Glock Talk banner

Cars without cages

1089 Views 29 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  larry_minn
Posted for a friend of mine who's retired from the road and now does a transportation detail with a county SO:

He sees a lot of cars - even ones used for patrol - without cages. Anyone have a clue why this would be done, considering the terrible officer safety ramifications?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
All of our patrol cars have cages. For a short period of time under a previous administration the supervisor's cars did not have cages. They do now. All the cars I had on patrol had a cage. Only think I can think of is to try and save money. Terrible idea.

· NRA4EVR
12,850 Posts
CHP had a lot of units withiut cages. They said it was so that if they deployed on mutual aid situations - fire evacuations, protests, and such - they could run four deep en route to the county needing assistance. Considering how rarely that happened, and that they pretty much didn’t run code on those, there are plenty of big white vans.

Patrol cars without cages is ludicrous, and negligent.

· Registered
16,882 Posts
CHP had a lot of units withiut cages. They said it was so that if they deployed on mutual aid situations - fire evacuations, protests, and such - they could run four deep en route to the county needing assistance. Considering how rarely that happened, and that they pretty much didn’t run code on those, there are plenty of big white vans.

Patrol cars without cages is ludicrous, and negligent.
And yet I've met guys who defend not having cage, they put suspects in the front seat.

I always tell them that I'm pretty sure we haven't been aresting the same people, alot of the people I've hooked up over the years were either so violent or so disgusting that I would have tied them to the hood before I put them in the front....

· Premium Member
4,146 Posts
I always tell them that I'm pretty sure we haven't been aresting the same people, alot of the people I've hooked up over the years were either so violent or so disgusting that I would have tied them to the hood before I put them in the front....
Nothing like trying to get blood and poo out of the upholstery.

Working patrol rigs need a cage and hard plastic seats, IMHO. Admin vehicles not so much.

· NRA4EVR
12,850 Posts
Nothing like trying to get blood and poo out of the upholstery.

Working patrol rigs need a cage and hard plastic seats, IMHO. Admin vehicles not so much.
I never saw why admin needed Criwn Vics. Except for one chief deputy, we never had anyone above the rank of sergeant who made any arrests. Admins could drive a Civic or Corolla - they really don’t even need a four-door.

· Premium Member
4,146 Posts
I never saw why admin needed Criwn Vics. Except for one chief deputy, we never had anyone above the rank of sergeant who made any arrests. Admins could drive a Civic or Corolla - they really don’t even need a four-door.
We issued them to admin for three main reasons: standardization, we got a good price on the state contract, and because our mechanics liked them. Later we did the same thing with Explorers. Worked OK for us, but we were a much smaller agency than I believe you are. Our admin (Lt. and up) would definitely help patrol but basically never transported.

· Registered
17,157 Posts
All our patrol cars have full cages. Supervisor cars do not. K9 and detectives cars aren’t setup for transport either.

According to directives a two man unit can transport without a cage but I never allowed that to happen. I always called for a caged unit for any transport.

Why risk an issue.

· Registered
16,882 Posts
All our patrol cars have full cages. Supervisor cars do not. K9 and detectives cars aren’t setup for transport either.

According to directives a two man unit can transport without a cage but I never allowed that to happen. I always called for a caged unit for any transport.

Why risk an issue.
Exactly.

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,065 Posts
I've seen small agencies where a new squad was used as an unmarked adim/super car, then given to patrol use where a cage was installed and marked.

Other than that, no.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Reactions: steveksux and CAcop

· Premium Member
4,128 Posts
We have lots of uncaged cars. That‘s because we often ride four deep when responding to Mobile Field Forces, and no one wants to ride in the back seat in a caged car. We also have a procedure for prisoner transportation in a car without a cage. The partner officer rides in back with the prisoner.

While by and large, most of our cars do have cages now, our circumstances are rather unique. Our standard patrol unit is always two officers per car, and we often ride four deep.

· Registered
14,452 Posts
I hated the cage cars. I’m tall. It would keep us tall people from adjusting our seats properly. Then add when we used the cars to transport other officers in the back like foot posts of a four man car. Then if the footpost made and arrest, they rode in the back with the perp . And with cage, it’s very tight back there. Talker perps had a hard time fitting in.
The nice thing about a cage car was just being able to throw the perp in the back and then we could concentrate on working the other stuff going on at a scene .

· Registered
1,244 Posts
And yet I've met guys who defend not having cage, they put suspects in the front seat.

There's always the trunk!

· Registered
11,379 Posts
Think lots of places are working on budget of next to nothing.

CHP use to auction off decommissioned Cars, msny were bought by small police agencies to reuse.

Back in the late 90’s, CHP retired Cars at 60 miles.

Cages cost money, some place have no money to spend on much.

· Registered
38,674 Posts
I've seen small agencies where a new squad was used as an unmarked adim/super car, then given to patrol use where a cage was installed and marked.

Other than that, no.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk
That's what happened with us. Lieutenant cars would get rotated to patrol after several years with low miles. The joke was they only drove to the coffee shop on the wharf and back once a day.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
About half of our patrol units don't have cages. Budget reasons. Of course about half of our patrol guys never arrest anyone because they are lazy. The proactive guys have cages.

When I was a rookie, the chief deputy told me to get into his truck. No cage. We went to pick up a crazy guy who had threatened a federal judge. The chief deputy put the crazy guy in the back seat. I was instructed to sit in the back seat with the crazy guy and to keep my .45 pointed at the crazy guy's head until we get to the jail. No problems during transport.

· Registered
11,379 Posts
Well I hate to say a Cage is not an option, but history has show many bad thing happen without a cage.

Cages are cheap Officers lives are not.

Recall TV show were Oklahoma Highway Patrol arrested fellow, put them in passanger seat for ride to jail.

Thought this was 🥜’s.

Reactions: Jarhead Al
1 - 20 of 30 Posts