Carrying OC (pepper) spray?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jsferrazza, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Hey Guys!

So in talking to local guys at the range and what not, I'm finding that a lot of people don't carry OC (pepper) spray. I personally carry OC spray with me every day along the rest of my EDC set up (firearm, spare magazine, knife, etc.). I like having a less-lethal option in case a situation occurs where I wouldn't be justified in using deadly force.

If I don't want to, or can't, carry a regular bottle of OC spray then I go with something more "low profile" like the picture below. This is just a little larger than a ball point pen, and looks like one when clipped in a pocket.

[​IMG]

I'm just curious as to how many of you carry it as a part of your EDC set up. If you don't, then why not?

Thanks!

BDM71 likes this.
  2. K511

K511

Although a fogger is a great counter defense for multiple assailants, especially in group dynamics, the more concealable sprays usually employ a stream.

For example, that pen streamer that's previously posted would be a disaster in a panic situation. You would have to be extremely careful to locate where the spray nozzle is, then direct it to the eyes of an assailant. The propellant in streamers usually are oil based and present complications when stagnantly carried in the same position. Every streamer I've had, clogged and sputtered after long term carry making it unreliable.

BDM71 and Jsferrazza like this.

3. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student

Never leave home without it. A loose one is always in the armrest of each car (the last thing one wants is for wife to have to turn off ignition in order to have access to one on her keychain), the desk drawer at office, the nightstand, and hanging on a hook by front door, back door, and in each of three locations in the garage. This size is both convenient and discreet. I make a point to replace them every year. Plus I must give away another 20+ a year to nieces, nephews, and various others who are used to living in Condition White.

Attached Files:

powernoodle, Jsferrazza and lya8ch like this.
  4. Triumphrider

Triumphrider

Scroll through the pages here and you will see over 100 different pepper spray products. I particularly like the Wildfire and the Mace products. A couple of the Mace sprays combine OC, tear gas and a UV dye.

http://www.safety1stdefense.com/pepper-spray.html

Jsferrazza likes this.
  5. lashlaruhe

lashlaruhe

During CCW training by deputy Sheriff, he told of carrying pepper spray and firearm at same time. Woman shot person and didn't use the lesser force of pepper spray 1st. She ended up in court because of that.

G.L.O.C.K likes this.
  6. K511

K511

When I was first sprayed in the eyes with a streamer, it took 40 seconds to kick in. I had to certify this way in order to carry it on my belt. I don't know how many people will stand by after being sprayed just to see if/when it will work. Most prisoners can kill a person bulldog style in less than 5 seconds. An ex-con will usually have experience with the effects and most likely close space to prevent deployment of any weapon.

Please try to understand that attacks happen in way less space than ideal. My first impulse would be the 21" collapsible baton vs knife or spray. A baton will allow the rapid creation of space against an attacker to be able to deploy something else.

A basic friction lock can be used for jabs, strikes, fending, holds, pulls, locks and throws. I think of it as a metal light saber for stick fighting. Hopefully some day instructors will learn to stop posing in the bladed Rex Applegate stance to make ready and just strike a bad guy on the draw. I train for two hits. The first hit is on the draw of the baton (fend), the other is to the leg to immobilize.

When jumped or about to be, a fogger will save your a** .

I only carry foggers. It prevents escape within larger areas vs an individual, getting all the seen. You'll need at least an arms length to deploy it though as with the various other sprays.

Nunya Business and nursetim like this.
  7. nursetim

nursetim

I carried this when I was a bouncer a couple of decades ago. A friend I bounced with and I were horsing around. I whipped it out and he egged me on to spray him, so I did, but it didn't work! It incompasitated him alright, laughing uncontrollably on the nasty barroom floor.

AZ allows OC spray, even in a weapon-free environment as it is classified as a condiment, or so I am told.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I agree that pen one is stupid but with most canister types, even keychain ones, the nozzle is directly opposite the activation lever so that's not a big deal. It's not that hard to hit your target.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

And what happened?

Bogus case. It's like saying if you have a cell phone on you you have to call 911 and wait for cops before you can shoot in defense of your life. Either it's a valid, good, shoot or it isn't.

nursetim and Jsferrazza like this.
  10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I used to carry OC, but I misplaced it.

11. glock collector

glock collector

I teach oc, at -25 below with it in a gals purse will it drizzle out? Indexing a sabre can in the dark quickly can be tough, in close quarters fighting you should expect to get just as much on you... and a perp with a hoodie, glasses and a ballcap just above the eyes, spray wont be effective, unless you have pin point aim, not something afforded under stress. Out of every 1k of students that already carry some form of oc, probably 1 or maybe 2 have actually sprayed it prior. Folks whine about .25 cents every time ya pull the 9mm trigger, how bout 43.00 for the kimber spray? just to "practice"...points to ponder.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  12. A6Gator

A6Gator

2 oz Fox OC. Not every situation is a nail looking for a hammer.

Sam Spade and Jsferrazza like this.
  13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

if its not in a high pressure can, I'm not going to mess with it. A 2 oz high pressure can is as small as I am willing to go. I have no faith in these key chain and novelty inspired sprays.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  14. John Biltz

John Biltz

I carry one when I go on walks. I think of it as something to discourage aggressive dogs more than anything else. I also walk with a cane.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  15. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student

There are many types and strengths. I carry 10% OC. I had my wife test it on me several years ago. First with just a spray to the chest. The fumes go straight up to be inhaled through the mouth and nose. VERY irritating. Then I had her spray it straight to my face. EXTREMELY irritating. It's not intended to put someone down, it's intended to preoccupy them while (a) they reconsider their conduct, and (b) the user safely escapes. As A6Gator correctly notes, not every situation is a nail in need of a hammer.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  16. fg17

fg17

Almost always have OC with me. Have used it a lot through the years. Results range from attacker falling on the ground like they were shot to people hardly noticing and continuing to fight. But it's usually somthing in between. Key is to move, don't just spray the person and stand there.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  17. fg17

fg17

Forgot to mention. I would carry spray before a lot of other weapons. I once had a guy come at me swinging a collapsible baton. I hit him with OC and kicked him in the ribs to subdue him worked great. Have also used it or had freinds use it succesfully on people with edged weapons, bats, bottles and a hammer.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

When choosing OC, I think a person should also keep in mind that they are very likely going to get cross contaminated at some point. Consider that before you select a can of the hottest OC on earth. You may have to fight through it as well.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  19. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I had a buddy volunteer to let me test my OC spray on him. He's the "macho man" in our group of friends and didn't think it would affect him. Let's just say he cried for a good while, and then moaned and groaned for the rest of the day about it.

All in all, it was quality bonding time for us :supergrin:

20. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I've sprayed people, been sprayed, and been involved in use of force when it was deployed by another person...F THAT. I don't hate, don't love it, it's definitely not apart of my concealed carry gear.

Carrying a concealed weapon is turning into a contest to see who can conceal carry a duty belt the best. After Caetano vs Mass I'm sure in no short time we'll see threads with people asking about concealed carrying tasers.

Nunya Business likes this.