close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carrying with NY1 trigger upgrade

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by travk1234, Feb 11, 2010.

1. travk1234

travk1234

Do you think this would add some problems if you were to use your handgun in a SD incident?

2. Just1More

Just1More

Just hope for an understanding jury, I guess. Good luck.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

upgrade????

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. travk1234

travk1234

IDK if it would bee a upgrade. I was just wondering

5. jmb79

jmb79

What do you mean by "add some problems"?

Are you asking whether the NY1 would make it harder for you to defend yourself with you Glock? Or are you asking whether the presence of the NY1 in your Glock would somehow increase the probablity that you would be prosecuted successfully in either criminal or civil court?

In either event I think the answer is a firm "no". First, for those who like the feel of an NY1 trigger (I am not among them) I suspect they shoot more acurately with the NY1 in place. Secondly, the presence or absence of an NY1 trigger has no impact on whether a self defense shooting was legally justifiable.

So, if you like the NY1 use it and if you don't like it don't use it.

6. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

No problem. The NY1 is an approved modification/option for defensive guns according to Glock, and it is also used extensively in LE. That pretty much negates any questions about it being appropriate for SD.

7. 220-9er

220-9er

Look up the reason for the "NY" part and there's your answer.

8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I just got off the phone with Glock and they told me that they don't have a list of approved trigger variations for carry.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

You're going to shot your eye out.

:rofl::rofl:

10. Thorazine

Thorazine

Yes.

You should carry with the heaviest trigger imaginable.

I modified mine to have a forty six (46) pound pull.

Additionally...

If you ever have you use your handgun in a SD incident and if they find lot's of action movies in your house those can be used against you in court.

Especially if your movie collection consists of lot's of Bronson "Death Wish" titles...

The prosecutor will try to paint the vigilante picture.

11. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Don't know just how you phrased the question, but Glock, Inc. does approve some triggers and connectors for defensive purposes and some not. They teach it at the armorer school and the instructor school. Mas Ayoob will also point out, "There is a long history of Glock factory literature adamantly stating that these trigger pulls are for competition, not duty or defensive carry." He was discussing lighter triggger pulls, but it seems apparent that there are some that Glock says are for defensive carry and some that are not for defensive carry. Personally I don't know what an "approved trigger variation" is either, so you may have confused the good folks at Glock.

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I asked them specifically what they authorize for SD use. They said they didn't have a standard. I asked about 3.5, NY1 & 3.5, their response was there is no approved list. We ship guns with the requirements that are requested by the end user. This trigger stuff is a major waste of time. The G34 and 35 ship stock with 3.5 connectors and more than a few people use them for HD/Carry. I choose NY1 and 3.5. YMMV

13. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

ALL my Glocks, including my State IDPA Glock 17 have a 3.5 connector and a NY-1 trigger spring. Gives a steady 8 lb pull.

Problems? Nope. Works fine and the gun shoots fine. No loss of accuracy or speed.

Deaf

14. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I think that might be the problem. Glock doesn't "authorize" anything. Glock teaches that certain triggers and conectors are appropriate for certain activities. Naturally Glock cannot authorize anything for anyone outside of their own employees.
    Depends on what yo uconsider a waste of time. Attorneys, trainers, jurors, etc. all take it into consideration for some situations, and agencies regularly specify trigger parameters as part of their requirements.

15. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

An attorney would have a field day with that in court.

16. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

An overzealous D.A will try anything to get a conviction, from making the arguement your a gun toteing vigilante because you carry a special edition "Rambo, kill em all" gun, to claiming you were trying to make it easier to kill someone because you modified your weapon, or even saying commercially manufactured ammo must not have been deadly enough for you, so you carry your own handloads.

That being said, trigger modification to a lighter trigger may lead to a "hair" trigger accusation, but a NY 1 firmer trigger could actually help in your defense because it could be argued you chose that trigger to lessen the chance of a ND in a stressful confrontation.