Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been brought up before.

Now several businesses which are reopening are stating they will not take cash, only credit/debit.

Will COVID-19 and fear of potential future pandemics be the pretext for the imposition of a cashless society in the near future?

Discuss.

·
real dogs
2,524 Posts
Carrying our distressful situation to a potential failure of our system it will be cashless due to the level of criminal behavior replacing conventional payment. Thievery becoming the coin.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is it not against some law not to take legal tender if you are in business?

·
Native Mainiac
23,907 Posts
From the .gov itself. But if someplace wants only credit/debt for everything, they may not get my business.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

Legal Tender Status

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I know a guy who worked as an executive of Master Card about 25 years ago. His title was "Vice President," but bear in mind that he also said that MC has a few hundred Vice Presidents in charge of different parts of their operations (according to the guy I know). At that time, he told me that MC's goal was "to replace cash." Personally, I don't see it happening. I don't see society going cashless, and even if it did, there's always the barter system.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Small business sole owner businesses like cash. For a reason, they will continue to gladly accept cash. Do you think you hair cutter or wait staff prefers a cash tip or a credit card tip that the store books against their compensation?

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
Will COVID-19 and fear of potential future pandemics be the pretext for the imposition of a cashless society in the near future?
Heck, anything can be a pretext for any desired result.

Replace cash? Sure. The reason you replace cash:
1. your employees are stealing cash from the register;
2. your employees have to touch something that an infected customer touched;
3. you can better track down illegals who deal only in cash;
4. you can add a transaction tax at the state level for every electronic transaction.

Heck, I can think of dozens of pretexts. Then, when I go to Home Depot, Ralph's and other stores wherein their electronic transactions machines are down for a few minutes, I can do what I like to do - leave a big basket of goodies at the check out counter.

·
Registered
30,307 Posts
I pretty much operate "cashless" now.

I carry a couple hundred Dollars, but seldom spend cash. Everything is paid with a Discover Card.
Then the Card is automatically paid in full every month. Which gives me a little refund.

I don't need it, but I can see where it would be useful to have a record (credit card) automatically kept of where I spend my money.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Is it not against some law not to take legal tender if you are in business?
"This note is legal tender for all debts public and private."

Unless you already owe and are repaying a debt, no one is under an obligation to sell you anything. Stores can simply refuse to do business with you for any reason, outside of protected classes.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Small business sole owner businesses like cash. For a reason, they will continue to gladly accept cash. Do you think you hair cutter or wait staff prefers a cash tip or a credit card tip that the store books against their compensation?
This is just implicitly condoning tax evasion.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
4,345 Posts
I guess they don’t need my business then.

Reactions: bdcochran

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
I have no problems at all with cashless.

OTOH, I am not a disciple of Alex Jones.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
This is just implicitly condoning tax evasion.
It is condoning privacy. It is not my business what they do. That is between them, the government and their conscience. Maybe you should contact the IRS about turning your hair cutter in. I hear they give a reward of 10% of the taxes collected.

I don’t block lanes on the highway either.

If the federal government had not taken on doing a ton of tasks outside their purview, maybe our federal taxes would be small and equal For everyone and most people would not begrudge the amount. They might have a much higher level of compliance.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I stopped using cash when a Canadian at the beach bar reached in the front of his Speedo for his paper money to pay for his burger and drink.
I like Apple Pay. Simple, secure and clean.
That might just put me off of cash at that bar. You also see some women reach into their bra and whip some cash out.... never the ones that you want to see whip something out of their bra.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts