Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a North Carolina CHP and will be driving to the New York Adirondacks fairly soon. I know that there's no reciprocity for Maryland or New York with North Carolina, and I drive through MD to get to NY on I-81, so my question is, how do I transport my Glock? Bury it in luggage (I drive a Jeep, so there's no trunk), keep it in the glove compartment... or is it illegal to carry it at all in any way in those states?

Thanks for any advice!

· Registered
34,073 Posts
I looked into MD transport before I went on vacation last year. From what I gathered it's pretty much impossible so I didn't bother. Don't know about NY. No trunk may complicate it even more.

Someone will chime in with more details.

· Registered
17,442 Posts
Is your pistol legal at all in New York?

I'm pretty sure you need a New York Pistol Permit to touch a handgun in NY, or you need to be going to a bonafide shooting match as an out of stater.

In Maryland you can only have a gun in your car if traveling to or from a range, hunting, gun shop, and maybe one or two other exceptions. You can't just drive around Maryland with a gun in your car because you want one.

Now federal law normally would protect you in Maryland if both your origination and destination places were legal for you to possess the firearm. But since you are probably not legal in New York then federal law will not protect you traveling through Maryland.

I think on this trip you need to leave your gun at home.

· Banned
45,550 Posts
Is your pistol legal at all in New York?

I'm pretty sure you need a New York Pistol Permit to touch a handgun in NY, or you need to be going to a bonafide shooting match as an out of stater.

In Maryland you can only have a gun in your car if traveling to or from a range, hunting, gun shop, and maybe one or two other exceptions. You can't just drive around Maryland with a gun in your car because you want one.

Now federal law normally would protect you in Maryland if both your origination and destination places were legal for you to possess the firearm. But since you are probably not legal in New York then federal law will not protect you traveling through Maryland.

I think on this trip you need to leave your gun at home.
What about shipping it? Just curious. Could that "fly"?

· Registered
200 Posts
You can bring a handgun into NY if you are attending a match and have some proof ( ie., match handbook, etc.). If you're driving thru NY you'll be ok as long as the gun and ammo are seperate and locked up securely. Of course it can still be a crap shoot. I lived there over 50 years before moving to AZ, and was a Licensed Firearms Dealer and had a CCW, and I would not take a weapon back with me if I was visiting ( mainly because I would be going thru NJ....talk about Draconian laws. ). Whatever you decide to do, read up on the laws, maybe call the State Police before going.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys... I sincerely appreciate it.

No, I don't have a NY permit...and I'm only going through MD for about 15 minutes on I-81. Since we'll be in the middle of nowhere, about 50 miles from the nearest town of any size, I thought it would be a nice place to get some outdoor practice in. Guess THAT won't happen...

· Adirondacker with a Glock
2,830 Posts

· Super Moderator
62,403 Posts
Check out www.handgunlaw.us. A good resource to keep handy.
Here is the link to the Stat of NY page: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

Here is the relevant section from that page. Bold emphasis is mine:
Transporting Firearms Through New York

The best way to travel through NY or any state that has restriction is to carry a copy of Title 18-Part 1-Chapter 44 926A of the federal code with you. Some law enforcement may not know the law. DO keep the firearm in a locked box. Keep ammo in another locked box. No ammo in Magazines or speed loaders in the trunk or if no trunk as far back in the vehicle as possible in a locked box. By NY Law if you are traveling across the state and can legally possess the firearm where you started and where you are going you can transport it as above. But if you stop in NY and spend the night in a motel/hotel/camp ground etc you are in violation of NY law and can be arrested if found with a firearm. Stopping for gas and food would most likely be OK but this is not a given in NY.
United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44

§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.​

· Adirondacker with a Glock
2,830 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.