Carrying in the hills of NE Georgia...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Tactically Fat, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

Hi all. Long time member, few time poster here.

Think I'll have any potential "issues" in / around the greater Helen, GA area? It's a definite "touristy" area. My family and I are planning on going in a few weeks. I CC 99.8% of the time, but if it's hot and sticky enough, the cover garment may come off.

I've been reading through the GA page on Handgunlaw.us. Generally the same as Indiana - though not identical. I am confused, however, on the prohibition on government buildings. 16-11-127 (a)(2) (A-C) kind of even make it seem like state park nature centers and visitor centers are also a prohibited place.

So - I presume things there will be just like they are here in Indiana.

2. alien1

alien1

I can not answer this question legally since I am not from Ga. However I just came back from a mc ride in E TN W NC and N GA no issues anywhere. The roads I traveled are mostly backroads. People in these areas are mostly mind your own business types. Don’t bother them and they will return the favor in kind. Ask for help and they will be more than glad to help you though.

3. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I am from IN but carry in Georgia when I go to see family there. I make a habit of keeping my firearm well concealed when away from my familiar digs, but that is just me.

Have fun!

ruffhunter likes this.
  4. Falling Crow

Falling Crow NRA Life Member

I would like to know also-I will be on Mount Yonah 7/1 to 7/3.

5. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

That's been my experience in most of the areas of the country I've traveled.

A) I think we've met. B) where in GA do you usually go? This'll be my first trip to this part of the state and I'm really looking forward to it. The last 20 years or so my few trips to GA have been east of ATL about 40 miles. Covington/Conyers area.

If you see a big out-of-place Hoosier hiking with two giant little kids and super tall wife - wave at me. And offer to help me hike up Mt. Yonah. We plan to tackle that while we're there. 7/3 is when we leave.

6. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

Legally your fine, but Helen is pretty touristy so to avoid any trouble just keep it concealed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

First shot likes this.
  7. Falling Crow

Falling Crow NRA Life Member

I will be the old guy wearing an old ALICE pack going up Mt Yonah the morning of 7/1 with a group of scouts and back down again on the morning of the 3rd!

ruffhunter likes this.
  8. unit1069

unit1069

If you hear a banjo playing somewhere beat a hasty retreat back to your vehicle.

[​IMG]

ruffhunter, Orive 8 and fredj338 like this.
  9. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Usually go to Marietta, Smyrna, Atlanta area. Sometimes, even Winder. lol

10. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

I'm not sure yet the day we'll try the hike up. Maybe the coolest day. LOL

11. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Born and raised in Georgia. Consult GeorgiaCarry.org and GeorgiaPacking.com for info on carry here.

Things to know:

1. "Gun Free Zones" on personal or business property have no legal standing. Anyone may post that you are not allowed to carry on their property. But this posting carries no legal weight, provided you do so concealed and they do not find out. They cannot have you arrested, as their posting holds no legal status. BUT they may kick you out if they discover you are carrying, and if you refuse, they can call the police and have you arrested for failure to leave private property. Note that nothing in the charges will refer to your gun.

Of course, this does not apply to US Government offices like post offices. But other state and local government offices must scan you in order to enforce the prohibition. If they don't scan you, then it doesn't count.

2. If you are pulled over in Georgia you don't have to inform the policeman that you are carrying.

Also, while you are in the area you may want to venture down to Dahlonega. Nice wineries down there if you are into it. Plus the Smith House is a wonderful all you can eat Southern treat.

12. First shot

First shot

I have old friends down that way, and if you “aren’t” carrying a sidearm, they’ll probably just think you’re some weirdo from some place else... Great folks there and they love to feed ya!! Enjoy yourself...

13. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

Packing up the rental now! Well, my wife is, anyhow.

Haven't yet decided on if I'll carry the Shield or the G17. The G19 has an RMR on it and I'm a long way from proficiency.

All day hiking means I'll likely have the Shield. Scorpion is packed up, too... But we'll be really tight on space. Plus we'll be in a hotel with no real way to secure it. Plus I won't be lugging it while hiking. And using the vehicle as a gun safe is stupid. Looks like I just talked my way out of taking it.

14. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

Not that anyone really cares, but I didn't have to shoot anyone in IN, KY, TN, NC, or GA on our trip.

Helen, GA (and all of the mountainous region of northern GA) are gorgeous. We had a GREAT time hiking to several waterfalls and hanging out with family in/around Helen.

In the rush to get packed up and leave the house the day we did leave, I completely forgot to strap up. Yep. Forgot my Shield. I did have my JFrame and 2 holsters, though, so there's that. Good job there, dad. *Sigh*

So - I carried the 642 every day all day - mostly AIWB. Got caught in an absolute DELUGE at the bottom of a 1-mile ravine hike one day. We were thoroughly and completely soaked from stem to stern.

I did have to disarm once or twice when visiting the USFS gift shops and what-not at a few spots.

Ran in to one guy on a hike who was printing terribly and who had a gun-shop shirt on. I asked him what he was carrying. Caught him off guard. He was like "good eye!" I'm like - dude, you're not fooling anyone. He said it was a CZ. Carried in a Serpa (sigh....at least it was a DA/SA gun in a Sperpa Derpa).

Anyhow - I did spy several people carrying guns in/around the area. I did not notice anyone making a big deal about it / them.

ruffhunter and kahrcarrier like this.
  15. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Sounds great! Glad you had a safe trip, j frame and all.

16. Tactically Fat

Tactically Fat

It was a great trip! Despite not getting the rental vehicle we reserved (Minivan...) - the SUV we got (Ford Edge) ended up being way better on a few of those barely maintained mountain roads we found ourselves on. We won't tell Enterprise about the "wet crossings" .

ruffhunter and kahrcarrier like this.
  17. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

This. Go to the georgiacarry website. Lots of good info there.

www.georgiacarry.org

FillYerHands likes this.