

FJR

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why? More mag capacity than .45 and doesn't require handloading major ammo like a .38 Super or 9mm major. I hear .40 is a pretty good choice, although I don't shoot open. I have built a Glock 22 .40 open gun, just haven't used it yet.

By the way, I just looked up the Caspian Glock slides and I am definitely going to put one on my open G22, just so I can return my stock slide back to stock configuration for other uses.

5. FJR

FJR

Bren, I am a novice when it comes to Open guns, so I cannot elaborate much on the subject.

Here is what I am finding over in the Competition forum.

GT

Thanks.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's one shooter's opinion and he doesn't address the need to load your own ammo to make major with the 9mm or .38 super. Also, while I don't know that m8uch about compensators, I know enough about reloading and physics to know that the softest loads within a guven power factor are made with the heaviest bullets, not a light bullet.

It may be that the comp is more effective with the light, sharp-kicking 9mm bullets that have to be loaded higher than factory pressure/velocity to make major, I don't know. However, if you load a 115 gr. 9mm to a 165 power factor and a 180 gr. .40 to a 165 PF - the 9mm kicks a lot more, since the power factor formula greatly overstates the effect of bullet weight, compared to the formula for calculating the muzzle/recoil energy. A nice safe light recoiling .40 load can probably kick less without the comp than the high-pressure 9mm/.38 loads kick with a comp.

If you are in the running to win the open nationals, then the extra ammo capacity of the 9mm /.38 might be an edge - reloads are clearly a critical time factor. However, for local matchs, new shooters, and even B/C/D shooters at major matches, I think a Glock .40 would be a very reasonable way to get started in either limited or open.

7. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

You can't beat Caspian.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My G24......:thumbsup:

8. FJR

FJR

10mm4ever,

What kind of optic are you running on your G24? I am kind of leaning towards the JPoint? I like to get it melted down into the slide and still have a front sight on the gun. In the event the dot went out, I could use the built in rear sight on the JPoint to shoot the gun. Also, that Caspian slide looks excellent. Did it come already cut for the ports? It has been suggested to me to get the 8 moa dot over the 4 moa. What size dot do you have, and which size would you recommend?

The red dot G22 is basically a fun gun for steel and such, but I wanted to be able to use it in Open class too, in the hopes of being classified major while still using factory ammo. I will be using Remington UMC LeadLess 180gr FNEB ammo. According to the factory the FPS at the muzzle is 985. I think this would make "Major" classification, but I'm not sure. That is the ammo I have the most of, and the best supply of, so that is what I will shoot.

If I use a comp'd KKM drop in barrel in a G22 will the comps bleed off muzzle energy dropping the gun below "Major" classification?

I'd like the ability to switch slides, comp'd barrel, 3.5lb connector, magwell, then go shoot "Open class" and just have fun.

Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

9. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever 10mm Pusher

That's a J-Point with the cover on. Although I didnt build this G24 and I'm not a competition shooter, I'll try to answer your questions. This Caspian slide was ordered in the "raw" and fitted to this frame. Then it was sent to Tripp for the lightening cuts(it's not ported)and Cobra Chrome and then finally the Stormlake barrel was fitted. I'd say an 8 moa would be better, it seems a 4 would be a bit to small for quick instinctive shooting. You could have a front sight mounted that's just tall enough to align with the existing rear sight notch, without the necessity of having the entire optic melted. Wish I could answer the rest of your questions and hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to put you in touch with the gentleman who built it, he's one of the best.

10. FJR

FJR

10mm4ever, Thanks for the info. I will PM you when I get back in town in a few days.

FJR

11. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

I have the original Tasco Optima (the design I believe the J-Point came from). I also have the small dot (4.0 moa?) BUT MY directions say I can stack two batteries in the case and double the voltage. That makes the dot MUCH brighter. So if you're concerned about being able to pick up the small dot during rapid transition...check & see if you can "brighten-up" the J-Point the same way.

A word of caution about genuine tactical use of this type of sight. I was doing a drill with one mounted on a shotgun and had to decend a dark (DARK) stairwell. In complete darkness the sight mistakenly believed the cover had been installed and TURNED ITSELF OFF! That's NOT a good thing to be surprised with when looking for bad guys!

Keep your powder dry,
    Ghost Tracker