Carrying G26 vs G48

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Johnssd2, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

delete: doubletap

2. ADP3

ADP3

I am boring. I own only three firearms these days. I found that they meet almost all of my needs. A Weihrauch HW30S air rifle takes care of the rest. The three firearms are a G26.4, a G26.4, and a G26.4. Concealed carry, hiking, fishing, range, truck, nightstand, and open carry, it takes care of them all. I've owned buckets of pistols since I got my first handgun in 1968. Some were better looking or more powerful, and some were more accurate or more historic, but the G26 is sufficiently powerful, sufficiently accurate, sufficiently concealable and eminently practical and absolutely reliable. The only change that I've made was adding steel sights. I spend the rest of my gun budget on ammo and the occasional extra magazine or recoil spring assembly. I sometimes check out newer offerings but nothing I see makes me think that I'm missing out on anything.

Best Regards,
    ADP3

3. jamppp

jamppp

I really like the 26 - grip size especially for XL hands. It has the "girth" and with the Pachmayr pinky extension, feels like a full size grip.
    I just can't see where the 48 would offer any advantage. Yes it's slimmer and 3oz lighter, but the 26 with the shorter grip (especially across the back) makes it so much more concealable.
    I think if I were starting from scratch, especially here in NY I might consider the 48 over my 19, but I really like the full grip I get with the 19/26, and my 42 is the "when attire requires something smaller".

Pistolay, AJShooter9 and Johnssd2 like this.
  4. texasKA

texasKA

I have both. I carry the g26 more often, my proffered carry is OWB. the 48 I'll carry appendix.

Johnssd2 likes this.
  5. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

Thanks a ton. I was sorta thinking the 48 may replace the 26. I was curious about what the thinness of the 48 would do even with the longer grip. Sounds like not much. Reading your experience is super helpful.

MCCM likes this.
  6. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

Thanks. I have two of those 12s too. They’re great.

7. AJShooter9

AJShooter9

Have only had the 43x, very close to 48, and I ended up selling it in favor of my g26. With the grip length on the 43x it printed just a hair more than the fat but short grip on the 26. I honestly just shoot the 26 better, almost best out of all my guns actually. Always my first choice to carry. If can't for some reason it's the p365 or g42. But usually the 26. And all the options on mags is a huge bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

jamppp and Johnssd2 like this.
  8. NYhunter518

NYhunter518

I have owned well over 20 pistols that I have bought to replace my G26/27’s for edc including 2 single stack 9’s none have replaced them yet. The 26/27’s aren’t the best at anything but they do everything well. I know they shoot way beyond what they should for me and most others who’ve shot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dghost, seang23or32 and Johnssd2 like this.
  9. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

Thanks buddy. That speaks volumes.

10. tommyhof

tommyhof

I'm going to pick up a 26 in the near future, would like a gen 5, but don't care for the front serrations, not against them just think the 26 looks better without. I did have a gen 4 for years but like an idiot traded for an sp101. Just going back to old faithful lol

Johnssd2 likes this.
  11. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

what else have you been running that has you going back to old faithful?

12. rvrrat14

rvrrat14

Got 26, 43, 43X, 19; The 26 is EDC, hands down. The 19 is for serious shooting!

MCCM and Johnssd2 like this.
  13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

The 26 is my choice it uses all the 9mm magazines magazine

MCCM and Johnssd2 like this.
  14. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

Thanks all. For the moment I’m sticking with the 26.5. No need to chase the next thing right now. Taking it to a class in March.

MCCM, Quigley and HardRice like this.
  15. tommyhof

tommyhof

Shield, which I really like, and will carry when attire requires something thin, but I have been carrying my 19 quite a bit and figured might as well go back and I do still have 7 mags three with GAP mag bases.

Johnssd2 likes this.
  16. MCCM

MCCM

I never had a G48 although I would rather have that than a 43X. But I did carry either a Shield 9mm or a Kel Tec PF9 (also 9mm). I actually sold my Shield to help fund my G26.5 which is my new and favorite CCW. The Shield carried really well AIWB. But it was hard to draw. The G26 though carries almost as nice, actually conceals better and draws much easier with my Fierce Defender holster.

17. NFEDERIC

NFEDERIC

What the heck are you guys wearing that you are having printing issues with the grip on a 48/43X?
    Just curious. What type of holsters are you using? I use a UBG iwb Striker at the 330, and even with just a t-shirt, I can hide a G45. My 43X in the same type of holster disappears.
    Again, not trying to be a jerk, I'm really curious.

18. sonoma

sonoma

After putting 2 layers of bike inner tubes on the 43X or 48 grip they are almost perfect for large to XL hands.I do love the G26 but the slimness of the single stacks if carrying iwb is pretty noticeable.For me the best way to explain it is when I put on my jeans and carry the G26 it's like I gained 5 pounds compared to carrying the 48 or 43X.

19. E.Bar

E.Bar

People are short, tall, skinny or fat, long in the torso or short. In other words, body shape more than clothing can determine what and where an individual can carry. For instance, I tend to be short waisted and fat around the middle, AIWB is just a no go for me. Way to uncomfortable. I carry at 3:30 IWB, but because of my middle I tend to push out the longer grips. A shot gripped 26 disappears.

jamppp likes this.
  20. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I carry in Vedder LightTucks at about 2:30, and I wear loose-fitting clothes. I'm another one that AIWB just doesn't work for me. I'm also paranoid about printing. I don't want to be noticed, especially by the kinds of people (both good and bad) who tend to notice such things. I pay attention myself, and I do occasionally see people who probably don't realize they're printing, even sometimes AIWB, although much less often.

Whenever these discussions come up, you see pictures of guys standing with their arms at their sides with a carefully fluffed out shirt saying "see, I don't print." But that's not how you spend your life. When you start moving around, lifting your arms, etc., that gun is probably going to print, especially strong-side and on the hip. And the taller the grip, the more it's going to poke out. I carry in front of the hip to try to minimize it, but that's not foolproof either, especially when sitting and leaning on a table or counter.

Care or don't care, it's your choice, but don't kid yourself.