Carrying while in the driver's seat

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kneeoh, Feb 21, 2005.

1. kneeoh

kneeoh Dammit Jim!

I was just curious to know your solutions for concealed carry while you are in the driver's seat. I found that access to my pistol is limited if its holstered. The only solution I've come up with is to carry righty while behind the wheel. One advantage of this is that it forces me to practice off hand shooting, but it still feels weird. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

2. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

shoulder holster.

3. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

Personally use an Andrews "Carjacker" in RH for driving. It is able to snap onto the belt or seat belt and remove quickly.

4. kfoley

kfoley Break glass

I use my CTAC when I'm driving. I just move it up to about 930 or so. Not fast, but more accessible than at 800.

5. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Speedrock-

What is this holster, the "carjacker"? Do you have a link or pics?

-Bo

6. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

This is a problem that I've looked into for police officers. Most cops do not have the option of carrying another gun crossdraw or in a shoulder holster during normal patrol.
    One option is to learn to draw your ankle-carried backup gun with your right hand.
    Kneeoh is right about practicing with the off-hand.

Some of us were born to use the right hand, while some of us were born to use the proper hand.

7. kneeoh

kneeoh Dammit Jim!

Thanks Guys, for all the answers so far. This Southpaw forum Rocks!

8. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

I have a rather unconventional carry method. I carry my G27 in a 3rd Generation Sidearmor IWB with the almost-vertical cant (5 degrees) on my RIGHT side at the 3:30-4:00 pants loop. The advantages for me are:

1.) With the vertical carry on the weak-side, the pistol's biggest offender with regards to concealability (the bottom corner of the backstrap) is minimized since it's pointing forward and does not project beyond my body. It's very inconspicuous.

2.) Having the pistol in a virtually vertical position leaves the pistol's slide in the same position. This means that when I sit in a chair or car-seat, the only thing that protrudes rearward is the rear sight. Bending down is no problem since there is nothing to poke out and scream: "Look.....a gun!"

3.) Extremely comfortable, especially when sitting. Plus, it's very unobtrusive and doesn't "print" like a pistol.

The disadvantages:

1.) To get a grip on the pistol means you need to reach pretty far around to the right side of your body. Being 6' 2" and only 160 lbs., I don't really have a problem with the "reach".

2.) As with any cross-draw application, you have to sweep the gun across your body. Drawing from a strong-side holster avoids this.

Since this is the only way I carry my G27, I'm quite used to it.
    Also, since the pistol will be carried every day, all day and will (hopefully) never be drawn in self-defense, I kinda figure that comfort is a very important factor in whether or not I am willing to carry a gun all day long. I can't drive for very long with a pistol on or behind my left hip, but it's much more comfortable hanging off the pants loop on my right side.

All I can suggest is that you might want to give it a try.

9. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

My center console works fine as a "cross-draw holster".

The gun is supported muzzle-side down, so it's fast to grab it with my left hand while I quickly flip open the console with my right hand.

10. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Its definately a tough nut if you're expecting the jacker to approach the drivers door. I just keep a can of oc in the side pocket door for that contingency. The couple of times I've really been worried I just drew the gun and sat it under my right thigh where it was right hand accessible.

11. GDSKAHRS

GDSKAHRS

I dont worry about changing the holster position I just have another holster in the car to move the gun to. I usually keep the gun in a iwb holster between the consil and the drivers seat. The only problem is I would have to pull the gun week handed but at the typical car jacking range of fire, there would be no problem.
    The only negitive to this is when you get to your destination, you need to take a few extra seconds to reholster your wepon in your primary cary rig.

12. Alogusz

Alogusz

13. shark_za

shark_za Woes

In South Africa the steering wheel is on the right side, as opposed to the wrong side ;o)
    All the righties have the hassle here, me I'm stylin.

14. outlaws161

outlaws161

I have IWB on the strong side and just raise my shirt just under the weapon so that it is exposed. That is if i am going to be in a bad Place. No one can tell except if you were siting to my right side. My .02;f

15. metallic

metallic

There is a nice recess in front of my gear selector in my Xterra. My G27 fits there nicely and blends right in. You would have to look real hard if you are outside the vehicle to even notice that it's there.