Glock Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First summer for this baby and while I wipe the blades down in the evenings, just noticed that I'm getting rust inside the knife casing (see pic). I live in GA and its really hot and humid so shouldn't be surprised, just didn't inspect in there. I'm thinking about doing the potato forced patina on the blades as I've done on other pocket knives but my question is- how best to remove this rust, and more importantly, how best to keep it rust free without having to wipe with a freakin Qtip ever night. Maybe use a thin wedge of potato and wip down those inner parts?
Geological phenomenon Freezing Snow Water transportation Glacial landform

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First summer for this baby and while I wipe the blades down in the evenings, just noticed that I'm getting rust inside the knife casing (see pic). I live in GA and its really hot and humid so shouldn't be surprised, just didn't inspect in there. I'm thinking about doing the potato forced patina on the blades as I've done on other pocket knives but my question is- how best to remove this rust, and more importantly, how best to keep it rust free without having to wipe with a freakin Qtip ever night. Maybe use a thin wedge of potato and wip down those inner parts? View attachment 255431
Just took a small piece of steel wool on the end of a Qtip stem and scrubbed with some oil so looks better, still need advice on keeping rust free if possible. Don't want much oil in that are due to lint collection.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
A 3M pad and a small screwdriver works pretty well for removing excess corrosion. Light weight oil will inhibit it somewhat, and yeah, it attracts lint. I've never tried this myself, but a little spray lacquer might help. A lot of knives come new with a light coating of lacquer on them, so they don't start corroding in the box.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 3M pad and a small screwdriver works pretty well for removing excess corrosion. Light weight oil will inhibit it somewhat, and yeah, it attracts lint. I've never tried this myself, but a little spray lacquer might help. A lot of knives come new with a light coating of lacquer on them, so they don't start corroding in the box.
Only recently began a love affair with Case knives, although I have numerous old knives, including Case. Think I'll put them up till cool enough weather for a true pocket knife and stick with a pocket clip blade during sweaty months. Haven't encountered any issues with those. Put a little coat of oil on the cleaned up interior and placed alongside others in the gunsafe for the time being.

· Banned
4,110 Posts
My advice would be to post this in the correct forum, this is the classified. How much are you asking for your rusty Case knife?

· Registered
39,638 Posts
I've usually found that it's much easier to blow out pocket lint, than it is to clean out rust.

Besides, some small amount of rust accumulating inside pocket/jackknives, on the spine springs, isn't the end of the world. Since the outside of the springs don't seem to rust as easily or as quickly, it's probably the moisture caused by body heat, combined with the inability for it to 'air dry', that lets it start the oxidation cells and keeps them going.

I don't check/blow out pocket lint all that frequently, but frequently enough, it seems.

I ordered some of this synthetic oil specifically for my pocket knives, and then added it to the collection of lubricants on my bench, and in my armorer kit, to use on my guns. http://liquidbearings.com/

I got mine from Amazon, btw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts