Carrying with a red dot

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by josey, Oct 20, 2020.

1. josey

josey

Is it now a days common to carry with a red dot installed ?
    And, if so , for the ones that do , do you keep the red dot always on or it has to be turned on when you draw the gun ? I am curious ...
    It seems to me a very cumbersome thing to do , besides seeing it in Hollywood movies, that is , with the guy carrying a red dot on his gun and drawing and shooting everybody else as easily as drinking a glass of water

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Red dots may look cool in movies, but they take serious discipline to draw to quickly. Some dots are auto on, some are manual, depends on which dot you get.

Buckshot Barry and Willard like this.

3. josey

josey

Yes, I agree very much with that . It looks not a practical thing to do and somehow unreliable . What if it doesn`t turn on ?
    The whole thing is very sketchy ... for the range it is OK and even for home defense , but carrying is not a good idea , the way I see it .
    Not trying to impose my view on anybody ... just trying to see the positive angle of it ... It may look very cool on photos , but the practicality of it escapes me.

4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Yes, my carry gun has a red dot, Trijicon SRO.

And yes, it's always on. I think the battery life is around 3y, and it get's replaced annually.

I feel this will be the future for duty pistols as they have become on rifles.

pgg00 and Willard like this.
  5. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Yes, I daily carry a RDS. It is activated by movement, so when it's on my hip, it's always on.

As one ages, it can be difficult, or impossible, to focus on the front sight. The reticle of the RDS is in the distant focal plane. Much easier to see.

Also, in an emergency, one tends to "target-lock", making it even more difficult to see the front sight. Since the RDS is focused in the same plane as the target, it appears crisp and focused, naturally.

In the unlikely event that I draw, and the RDS is dead, I still have suppressor-height iron sights as backup.

rlewpolar, Sharkey, B0308 and 3 others like this.
  6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

No-- to carry it you should be proficient with it. Floating red dot takes longer for me personally to locate than the bumps on top of the slide.

I have not found the red dot to be an advantage over regular sights that I am familiar with...more a liability or handicap under extreme stress. Good for a range toy and for precision shots, not as fast for me. I have trained more with the standard sights than RDS.

As a defensive CCW weapon, I am not trying to impress anyone with my "tactical ninja gluten-free operator" gun hardware, so though I have several RDS mounted pistols I could wear, I don't carry with it.

Iceman cHucK, jhc37013 and -JCN- like this.
  7. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

I have carried a G19 with an RMR for years (pre MOS). The dot is always "on" 24/7/365. You can get 3 years of "on" out of most batteries (Duracells are best). Most change the battery out once per year. It takes considerable practice to draw so the dot is auto-indexed on the target and you don't have to "fish" for it.

Buckshot Barry and MCCM like this.
  8. pgg00

pgg00

I carry one now. Both off duty and on duty. Optic is always on. I change the battery annually

-JCN-, Buckshot Barry and Willard like this.
  9. Chowser

Chowser

mine is always on. We were issued Trijicon RMRs this year for our duty weapon (gen4 Glock 31). I had plenty of Glocks to carry off duty but I chose my gen5 45 to mill for an RMR and I carry that off duty. It was the closest in size to the 31. No issues. My RMR is the same as the one we carry on duty.

10. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

My red dot on my carry gun is always on no worries and if it’s not the sight is there again no worries

9D942E48-3298-4E8B-9228-C3FFBB815108.jpeg

Tom-R2, OdinIII, pgg00 and 2 others like this.
  11. Taz

Taz

I’ve carried a G19 with optic since pretty much the release of the MOS system, so that’s close to 4 years. I would NOT recommend one that has an on/off switch for carry or duty. But that’s just one opinion. I’ve used Trijicon RMR abd Holosun. The Trijicon is always on and the Holosun has a shake to wake feature if it’s in a drawer or safe, but when being carried it pretty much stays on. I change batteries on my birthday.

They are NOT a magic talisman that will cure your shooting ills. An optic will actually highlight your flaws for a time after you transition. Sloppy draw stroke... They can also be a decent diagnostic tool.

As with EVERY system it has pros and cons and may not be for everyone. If your eyes are lagging and the focal shift from front sight to target and back is getting slow a dot that allows for fast, accurate, target focused shooting at ALL ranges may be a good thing. There is good reason why must top level competitors run dots. IMO we are in the same boat as RDS on carbines and rifles. There was a time when the carbine/rifle mounted RDS was just crazy talk. Now look at wherever are. The same transition is happening with pistols.

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Inside of 7 yards, if your dot happens to go out, just frame the target with the window. Some LEO departments are starting to use dots, mostly specialized teams like SWAT. And the dots are way, way better than what we used in the 70's when they first came out. The Tasco ProPoint was one of the first, and heaviest, bulky, short batter life, small window sight....compared to todays dots.

13. JGIORD

JGIORD

The dot makes an insignificant difference in regards to carrying. It does not effect your draw and is faster and more accurate when shooting, especially if your eyesight is failing.

Anyone knocking the idea without even trying to use one really has no basis for their argument. I am sure some people will never care for them but they are gaining in popularity and I think they are the wave of the future.

rlewpolar, PaseMkr, JN01 and 2 others like this.
  14. pgg00

pgg00

Currently in WA over half of the recruits are being sent to the academy with red dots on their weapons. It is taking hold

G26-Has-my-6 likes this.
  15. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I believe a green laser works better than a RDS. At least it does for me.

16. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Got my first red dot a couple of months ago for my competition pistol to do Carry Optics division. Range day 1, zeroed at 15 yards and shot on paper. Range day 2, went and shot steel much faster and accurately on plate racks and trees. Bingo. I knew from that moment I was better with the dot.

Why was I better almost immediately. Because my eyes aren't so good. But based on what I've seen at competitions, it makes the young kids with good eyesight faster as well.

After my second range day shooting steel, I knew I would end up going with a dot on my carry gun. I've got a Hellcat OSP arriving today. Will probably shoot it a while with the iron sights and add a dot in the next couple of months.

17. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

I shoot sometimes with the red dot turned on and sometimes with it turned off using the tall sights.
    I carry with the dot off and use the Night sites most of the time.
    Occasionally leave the dot on for the day.
    No surprises when I need to use the handgun either way.

18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Good, hope they instill the fundamentals first, grip, stance, sight picture and trigger control, regardless of whether it's a dot or irons.

TheDuckhunter likes this.
  19. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

one advantage of a dot over a laser is that when the laser is off target, in say a big open area, you lose the laser and have no idea where it is. With the dot you can see the location regardless of the background.

PaseMkr and Michaelk1950 like this.
  20. pgg00

pgg00

Yea. The instructors will pull batteries for some days and they have to shoot with their back up irons. All the instructors have mentioned that scores are way up now since dots have come in